• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Break for Remmy 300 ultra mag

aac_shooter

Silence is Golden
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2010
The Hill Country, Texas
I am looking for a good break for my Remington 700 in 300 RUM. I want max recoil reduction, but do not want to feel like I got punched in the nose after I shoot. I also would prefer to have no ports on the bottom of the break. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Break for Remmy 300 ultra mag

LOL I had handed my 300wby down to my 300lb+ older boy, wow he complains like a baby shooting off the bench, just hates the rifle, while the younger boy 180lbs has the same rifle & don't mind it.

One of the gents in the know probably can point you at a solid bottom break, I can tell you from exp the MB weatherby puts on their rifles is impressive, my 100lb daughter could sit & shoot groups with a 30-378 accu I had, felt like a 243 till that MB was removed.

The USCG MB sold by Smith Ent inc for the M14 is solid on the bottom not sure he sells that in Direct Connect as you seek.

Good luck with that.

Muscle Break hands down. I have one on my .338 Edge and I can shoot that all day, well as long as I can afford to, and my shoulder is 100% fine. It is an AMAZING break.

i have to agree with the muscle break . i have used several other well know brands and feel it is the best i have used . it also seems quieter for the shooter than others . have one on my 10 lb 338 edge , and love it .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One of the gents in the know probably can point you at a solid bottom break, I can tell you from exp the MB weatherby puts on their rifles is impressive, my 100lb daughter could sit & shoot groups with a 30-378 accu I had, felt like a 243 till that MB was removed.

</div></div>
Bugs, the weatherby brake doesn't look like anything special but you are correct, it works very well. I have had experience with them on several of the overbore cartridges and it turns them into .270 or less!
Of course none of this helps the OP so I will shut-up now!!!

Fat Bastard, Little Bastard, Badger FTE

muscle brake or Holland's QD brake. By far the best

I've gotten a couple from RWS. Best brake for the money hands down.

Here's one on my 338 Edge.

S8001327.jpg

I had a Defensive Edge brake on my 300RUM. It worked great and had minimal blast. Usually took it off for hunting though.

Not to hijack, but Cinch, what is your reason for taking the break off for hunting? Is it something you feel is necessary, or just personal preference? I've heard several people say they do the same, just not sure what the purpose is. ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very happy with my RWS brake. Certainly the best brake for the money. Mine were $40 delivered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us </div></div>

That is a EXC price - how good is it at reducing the punch?

I left them on for hunting when I had rifles with them.

The ports are angled back a bit making it more effective than most. It is a loose copy of Hollands excellent radial brake. It works very good at reducing recoil. The rifle in the picture is a 338 Lapua that pushes 300 graon Bergers to 2925fps. The original brake made it feel like a 12 guage 870 with magnum ammo. Now it kicks like my 20 guage 1100. On smaller bore rifles like a 300Wby it works even better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am very happy with my RWS brake. Certainly the best brake for the money. Mine were $40 delivered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us </div></div>

+1 on the RWS brake. Email Ross either with what you need, or ask questions to what he recommends. I got one of his brakes for my Rem SPS 300 Ultra Mag (factory barrel) and it reduced recoil great. I can now see my bullet impacts in the scope, when before, I was coming way off the target.