• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"breaking in"

herbie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
I am purchasing my first precision rifle and the seller demands that the purchaser break in the rifle with so many rounds in order to maintain the warranty.
Im under the impression that it means fire one round, clean the barrel thoroughly, over and over.
1. What does breaking in a rifle actually do?
2. Is it necessary for other rifles that are not precision like ARs and M1a socoms?

Re: "breaking in"

Opinions are like assholes and like everyone else, I have one.

My opinions are;

1. It smoothes out any rough tooling marks in the throat area and any tooling marks that may have been left from the rifling process of the barrel which ARE present to a varying degree in any and all rifle barrels regardless of how expensive they are. However it is my belief that this can be accomplished by going to the range and pretending that there is no such thing as a "break in" procedure and just firing the rifle as you would normally. I would suggest however that if a "break in" procedure were to be performed, that it would have more of an effect on a factory barrel with noticably more tooling marks than that of a custom barrel which would tend to have a smoother finish. Hand lapping of a bore can also smoothen out the tooling marks, but I can't say that I'm all that educated on lapping rifle barrels. I'll refrain from commenting on what exactly that procedure is and/or how effective it may be.

2. As I stated in my opinion of question #1, no. Not at all.

End-State: Go ahead and do it if it will maintain a "warranty". It won't hurt anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seller demands that the purchaser break in the rifle with so many rounds in order to maintain the warranty.
</div></div>

So are they going to stand there and watch? It's a myth...just go shoot the damn thing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am purchasing my first precision rifle and the seller demands that the purchaser break in the rifle with so many rounds in order to maintain the warranty.
Im under the impression that it means fire one round, clean the barrel thoroughly, over and over.
2. Is it necessary for other rifles that are not precision like ARs and M1a socoms? </div></div>

What does your inner-lazy-bastard tell you to do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seller demands that the purchaser break in the rifle with so many rounds in order to maintain the warranty.
</div></div>

So are they going to stand there and watch? It's a myth...just go shoot the damn thing... </div></div>
AHH.grasshopper you know the secret just shoot and shoot and shoot when the accuracy falls off the clean it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am purchasing my first precision rifle and the seller demands that the purchaser break in the rifle with so many rounds in order to maintain the warranty.
2. Is it necessary for other rifles that are not precision like ARs and M1a socoms? </div></div>

What does your inner-lazy-bastard tell you to do? </div></div>

Thats F-ing funny