• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Break free bore paste

sawtoothtaxi

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
Idaho
Just wondering if any of you use it. The local gun shop owner sold me some and said it worked great. I sent 25 patches down the barrel and am still getting dirty patches. I can't believe my rifle was that dirty. Should I keep following the directions and keep going til I have a clean patch or am I going to end up doing some harm to the barrel. It says it won't harm the bore

Re: Break free bore paste

Are the patches black chances are your removing barrel.Other then restoring a nasty super fouled factory barrel I see no use for bore pastes.

The patches are black. It is a factory barrel on my deer rifle. It says on the tube to run patches til they come out clean.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawtoothtaxi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The patches are black. It is a factory barrel on my deer rifle.<span style="font-weight: bold"> It says on the tube to run patches til they come out clean. </span></div></div>

Probably made by barrel makers
wink.gif

With a one peice coated rod and bore guide use Butches Bore Shine, BR Bore Brushes & Cotton Flannel Patches. Throw everything else in the trash.

The only thing I've used my JB Bore Paste for is lapping 1911 slide to frame fit when I've peened them to tighten.....

I wouldn't stick it in any of my barrels.

It is an abrasive like JB or USP so they will continue to come out black. I use JB regularly at 200-300 round intervals. I hit the throat area to smooth out the throat and prevent carbon build up. Otherwise I use Butch's or Shooter's Choice and brushes for regular cleaning.

DMS that a great idea. Most people on this site dont get the carbon out of barrels which i know for a fact will ruin it. I dont disagree that alot of people overclean them but its a must when you do to get all that carbon out. I recomend a issoi treatment every 200-300 rounds unless its a big caliber then it needs done every 100 or more.