• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking in an 18in SS Noveske Barrel

swangz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2008
CA
I just got a SS Noveske barrel that I am currently breaking in. After every 10 shots I am cleaning out the barrel as was recommended. I do this at the range and for me my boresnake is the easiest thing to carry around with me.

Is the boresnake adequate for cleaning during the break in process? Once I get home from the range I usually break out the Otis and start doing a thorough cleaning, but wanted to know if the boresnake was adequate for breaking in a barrel?

Re: Breaking in an 18in SS Noveske Barrel

I don't really do a barrel break in but I would say the boresnake is inadequate for the task and I would also get better cleaning equipment than the Otis products for cleaning at home. My experience with the Boresnake has been that it is good for removing loose particles out of the barrel but it is not really up to removing much more than that. The Otis products are excellent for field cleaning or when away from the bench but it is no substitute for a quality bore guide, cleaning rod, and jag, especially with a quality barrel like the Noveske. For my AR-15 I use a Dewey AR15 boreguide and a Dewey one piece cleaning rod w/ a jag.

And EVERYTIME you put that B/S back in your BBL. You are also putting ALL the crap you pulled out on your last pass back in the BBL. too.......
Respectfully,
LG

Hmm how about trashing the boresnake and going with the otis for the break in and a dewey rod for home cleaning? I'm dying to shoot today and no one carries a dewey around my area. I'll need to order it online. I guess my main question is how thorough does the cleaning need to be for the break in process?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zaku65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm how about trashing the boresnake and going with the otis for the break in and a dewey rod for home cleaning? I'm dying to shoot today and no one carries a dewey around my area. I'll need to order it online. I guess my main question is how thorough does the cleaning need to be for the break in process? </div></div>

My 21" Noveske barrel came with a letter explaining their theory on break-in as well as a list of recommended cleaning supplies, did yours?

That being said, I ignored it completely.

No I got mine from a third party so no instructions. But I was told that it must be cleaned every 20 rounds for the first 200 rounds.

Oh and I plan to use this rig for precision shooting so I would prefer doing some kind of break in. I don't really want to take any chances considering the price I paid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zaku65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and I plan to use this rig for precision shooting so I would prefer doing some kind of break in. I don't really want to take any chances considering the price I paid. </div></div>

I'll go look for the letter and post the info if you'd like.

Looks like I was mistaken, it was ArmaLite that suggested a barrel break in procedure (its been a while since I replaced my AR10's barrel) and Noveske that did not. So I guess I did take Noveske's advice to heart. Here are some pics, I can't scan it at home:

z09on.jpg

bwj0z.jpg

30n7j92.jpg

295twur.jpg

The only thing I would use a bore snake on is a shotgun. Nothing with a good tube on it should ever be disgraced by the snakey

Use the cleaning procedure that the barrel manufacturer recommends. Call and check if they have one. There is a ton of info out there on barrel break-in. You just have to search
smile.gif

It's nice to see a company come right out and say that they've found no benefit to prolonged "break-in" processes (man I can't wait till that whole deal is finally laid to rest one day).

However, it's confusing (and a bit disappointing) that they're so dead-set against pulling the cleaning brush back through the barrel (for fear that it'll hurt the crown).

I don't enjoy cleaning guns at all as it is. If I had to unscrew the brush from the rod after each forward pass (and then screw it on again before the next one) I'd never clean a rifle again.

And don't overlook the real bonus of that technique - it'll double the amount of cleaning cycles required as each lost backward stroke will have to be replaced with an additional forward one.

That's an interesting point....does anybody have a picture of a damaged crown from a cleaning brush?

More specifically a bronze cleaning brush?
grin.gif

Most brushes have the bristles twisted in a steel wire crimped into a steel threaded piece.
After the brush pops out (nylon or bronze) the rod goes slack and that steel wire/thread thingamajig drags or gets pulled against the edge of the crown, hence the "do not pull brush back through bore" advice of nearly every barrel maker.

I have a Noveske 18" SPR upper. Breaking it in meant loading up some mags with factory BH 75s and shooting. It wasn't impressive. Pulled out some handload 69 SMKs that shoot great in my RRA with a Wylde only to find that Noveske's chamber is cut even tighter. Reset my dies to his chamber with an RCBS gauge and rolled some 77 SMKs with 24.2 of RE15 and mag length. That was almost two years ago. Last time I had it out was at 825 yards - shot a 5 round 0.83 MOA group. Break in is highly over rated.

Get a good load and shoot it.

Good luck

ETA - I shoot it suppressed and clean every 200 - 300 rounds. It cleans up quickly and pushes white patches at the end. Ain't so bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most brushes have the bristles twisted in a steel wire crimped into a steel threaded piece.
After the brush pops out (nylon or bronze) the rod goes slack and that steel wire/thread thingamajig drags or gets pulled against the edge of the crown, hence the "do not pull brush back through bore" advice of nearly every barrel maker. </div></div>
That's a good point (and one that never dawned on me). I just made a quick check on Midway's website to see who offered "safe" cleaning brushes, and - fortunately - most of the ones they carry feature no steel (bronze or polymer bristles twisted in a brass wire with a brass base and coupler). Here is a short list of "safe" manufactureres/brushes:
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Dewey "No Harm" Bench Rest Style [*]Montana Extreme[*]Iosso [*]Otis[*]Tipton "Best" (but not standard)[*]Kleebore Bench Rest (but not standard)[/list]I've got a ton of "non-safe" brushes at home, the same kind I've been using for years. Looks like I'll be replacing them during the week with some no-steel units.