• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bravest squids Ever......

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Possible the wreck of the Destroyer USS Johnston found.....

Its so shattered they can not positively ID.

"A large Japanese fleet has been contacted. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

LCdr Ernest E. Evans

“In no engagement of its entire history has the United States Navy shown more gallantry, guts and gumption than in those two morning hours between 0730 and 0930 off Samar,” – Rear Admiral Samuel Eliot Morison in his seminal “History of United States Naval Operations in World War II” regarding the Battle of Samar.

His devotion to protecting the Marines fighting onshore went beyond providing them cover with the allotted amount of ammunition. He often ordered his ship in so close to shore it was hit with small arms fire. When Evans demanded more ammunition, he climbed into a wooden gig and motored over to the task group’s flagship to request it in person. And he got it.

Last edited:
    Badass as fuck. Thank you for the great read...

anim_beer.gif

ETA: In the 1960's, most World War II veterans were in the prime of their lives. I bet a lot of them really beat the ever living shit out of the hippie fucks that were trying to destroy the country at that time... After seeing the shit that they have seen in perhaps the most brutal conflict fought in world history, I am sure these guys simply will not tolerate an ounce of nonsense coming from entitled cowards.

Last edited:
    Possible the wreck of the Destroyer USS Johnston found.....

Its so shattered they can not positively ID.

"A large Japanese fleet has been contacted. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

LCdr Ernest E. Evans

“In no engagement of its entire history has the United States Navy shown more gallantry, guts and gumption than in those two morning hours between 0730 and 0930 off Samar,” – Rear Admiral Samuel Eliot Morison in his seminal “History of United States Naval Operations in World War II” regarding the Battle of Samar.

His devotion to protecting the Marines fighting onshore went beyond providing them cover with the allotted amount of ammunition. He often ordered his ship in so close to shore it was hit with small arms fire. When Evans demanded more ammunition, he climbed into a wooden gig and motored over to the task group’s flagship to request it in person. And he got it.

How did that tin can not capsize under the weight of LCDR Evans giant brass balls when he was on the bridge?

Wow. I cannot imagine the chaos of the situation which would shatter a ship so extensively. Incredible.

During the Battle of the Bulge, there were numerous reports of entire trees being severed in half by MG and rifle fire alone. The advent of repeating and autoloading small arms greatly increased the 'quantity over quality' equation when it came to exchanging fire with enemy combatants. This also settles the sadly still-circulated bullshit about the US Army switching to the 5.56x45mm cartridge in the 1960's because the bullet was "designed to wound and tumble upon impact". NO... The Army adopted the 5.56x45 because it was smaller, lighter, and enabled each individual soldier to carry a much larger quantity of ammunition. Earlier research conducted by military officials have revealed that infantrymen would exhaust an entire battleload of ammunition within the first few minutes of a firefight.

This video demonstrates how it took SIXTY EIGHT .50 BMG rounds at fairly close range just to cut down a medium sized tree... Now think about the Battle of the Bulge and some of the Pacific naval engagements such as this one in the OP... The sheer volume of fire exchanged must have been overwhelming.

Last edited:
    During the Battle of the Bulge, there were numerous reports of entire trees being severed in half by MG and rifle fire alone. The advent of repeating and autoloading small arms greatly increased the 'quantity over quality' equation when it came to exchanging fire with enemy combatants. This also settles the sadly still-circulated bullshit about the US Army switching to the 5.56x45mm cartridge in the 1960's because the bullet was "designed to wound and tumble upon impact". NO... The Army adopted the 5.56x45 because it was smaller, lighter, and enabled each individual soldier to carry a much larger quantity of ammunition. Earlier research conducted ny military officials have revealed that infantrymen would exhaust an entire battleload of ammunition within the first few minutes of a firefight.

This video demonstrates how it took SIXTY EIGHT .50 BMG rounds at fairly close range just to cut down a medium sized tree... Now think about the Battle of the Bulge and some of the Pacific naval engagements such as this one in the OP... The sheer volume of fire exchanged must have been overwhelming.

