• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Breathing

Barn Side

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2012
What is better for precision rifle shooting breathing through the nose or mouth?

Re: Breathing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkealty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is better for precision rifle shooting breathing through the nose or mouth? </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nose </div></div>Why does it matter?

You have to breathe.

Don't matter as long as its natural.

Just dont buy into the ideal of unnatural breathing for shooting.

We all heard that stuff about "take a breat, let half out and hold".

That went out when we found the earth wasn't flat.

Sure you can't breath when your shooting, cause your sights will be moving up and down. Find a spot in your natural breathing where the sights rest on the target (normally at the bottom, or when you let the air out). You'll naturally have a dead or still spot, shoot then.

I do know if you're concentrating on breathing you're not concentrating on sight alignement, trigger control and follow through.

Natural is the name of the breathing game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't matter as long as its natural.

Just dont buy into the ideal of unnatural breathing for shooting. </div></div>Agreed.

Try breathing through your nose, or holding your breath, when your heart-rate is above 140.

I swear that some of the new people on this Site simply make-up advice, with no explanation, to see their own post appear.

Yep, breathe however is easiest, probably through your mouth. Don't hold your breath - breathe or you will die.

Hey Graham, I thought there was a thing about attacking new members, apparently now matter how many posts you have, the rules still mean nothing to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Graham, I thought there was a thing about attacking new members, apparently now matter how many posts you have, the rules still mean nothing to you. </div></div>It wasn't an attack; it was an observation about some of the new members.

I appreciate you taking ownership of my comment and attempting to hide behind the 'attack' rule, though, because there is not yet a 'no whining' rule.
wink.gif

Not hiding behind anything here, Pokey. The original question was breathing through your nose or mouth, I answered 'nose' because I think that is the correct way to shoot. You are the one who made a comment about 'a new member' and 'making things up', if you have nothing better to do than worry about how others answer questions, have at it.

I will be at the rifle range instead of playing on the computer insulting people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not hiding behind anything here, Pokey. The original question was breathing through your nose or mouth, I answered 'nose' because I think that is the correct way to shoot. You are the one who made a comment about 'a new member' and 'making things up', if you have nothing better to do than worry about how others answer questions, have at it.

I will be at the rifle range instead of playing on the computer insulting people.</div></div>

This is the first time I've ever noted this question. But, since it has been asked, when I come to the firing line I take a couple of very deep breaths, breathing through my mouth, as I perceive I'm getting a bigger gulp of air. This exercise is to relieve my nerves. When actually firing a slow fire string or a rapid fire string I am not conscious or concerned about breathing. And, although I know I shoot during my natural respiratory pause, I don't think about it. After all if it's natural I don't need to think about it. Instead, I concentrate on sight alignment and trigger control.

Too many years ago, don't remember when or where (I believe it was at the Wilson Matches) I cleaned the first string of 200 yard rapid fire.

I've always shot setting rapid pretty fast, 45-50 seconds.

While the targets were being scored in the pits my scorer asked me about my breathing. I couldn't tell him. I assued I was breathing or I doubt I would have cleaned the target.

So the next string I thought I would see just how I breathed while shooting.

Don't remember what I found out about breathing but I do remember I shot one of the worst strings I've ever shot.

In short. I don't worry about it, I don't think about it. If I quit breathing just throw me over the berm and keep shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not hiding behind anything here, Pokey.</div></div>Unlike what I posted, name-calling is expressly forbidden by the Board rules.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I answered 'nose' because I think that is the correct way to shoot.</div></div>That would fit my comment as an example of making something up, without explanation.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you have nothing better to do than worry about how others answer questions, have at it.</div></div>I don't worry about it, but I do try to flag the bogus answers: It's one of the reasons why this Site exists.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be at the rifle range instead of playing on the computer insulting people. </div></div>I wish you better success at that endeavor.
smile.gif

Agreed, natural is it.

If you’re rested breathe through your nose. If you have just sprinted to your firing position and assumed an unnatural firing position behind an obstacle or barricade while under time pressure or worse... your nose isn’t going to work out so well and will be like Graham said “holding your breath".

The key is don’t think about it, natural... fire at your respiratory pause whether its 3 second long or .5 seconds long... mouth, nose or both at once, breathe.

I don't think it matters too much but if I can I tend to shoot with my mouth closed and breathing thru my nose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toe cutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Graham, I thought there was a thing about attacking new members, apparently now matter how many posts you have, the rules still mean nothing to you. </div></div>

No one was attacking you.

I do think perhaps you should of stated why you think you should breath thru your nose.

same from me, doesn't matter which you use as long as you are doing it natural. Natural respiratory pause was what i was taught, and i stand by it :)

The only reason I can think of for breathing nose only (like was mentioned with the teams)would be so that you may don't affect your cheek weld. Sometimes mouth breathing is kinda hard when you use a stiff cheek weld thats low. May push into lips and make weird faces. I dont have that issue with most of my rifles, but ones with really high scopes (ar types) make my weld down closer to jawline. if I'm holding open my mouth it may have small impact on that. But its entirely conjecture. Just what i feel, may not apply to others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too many years ago, don't remember when or where (I believe it was at the Wilson Matches) I cleaned the first string of 200 yard rapid fire.

