• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brief Range Report: Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 CM

MedServ60Driver

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
This past week the Tikka T3x CTR that I ordered came in, so naturally I shirked whatever else I was supposed to be doing and got it set up:

7181cba7b0ecd27fd810872f83ff246a.jpg

As it sits now:

T3x CTR, stainless steel
20" 6.5 Creedmoor, 1:8" twist
SWFA SS 10x42
.96" height Vortex Precision Matched rings
Factory 0 MOA base

(I have a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 for this rifle, but that optic is currently in storage where I can't get to it, so the rifle wears the SWFA for now)

Initial inspection has been highly favorable. I have found no discernible machining imperfections, and the fitting to the stock is very well executed. There are no plastic parts on this gun except the stock, magazine basepad, magazine follower, and bolt knob (not the handle itself). The stock has been filled with some sort of foam so that it doesn't make that nasty hollow sound so many of them do. It is noticeably stiffer than a comparable Remington stock, but I believe it would still flex with a bipod (probably not enough to make contact with the barrel however).

The action is the slickest I've felt on a production rifle. As a matter of fact, it's smoother than my Remington 700 BDL that is older than I am. The trigger is probably 4#, but breaks cleanly with no discernible over-travel. The magazine (the same one the Sako TRG-22 uses) drops freely and inserts cleanly.

My big cons on this gun are that it doesn't include a 20 MOA scope base, it uses the semi-proprietary (and expen$ive) Sako mags, and the stock doesn't have any sort of bedding such as pillars or an aluminum block. The first two are largely circumstantial based on personal preference, but I really feel that some form of bedding would shift this rifle from the "pretty great" to "dayumn" category.

I haven't been able to thoroughly ring out this gun, but I have zeroed it with Hornady American Whitetail 129gr SSTs with very favorable results:

5f0e0b0732023ba485a7b78c0de3ac9e.jpg

For reference, the red circle is 2". That's a 3 shot group from the bench, fired with less than 30 seconds between each shot. I'm very excited to see what the rifle can do with other ammo and at longer distances. I plan to try Hornady 140gr ELDs, and a 130gr loading offered by Prime Ammunition. If I can find any I'll also wring out American Eagle's 140gr offering.

As a side note, I'm quite fond of the SWFA SS series. This optic has proven excellent for the money (made in Japan, $300 MSRP new) and serves as my "floater" scope for load development and new guns.

For a short time I had a Savage 10 Ashbury Precision in 6.5 CM. While that rifle proved to shoot well, I despised the ergonomics of the chassis and the Accu-Trigger left much to be desired. I'm pleased to report that this rifle thus far has been extremely favorable, and the ergonomics of the stock are excellent. For the same cost as that particular Savage I consider this a significant upgrade.

My future plans for this rifle are as follows:

Short term: Install the aforementioned Vortex Razor HD, install a SilencerCo muzzle brake (on the off chance that the BATFEIEIO ever approves my stamp), and affix a 6-9" Harris bipod.

Medium/long term: I will probably end up putting this gun in a KRG Bravo or similar stock/chassis and adjust the trigger a tad.

Now! How does the 129gr Hornady Interlocks (not SSTs as the photo reads) perform on game? I'll have to report on that at a later date. Thus far nothing is moving, but I still have 1.5 days to test my luck.

91f53e37cac8431e7c078536aaea3139.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A couple of small points: The new Tikka CTR mag (with plastic baseplate) will not fit a Sako TRG 22. However, SAKO TRG 22 mags will fit in the Tikka CTR. The plastic baseplate prevents the Tikka CTR mag from fitting a TRG 22.

Eurooptics sells TRG 22 10 round Mags for $193.10, but the similar Tikka CTR 10 round mags for $72.43 which is cheaper than the AI AICS 10 round mag. Oddly enough Eurooptics sells 5 round Tikka CTR mags for $93.21.

https://www.eurooptic.com/S54065122-Tikka-T3-Compact-Tactical-Rifle-CTR-Magazine-260.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/S57465173-T3-Compact-Tactical-Rifle-Magazine--NOT-TRG-COMPAT.aspx
https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-22-10-round-magazine-308-win-s5740384.aspx

Everybody bitches about how the Tikka T3 stocks are not bedded properly with aluminium pillars, but that doesn't seem to stop them from shooting very well. However, if you want aluminum pillars Lumley Arms will happily sell you a compete bedding set.

http://lumleyarms.us/index.php?route...&product_id=59

One way around the 0 MOA base that Tikka supplies with every CTR, is through the use of Burris XTR Signature Rings. I have a set on my 260 CTR and using the supplied inserts I have 30 MOA of cant for my Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...ignature-rings

Last edited:
You can also turn the trigger adjustment to get a lighter pull, or swap the spring all together to get a great pull.