• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brass Trimming Question - .243 Win.

Rmitch223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
Oklahoma City
After my initial load testing I noticed that the cases have stretched slightly (not unexpectedly of course). They are different lengths, I assume because of the different charge weights. None of them are over the max length of 2.045". Should I trim them all to a equal length or not worry about trimming this time around because they are not passed the max length? Would I gain consistency by trimming them all to the trim to length of 2.035"?

Initial testing was done with brand new never fired Remington brass.

Thank you,

Ryan

Re: Brass Trimming Question - .243 Win.

Ryan,

It's a safety issue, and has very little to do with accuracy. So long as your cases are all below the max listed length, you'll be just fine. Once several start getting close to that limit, trim the entire lot back to the minimum "trim to" length, and you're good to go.

Trimming to the same length can be important for uniformity when you're loading rounds that <span style="text-decoration: underline">require</span> a crimp (tubular mags, revolvers) but not that much of a concern otherwise. I'm assuming you're not crimping for you 243 (probably no reason why you should be), so I wouldn't worry about this.