While the targets were being scored in the pits my scorer asked me about my breathing. I couldn't tell him. I assued I was breathing or I doubt I would have cleaned the target.

Don't remember what I found out about breathing but I do remember I shot one of the worst strings I've ever shot.

In short. I don't worry about it, I don't think about it. If I quit breathing just throw me over the berm and keep shooting. </div></div>

X2

To many folks get a tensed up on focusing about what they are doing right or wrong while in the shot versus just shooting it

oneshot

I'm convinced that the thing that matters is that you do it the exact same way everytime you break a shot. How you achieve that is up to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot with a slack jaw (like a $#$%*) and open mouth, so I breathe through my mouth. </div></div>

I found I do that too. Don't know what made me notice it. But as Kraig said, just don't worry about it. It never affected my rifle score negatively.

Lay prone, rifle set bipod loaded, 3-4 breathes threw nose fill chest let out slowly. On last breath out slowly only let out 3/4 then pause. Your heart will pause 1-2 seconds fire. I do this prone or off bench!

Good information here, thanks even though I wasn't the OP.

I try to breathe through the nose out the mouth, as I am told to in Jiu Jitsu. TO me it calms me better and it provides better o2 to the brain. It was hard for me to adapt to it. When in jiu jitsu, someone is on top, breathing is much harder. So i trained my self through the nose and it does seem to give me clearer thought. When I shoot prone, being 270 lbs, it also helps me there. Not saying that it is best for everyone, just an opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkealty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been watching some Olympic rifle shooting videos and they all seem to breathe through their noses with their mouths closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyq9FG6Wuj8</div></div>Yet another reason why we don't do that.

sorry i read on the web to much but i read on the 50bmg you should keep your mouth closed because percussion could damage your hearing through the little tubes that connect your ears to your throat is this B S?

I do find it to be easier for me to breathe through my mouth. I feel I have a better control in respect to breathing out of my nose. I do live in a dry climate and seem to always have an issue breathing through my nose anyway. I would have to say to shoot how ever it comes natural as well though. I have spent countless shots trying to hold at the bottom of a breath only to second guess the shot and foul up because I held my breath too long. So the suggestions previously stated to just simply breathe may take you/us somewhere!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It wasn't an attack; it was an observation about some of the new members.

I appreciate you taking ownership of my comment and attempting to hide behind the 'attack' rule, though, because there is not yet a 'no whining' rule.
wink.gif
</div></div>

Thanks Graham. Nothing like having Coke shoot out of your nose at 2:30 in the morning. I guess it's better than hot coffee.

hahahhaah

if your shooting a 50 cal you better keep your fucking mouth closed unless you want your teeth rattled. Ha , if your even near a 50 for that matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: david3420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry i read on the web to much but i read on the 50bmg you should keep your mouth closed because percussion could damage your hearing through the little tubes that connect your ears to your throat is this B S? </div></div>

If your mouth is closed your going to feel the percussion, keep your mouth open to feel less percussion although you may get a mouthful of grass and dirt after firing. This is really not needed for the 50, it's more to keep alert if a flash bang is about to blow near you. It's not about the hearing, it's about not getting dazed by the percussion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dkealty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is better for precision rifle shooting breathing through the nose or mouth?
</div></div>

I think whichever comes natural to you will probably work out best. I've found myself doing either, depending on how congested I am at any given time, and environmental conditions can have something to do with that. As long as you keep a consistent shooting position on the rifle, I don't imagine there would be much difference either way.

A lot more discussion seems to have gone into the idea of when to break the shot in the breathing cycle. For me, I typically break my shots just after I exhale, before I inhale again (the "respiratory pause" as I've heard it called). I've heard other ideas argued on that subject, but I do what seems to work best for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: david3420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry i read on the web to much but i read on the 50bmg you should keep your mouth closed because percussion could damage your hearing through the little tubes that connect your ears to your throat is this B S? </div></div>

I call BS on that. The .50 BMG is undoubtedly a powerful cartridge, but is surrounded in as much mystique and fairy tales as any gun I've ever heard of. The .50 BMG never seemed all that loud to me, nor did the recoil from these rifles ever seem oppressive. I've seen children and small women shoot them (my honey is only 105lbs, and she's shot them). I will say that it isn't pleasant standing next to someone shooting a .50 BMG, thanks to the 'exhaust' from the giant muzzle brake. But, I can't picture damaging the sinus canal by having your mouth open.

Don't get me wrong, there is some percussion off of the .50 BMG, but I don't find it to be a painful or oppressive percussion, save for standing too close to the muzzle brake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your mouth is closed your going to feel the percussion, keep your mouth open to feel less percussion although you may get a mouthful of grass and dirt after firing. This is really not needed for the 50, it's more to keep alert if a flash bang is about to blow near you. It's not about the hearing, it's about not getting dazed by the percussion. </div></div>

Flash bangs are definitely more oppressive than a .50 BMG, though like you said, I still don't think they'd damage your sinuses if you had your mouth open when one went off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too many years ago, don't remember when or where (I believe it was at the Wilson Matches) I cleaned the first string of 200 yard rapid fire.

Don't remember what I found out about breathing but I do remember I shot one of the worst strings I've ever shot. </div></div>

Hey KraigWY, I had to chuckle when I read this as it reminds me of a couple of guys I shoot with. They'll do anything to mess with your head during a match, just for fun....