• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breaking In Kriger AR15 Barrel

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    FNG here. This is my first post here and its about a new upper I just purchased. I bought a 18'' SPR upper from Denny at Global Tactical. It has a Kriger 1.7:7 twist, with M4 feedramps, BCM BCG. Its mated to a RRA lower with a Giessle trigger and a 3.5-15 NF. I was wondering if any one on here lives in or around North Carolina that can help me break in the barrel. This is my first endevor with precision rifles. I appreciate the help guys and proud to be a member now.

Re: Breaking In Kriger AR15 Barrel

Your going to get two different perspectives in response to your query... One will be a group that says breaking in a barrel is unnecessary, just go shoot. Then one group that will have all these methodical procedures about how to break in your new barrel...

If you want to break it in, I suggest Googling "Kriger barrel break in procedure", I'm sure it will produce you something useful.

Welcome!

I have started break in procedures but never had the patience to complete it. I always end up just shooting the damn thing. YMMV.

go to Kriger's website and they list instructions on how their barrel should be broken in

I've done two new Krieger SR barrels in the past 5 weeks as follows:

1) clean barrel before firing - brush, solvent, patch dry.
    2) lightly lube barrel (a few drops on patch) with Amsoil Synthetic ATF (I never shoot a clean dry barrel, NEVER).
    3) fire one round.
    4) Brush 10 strokes with solvent, 2 patches, brush 10 strokes again, 2 patches, follow with Amsoiled patch. Repeat steps 3 and 4 3 times.
    5) Go from 1 shot to 2 shots, same regiment as step 4.
    6) fire 1 3 shot string. Repeat step 4, only keep after it until patches show no carbon.
    7) Fire a 5 shot string. Clean well and amsoil again.
    8) repeat step 7 again.

It should be ready to shoot. My zeros moved around a bit up to the 100 shot mark, mainly elevation of about an MOA.

You should be able to do this with standard cleaning apparatus - bore guide, solvent, rod, brush, patches, oil. No need for someone local to be there to help you since you need this stuff to maintain the barrel anyway.

I've broken in a bunch of Krieger AR barrels: they are pretty easy if you have the stainless version. It should not take more than 10 shots to break it in. Here is what I do:

The main fouling you are trying to remove during break-in is copper. So, you need a cleaner that is good at removing copper. I prefer non-toxic, easy-on-the-barrel copper cleaners, but that is a personal decision.

Fire one shot, then take some time to clean out the copper until your patches are not green/blue. Best way is to give the solvent time to work rather than trying to scrub it off. Repeat this for 10 shots and you're done. As you get close to the tenth shot, you will notice the barrel comes clean much faster....its now broken in.

As a side note, I recommend you get an AR-15 guide rod from Sinclair Intl. This guide rod helps to protect the delicate throat area of the barrel and makes it easier to use solvent without getting it all over yourself and other places besides where it belongs: solvent port is cool.

Since when a rifle is fired it lays down copper and carbon in layers, you are trying to clean out both the copper and the carbon. You can't really clean out copper without getting carbon out at the same time. Only the first round fired has the ability to lay down copper only, and copper-only is in the bore for micro seconds before the bullet passes over the plasma and carbon immediately follows on top of it.

You might try

compass lake in Florida.

Frank White is the smith and give detailed directions on Breaking in the Krieger AR-15 barrel. I have one of his upper from a CMP buy and this method was tedious but worked out well for me

There is no such thing as a break in when you using a hand lapped barrel. It is good to clean after the first few shoots because if there is a problem with it you will find out them. Other then that it makes no difference. Some barrels take a few hundred shots to get it to the sweet spot some start shooting well for the first shot. Its just hard to tell.