Ive seen that first hand. I bought a Barrett M82-1. Took it to a buddy's house to shoot it. We shot into a wooded hillside for a while then went down to have a look. even that small amt looked like a warzone. I remember looking at a hole that went through three 18" pine trees like you pulled a string line. We had a beer and then went back to shooting. After about 2 minutes a State Police helicopter came slowly up over a ridge behind us, surveyed the scene and left. I reckon someone called about the bombs going off and when they saw we were shooting safely and legally into a hill side just left.

• Love
    Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Wow. I cannot imagine the chaos of the situation which would shatter a ship so extensively. Incredible.

The ship was certainly shattered.

The description from the Cmdr of a sister destroyers last observation of Evans at the rear of his stricken ship, seriously wounded, yelling commands to his men in the steering gear area to control the rudder by hand so they could return to the battle and likely death, yet waving a greeting with his good hand to the fellow Cmdr, is both inspiring and heart breaking.

Likely the shredding damage to the ship occurred when on board depth charges exploded as it sank.

Those destroyers were literaly tin cans. Ive been to visit the Cassin Young and the side plate is all wavy cause it doesnt have a bunch of structure.

A small group of destroyers going up against 1 BB let alone a fleet with CGs and DDs is nuts.

Likely the shredding damage to the ship occurred when on board depth charges exploded as it sank.
    Possible but I don't think likely.

I doubt the depth charges are armed on the racks until they're ready to be launched/dropped.

Possible but I don't think likely.

I doubt the depth charges are armed on the racks until they're ready to be launched/dropped.

Was thinking same - who wants to ride into battle with 55 gallon bombs armed. My comment based on comments of two in the vid and collective wisdom (unwisdom) of comments.

That ship is the deepest they have found.

Its so close to the Philippine trench there are snail tracks indicating where parts of the debris have slid to even deeper depths.

Unsure if a depth charge can explode on its own from the incredible pressure. Kind of like the explosives being the concentrated uranium and the water is the shaped charge that gets it to go critical.

BAMF
    NH-63368-1024x834[1]_LI.jpg

During the Oct. 27, 1943, commissioning ceremony of Johnston, Commanding Officer Evans made his mission clear to the Sailors assigned to the ship: “This is going to be a fighting ship. I intend to go in harm’s way, and anyone who doesn’t want to go along had better get off right now.” No one did.

Ernest_Edwin_Evans.jpg

BTW those old enlisted covers are way sharper than the stupid ass dixie cups. They should bring them back in white and toss the dixie cup in the trash.

Last edited:
    BAMF
    View attachment 7174476

BTW those old enlisted covers are way sharper than the stupid ass dixie cups. They should bring them back in white and toss the dixie cup in the trash.

Wet, damp in Seattle in October they needed that wool.

Im thinking they are on the stern of the Johnston.

He is probably within feet of the auxillary steering area.

What a great movie the story of the battle would be if people gave it the Spielberg/Hanks effort and not the Ben Afleck/Pearl Harbor account.

Last edited:
    Still waiting to hear anything about my great uncle's sub the SS211.
    I hope they find it before I croak they ran hard from pearl harbor to sometime late war interesting history some of the first enemy kills of WW2. Had a ringside seat at the battle of midway. Actual location is unknown.
    Thanks PM for your post!

Bravest?

Not sure, there were/are a lot of really brave Squids. (BTW, it's spelled with a capital "S")

If not, they're damned near the top.

Greg

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
    Bravest?

Not sure, there were/are a lot of really brave Squids. (BTW, it's spelled with a capital "S")

If not, they're damned near the top.

Greg
    I'd sure as hell count any sailor who rates that medal hanging from a star studded sky blue ribbon as one of the bravest of the brave.

Among that elite group are Captain John P Cromwell and Commander Howard Gilmore. Both submariners.

Add to that list too Vice Admiral (then Lt Cdr) Lawson P Ramage, arguably the ballsiest American sub driver of WW2, which is saying something.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Add to that list too Vice Admiral (then Lt Cdr) Lawson P Ramage, arguably the ballsiest American sub driver of WW2, which is saying something.

