• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Breaking down a Saiga 7.62X39 Rifle.

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
I know this is a bit off the topics usually covered here on the hide, but I just came across a Saiga 7.62x39 rifle. Its a cheap AK knock off and I'm just having fun with it.

I've replaced the stock and grip, and working on a new trigger and bolt. I'm also putting a new fore end on with picatinny rails. My problem is I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the stock fore end off. If anyone has any experience with this rifle, please share with me how to break it down.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Re: Breaking down a Saiga 7.62X39 Rifle.

Thanks, I was on that already, very informational, however, like all the other places, it says and shows the removal of the retainer screw at the bottom of the fore end. My problem is I don't have a screw and don't know what is holding it in place.

Very confusing...

Is there a lever,,like an AK foerarm?

Post some pictures

If you can throw up a photo of the front of your rifle I'd be happy to help out if I could.

Is there a set screw under the front of the receiver? It's been a while since I converted mine, but I seem to recall a small screw under there that locks into the portion of the handguard that is seated in the receiver.

HTH...

Adventurer,

I might be one of the only people to purchase a Saige without the set screw. haha It looks the same as all the others that I've seen, just no screw or screw hole...

When I get in from work tonight, I'll get some pics up for you guys. Hopefully, It's something simply that I'm missing.

Thanks for the help, and after this little project I'm sticking with the AR's. lol

No problem. As I re-read your second post, I see that you've already addressed that - sorry. I could totally be wrong as well, I've got to take a look at mine again and try to remember what it looked like originally.

I guess I'd say try this, without seeing it - remove the gas tube, remove any retaining screws/bolts you can see, and try to pull the handguard forward firmly but not so firm it would damage the rifle.

They can be fun projects if you have the time to devote to them.

Does yours require a bullet feed ramp installation?

Thank you all for the advice given. This will be a fun project as long as I don't run into any more problems. haha

A trooper that works with my department on occassions, stopped in last night and turns out he is familiar with converting these Saiga rifles.

So, where everyone with a retaining screw holding their fore end in place, I wish i had that gun. My fore end is in place by magic. haha Not really, but nothing is holding it there. We were able to get it off with a wooden block and a rubber mallet.

Where the retaining screw is supposed to be, I have a hard plastic notch that needed depressed in order for the fore end to slide off.

Once again, thanks to all that had advice for me. I'll get some pics up as the project moves along. Just waiting on some backordered parts now.

On my Saiga I converted the screw that held the sling swivel ran through and held the forend on.

First,

The Saiga is not an AK knock off. It's made using the SAME receiver that izhmas uses to make their Military AK-47 and AK-74 and AK-100s for every military that buys from them.

They are just Neutered because politicians are nansy-pansies.

Second, the sling-swivel screw doesn't really hold onto the barrel unless you have a Shotgun, which you said you had a 7.62x39.

Third, look just beyond the handguard on the bottom of the receiver, if you see a little flat screw there (should be normal flat screwdriver) take that out.

If you have NO screw on the receiver (never heard of this happening) then make sure the sling-swivel screw is out, then just take a rubber mallet and smack it FORWARD. (don't baby it)

At the Front sling-swivel the stock is pushed back onto two wings that keep it from coming straight off (down) so you need to knock it forward to get it off those wings, then you can pivot it away from the barrel and off.

~SN13

PS. If you need to know anything else, please PM me, i've done 5 including shotguns. Check my sig line.

SN 13,
I do have the 7.62x39 version not the shot gun. Also, my swing-swivel screw does exactly what you mentioned, it only holds the swivel and that's all. However, My Saiga, absolutely does not have a screw or even a screw hole just past the fore end. Very strange...all the other Saigas I've seen and all the illustrations on the net show the removal of that screw.

I did finally get my fore end off, I had to whack it with a rubber mallet and a wooden block.

I plan on replacing the fore end with a Tapco Intrafuse Handguard. I'm wondering now that I don't have the retaining screw that everyone else has, will it be possible to use the new handguard?

If yours is the same as the majority of Saigas I've seen, it will be lacking a handguard retaining ring which lives between the gas block and receiver. It's the lever deal that was previously mentioned in the thread.

When I converted mine, I swapped out the gas block with a Bulgarian gas block and while it was off I installed a handguard retaining ring.