• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking in a brand new M1A

L Rocha

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
The Burning Plains
Ok boys and girls I finaly got my my first M1A and it hasn't been shot yet. Matter of factly I just got it yesterday. Now I have a question about the ammunition that I am going to use. It is surplus ammo. Yes its pretty old but I got it for free so I'm not going to complain.
I was wondering if this is good enough to break in my rifle? If not please explain why.

Re: Breaking in a brand new M1A

Shoot, Shoot, Shoot... Don't waste time and ammo on that "wives tale" called "Break-in"! Have fun!

Lube it up and bump fire a couple mags through it......
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Oh I'm going to have fun alright
laugh.gif
And I think nobody will mind if that ol POS car thats been sitting in my yard for the last ten yrs goes missing for some reason
laugh.gif

im jealous mine is in the process of being built...

side note - i have quite a few friends who call it Y Town as well

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No break in required clead,lube and shoot. </div></div>

+1

After the first 100 rounds, remove your and bolt (just pop the oprod, don't dismount from the stock) and degrease EVERYTHING, including/especially the op rod locking/unlocking surfaces.

Take a Q-Tip and degrease the camming surfaces on your hammer.

Go shoot 10 rounds and see whether it still works.

If it does, fine. Lightly lube and fire as needed.

If not, lightly lube and then repeat the dry shooting every 100 rounds until you can fire 10 from the mag and get full cycling, including bolt lockback.

THEN you'll know if the rifle is broken in.

Oh, talking about BARREL break-in? Other than cleaning the bore thoroughly after the first 10-20 rounds, and then at least once more during the next 100 rounds, I just don't believe in it.

In the M1A, I think you'd do more harm running that cleaning rod up the muzzle then any itsy bitsy improvement you "may" get from that shoot one/clean one routine.

Alright got it. Should 200-300rds do? I would like to keep the rest for my lovely car.
And thanks for the help. I think I will be able to take it out sat or sunday.