• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Brass Trim Question

smokey24_24

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but I've searched and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm still fairly new to reloading so apologize for the elementary question...anyway I've cut down some .223 brass for .300 blackout, FL sized, and then trimmed. When chamfering and deburring I noticed that some of the brass had jagged cuts...will those cases be acceptable as fouler rounds? Not looking for precision out of them but don't want to waste them...also don't want to do something stupid and use it if it is dangerous in any way...thanks guys!

Fine as foulers, nothing dangerous there, the issue is just that those jagged edges can scar the bullet jacket as it seats and cause erratic accuracy.

Your chamfer process should eliminate jagged or rough edges, so there's an issue in your process somehow. What tool are you using?

Fine as foulers, nothing dangerous there, the issue is just that those jagged edges can scar the bullet jacket as it seats and cause erratic accuracy.

Your chamfer process should eliminate jagged or rough edges, so there's an issue in your process somehow. What tool are you using?
I was using the hand held Lee Cutter...I'm waiting for a replacement piece for my Frankford Arsenal Trim Center...not sure why it was such an uneven trim...only thing I can think of is that I didn't keep it straight when using the hand held cutter.

Well, you can just rechamfer it and try to clean it up, won't hurt unless you go way, way too short. Or just use it as fouler brass until it stretches enough to trim it and set a new chamfer. NBD.

Reactions: smokey24_24
I was using the hand held Lee Cutter...I'm waiting for a replacement piece for my Frankford Arsenal Trim Center...not sure why it was such an uneven trim...only thing I can think of is that I didn't keep it straight when using the hand held cutter.
Were you using a drill or doing it by hand?

Either way I'm guessing the Lee cutter was new and jumped around on the case mouth because it is too sharp. Brass is soft, a sharp cutter will grab and dig in. If you don't have a ton of "feel" experience, or a stop set, you should stone the cutting edges to dull them up a little. That will eliminate the chatter.

Well, you can just rechamfer it and try to clean it up, won't hurt unless you go way, way too short. Or just use it as fouler brass until it stretches enough to trim it and set a new chamfer. NBD.

Were you using a drill or doing it by hand?

Either way I'm guessing the Lee cutter was new and jumped around on the case mouth because it is too sharp. Brass is soft, a sharp cutter will grab and dig in. If you don't have a ton of "feel" experience, or a stop set, you should stone the cutting edges to dull them up a little. That will eliminate the chatter.
This makes a lot of sense...I've only used it a handful of times. I had it chucked on the drill and a few pieces definitely had "jump" to it when cutting.

Ah, ok. If you chuck it in a drill, make sure to run on the lowest speed setting, and start with very light pressure. It wouldn't be very hard to "chamfer" a case all the way down to the case head if you put some elbow into it, @sjmpcc022 has the right of it with regards to trimmer vs. brass interactions.

Ah, ok. If you chuck it in a drill, make sure to run on the lowest speed setting, and start with very light pressure. It wouldn't be very hard to "chamfer" a case all the way down to the case head if you put some elbow into it, @sjmpcc022 has the right of it with regards to trimmer vs. brass interactions.
I appreciate the confidence. Journeyman tool and die maker since the mid nineties and I do a shit ton of tool grinding.

I would suggest take the trimmer out of the drill and use it by hand. You're only trimming .010 or so of length, it comes off fast and easy. Get used to the feel of it and how it cuts. When you feel good about it, re chuck it in the drill, SET THE STOP, and go slow. You will get the hang of it. If it still won't work, mail the trimmer to me and I will stone the cutting edges for you and set it all up, no prob!

Good luck!!!!

Reactions: smokey24_24
I appreciate the confidence. Journeyman tool and die maker since the mid nineties and I do a shit ton of tool grinding.

I would suggest take the trimmer out of the drill and use it by hand. You're only trimming .010 or so of length, it comes off fast and easy. Get used to the feel of it and how it cuts. When you feel good about it, re chuck it in the drill, SET THE STOP, and go slow. You will get the hang of it. If it still won't work, mail the trimmer to me and I will stone the cutting edges for you and set it all up, no prob!

Good luck!!!!
I suppose my confidence was in his drill having a slow enough setting, haha. A powered chamfer tool is not new, I own one made by Frankford Arsenal and they’re hardly the only game in town. That said, my Milwaukee hand drill would be too fast I expect. Fair point.