I have a friend that lives in western Massachusetts.

He lives at the top of the mountain in a town called Florida.

At the bottom of the mountain in the valley of the Deerfield River is a town called Rowe.

I believe Rowe to be the smallest town in Massachusetts.

Lawson P. Ramage came from the town of Rowe.

Ramage House is the family homestead from which he hailed.

I have stayed in the Ramage House when it was a Bed and Breakfast.

I believe the father of Lawson was a manager at the local pulp mill.

The mill shut down in the 80s if I remember right.

The town than lived off of servicing workers from the Yankee/Rowe Nuke plant.

The plant shut down in the 90s.

Now the town lives off of rafters riding the Deerfield.

There is a small bar in Rowe that has not been updated since the 30s.....Pixies.

Ive had a few beers there and probably sat at a bar that members, of the Ramage Family, if not Lawson himself, bellied up to.

This does not make me anything like Lawson Ramage, I could never be.

Reactions: 308pirate
    I have a friend that lives in western Massachusetts.

He lives at the top of the mountain in a town called Florida.

At the bottom of the mountain in the valley of the Deerfield River is a town called Rowe.

I believe Rowe to be the smallest town in Massachusetts.

Lawson P. Ramage came from the town of Rowe.

Ramage House is the family homestead from which he hailed.

I have stayed in the Ramage House when it was a Bed and Breakfast.

I believe the father of Lawson was a manager at the local pulp mill.

The mill shut down in the 80s if I remember right.

The town than lived off of servicing workers from the Yankee/Rowe Nuke plant.

The plant shut down in the 90s.

Now the town lives off of rafters riding the Deerfield.

There is a small bar in Rowe that has not been updated since the 30s.....Pixies.

Ive had a few beers there and probably sat at a bar that members, of the Ramage Family, if not Lawson himself, bellied up to.

This does not make me anything like Lawson Ramage, I could never be.
    We should meet there for a few beers and a toast to the Sea Services.

Sailing into a battle group on a tin can is pretty far out there.

That said, all the guys who went out on subs in the Pacific were brave or oblivious. Highest casualty rate in the services, 20% didn’t come home.

I must have walked by it 100 times, and I’m still moved when I think about the submarine memorial in Pearl. (Yea, I’m a bubblehead)

Sailing into a battle group on a tin can is pretty far out there.

That said, all the guys who went out on subs in the Pacific were brave or oblivious. Highest casualty rate in the services, 20% didn’t come home.

I must have walked by it 100 times, and I’m still moved when I think about the submarine memorial in Pearl. (Yea, I’m a bubblehead)

It takes special psychological preparation and fortitude to serve on a submarine... It is claustrophobic, sweltering hot, and noisy. And you know that only a metal wall is shielding you from hundreds or even thousands of PSI of water outside and if a leak springs up anywhere in the ship, that water is going to be coming in with the same force as a cutting jet. Above all that, you run the risk of getting depth-charged by the enemy. Not a pleasant way to go at all.

It is even more dangerous to be deep underwater than in the vacuum of space. You are literally confined in a metal tube with everything outside trying to crush you into pulp. If something goes wrong on the outside of the ship, you cannot simply execute an EVA and fix the problem.

Those who serve aboard them earns extra respect just for this alone...

We should meet there for a few beers and a toast to the Sea Services.

Ive been looking on the net for picture of Ramage House and coming up empty.

Its a nice old New Englander white clapboard house run in the "center" of town.

Last I was up there its no longer run as a B&B.

I was wrong about the father "managing" the pulp mill. The family owned the pulp mill as Ramage Paper or some such.

Searching the net I see the town is planning on tearing down the remains of the mill and making a park.

Doesnt take make of an excuse to have me want to toast the Naval services, best transportation around for fighting people. Could shoot some steel at my friends farm if the cows arent out in the pasture.

Just sayin' he's not the only one among the bravest. There are a lot of outstanding Sailors up at that level.

Greg