• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass Trim / Chamfer Question

TXCOWDOC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2010
Aggieland (College Station, TX)
I use an RCBS power trimmer and the trim mate unit to trim my brass. My question is: When chamferring the brass with the Trim Mate, does it matter whether I go inside 1st or outside 1st. How much do I bevel the neck of the brass? I'd have to admit that I'm not consistent with the length of time or pressure applied to the brass while the cutters are turning.

Re: Brass Trim / Chamfer Question

Inside first. Doing the outside just removes the burs from chamfering the inside.

Makes no difference.

You are removing burrs/sharp edge from trimming to length. Many chamfer the inside significantly more than the books say to (myself included), usually with VLD chamfer tools.
The Lyman book says just enough to break the edge or just enough to remove the sharp edge left from trimming.

If you are in need of having to hit the outside from inside chamfering, that's too much.

Buy a Giraud and sell the RCBS stuff to help pay for it, trim/chamfer a case every 5 seconds, less time reloading = more time shooting!