• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

break in ammo for 5r 308 and method

Re: break in ammo for 5r 308 and method

First thing I would do is throughly clean the barrel & action. My 5r came very dirty from the factory. I dont think it really matters what ammo you use, just keep an eye on how much copper build up your getting. My 5r had a fowling problem near the bore, due to some tooling marks. After about 300 rounds the problem went away.

First thing I would do is throughly clean the barrel & action. My 5r came very dirty from the factory. I dont think it really matters what ammo you use, just keep an eye on how much copper build up your getting. My 5r had a fowling problem near the bore, due to some tooling marks. After about 300 rounds the problem went away. I did the one shot clean for ten rounds, then 3 shot clean for about 30 rounds. I couldnt tell you if it made a difference, but I can tell you my gun shoots around 1/2 groups all day long.

In mine, copper fouling was very heavy for the first 50 rounds or so. I'd take a good copper solvent and clean frequently at first.

Assuming you've cleaned the packing goop out and mounted glass,
why not try some top drawer match ammo and patiently shoot 4 or 5,
5 shot groups at targets such as the first of these(see link below) that LowLight
prepared for us some months ago.

If your shooting technique is sound and the ammo is high quality,
(Federal GMM, Black Hills, Hornady match[We're talkin .308Win?])
then any incongruity in the groups will indicate whether an
early cleaning is warranted. I believe this process is adequate
break in as 25 methodically placed shots is bound to burnish any
jagged burrs in the bore, and you'll have a control to base any
improvement or degradation down the road.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileS...=US&lang=en

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nightowl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the best break in ammo for a new Rem 700 308 5r and the method
thank you for your help
George </div></div>

Just shoot the shit out of it after the first clean. Hell, I didn't even clean my recent AIAWSM, or the GAP 300 win mag. Just took it to the range and shoot it.

Cleen it before you put anything through it, and then have fun. I didnt "brake" mine it all, its a waist of time. I have seen mine shoot better then 1/2 MOA @ three hundred yards in a guys hands better then mine, and none of that 3 round group crap, 5 rounds.

I would break in the rifle with the same ammo I intend to use in it normally. This will ensure that the wear produced will correspond to the same bullet obturation pattern in both instances.

My technique involves 20 rounds; shoot one, clean for five, then shoot three, clean for the remaining 15. Whatever's gonna happen should be done happening by then.

There is serious dispute regarding the value of a deliberate break-in. Thusly, I limit what I'm going to do to twenty rounds. I have also dispensed with using abrasives in the process. I absolutely agree with a thorough cleaning when the rifle comes O/O the box. The interiors of new bores have been universally filthy, in my experience; with particular emphasis on big, scary, gritty substances. I once actually managed to scratch glass with the dirty patch from a new bore.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nightowl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the best break in ammo for a new Rem 700 308 5r and the method
thank you for your help
George </div></div>

Official break-in procedure for Remington M24 rifles (the military 5R remmy700)
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/downloads/m24_maintenance.pdf

I would invest in some KG12. This stuff by far trumps all when it comes to removing copper. Sweets, Shooters Choice, of even Butch's can't hold a candle to this stuff. And the best part is that it works best without a bronze brush. I recently broke in my new 5R a few days ago. I vigorously cleaned the copper out of the barrel after each shot for the first 5 shots. Then the next 10 shots were made cleaning every two. I noticed the fouling was lessening as well as the copper build up.

I recommend removing the copper in this maner when breaking in the barrel to ensure that you are polishing the throat. As the throat being rough produces most of your copper problem and fouling problem. Some say that a rough throat will produce copper plasma. Therefore you don't want to keep the copper from building up and the next bullet embedding the copper even futher in the rifling. A clean bore will allow the bullet to smooth the imperfections easier with more consistancy. And as we know consistancy is the key. Once there is little to no copper at the muzzle then I consider it to have worked.

First clean all of the carbon from the barrel. Once clean, wrap a patch around the jag (Parker Hale style) soaking it with KG12. Then start at the breech and work the patch back and forth in short 4" strokes toward the muzzle. Don't let the patch exit the muzzle until you are ready to discard it. I run 2-3 of these soaked patches through the barrel each firing sequence during the break in as explained above. Don't be surprised is the patches come out with carbon on them. This stuff works wonders. It is amonia-free so you don't have to worry about etching the barrel. I then run a dry patch through to remove all of the KG12, then run a patch of Hoppes (whatever solvent you use to remove carbon).

If you have to use a brush use a nylon one. I know many say differently put I believe that a bronze brush will damage the crown. Any even with a nylon brush make sure you are cleaning them frequently, this keeps the crud on the brush from repeatedly being dragged through the barrel.

No I dont work for KG I just love this stuff. Check the Frogs pad he seems to appreciate the KG stuff too.