• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brisket Recipe/Process

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Well after posting pics in the BBQ threads and answering tons of questions about my process and recipes I told everyone that I would make a thread for everybody when I did my next smoke session which was over last weeks SuperBowl so here it is:

First off I have had many smokers but this one's been the best so far. I use a cabinet type propane type smoker. It seems to maintain a column of smoke better than the other ones and gives me a lot of vertical space with good variance in temps along the column. This is nice because you can smoke different things at different temps depending on where you put it in the cabinet.

So to start you have to locate a brisket. I like butcher cold packs that are large and have a nice layer of Hard fat on top. One word of caution is to look at the meat very closely in the sealed bag. There shouldn't be any air bubbles but there always are at least a few. These air bubbles will cause the meat that they're in contact with to oxidize and spoil. You'll see this in the meat through the bag and it'll look like the meat is grey/dull-brown in the area where the bubbles are or where for a long time. It's pretty hard to find a slab of meat that doesn't have at least a little of this spoilage. Try to minimize this but either way make sure you cut this spoiled part off before you do anything else.

Butcher cold pack:~$35
xpxqs.jpg

Then trim the thick layer of fat on top down to about 3/4"-1" and go ahead and trim up any fat on the bottom. You really want to make slices across the layer of fat checker (1" squares) the top layer of fat so that you have a good resting place for your rub and it creates channels down to the meat for the rendered fat, but don't cut so deep that you cut into the meat. Briskets, that I haven't checkered aren't nearly as moist, so it does make a difference.

Checkered fat:
2jb1grd.jpg

I like what is known as a 4x4 rub in the BBQ world. It's equal parts, brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt. But I personally think that's far too salty so I cut the salt in half.

Dry rub:
2agkimq.jpg

Re: Brisket Recipe/Process

Rub that meat really good and get the rub down into the fat that's been checkered. Don't be stingy.

Rubbed (I have to cut my briskets in half to fit in the smoker):
iyiopl.jpg

e04ztv.jpg

Let the brisket rest in a pan covered with foil in the refrigerator for at least two days, I personally like to go 4 days as the longer you wait the more tender and flavor infused the meat is when it's done.

I usually smoke brisket with Hickory because a lot of non-Texans (I'm in CO) don't like the more harsh Mesquite flavor but the type of wood you use will come after experimenting with the varieties available (Cherry is the only one I absolutely hate).

I like to start off at a lower temp (190-200) for the first 4 or so hours. After the initial colder smoke, I ramp it up to 225 and keep it there for the duration. Now depending on the size of the brisket you really need to plan on smoking for 12-16 hours. This one in the pics was done for 15 hours and there's a pork shoulder in there too but that's a whole different process. Make sure to keep the smoker filled with water and I use a mop of Cattleman's BBQ sauce (love the flavor): http://www.frenchsfoodservice.com/our-brands/cattlemens <- experiment with sauces or make your own according to your tastes.

Smoker:
2d7dbiw.jpg

Pull the meat and quickly wrap it tightly in thick industrial foil. I do this and then toss all the meat into the oven which is off (no additional heat just a safe insulated place to put it where there's no air currents). Let the meat sit in the foil for an hour. This lets the meat rest and redistribute the fluids. Skipping this step will leave your meat dry.

Fresh out of the smoker into the foil/oven:
rkzu6o.jpg

Pull your meat and slice against the grain in ~ pencil thick slices. This brisket was so tender that a lot of it just fell right apart (left side of pic) which is perfect for sandwiches or breakfasts. Your next step is to enjoy. Just provide sauce to your guests and let them sauce according to their tastes.

Finished product:
11mfbdt.jpg

On a side note, here's what the pork butt looked like after it was pulled:
ntc2u.jpg

Do you deliver?

For all the different opinions, perspectives, and views that we all have on the 'Hide, I'm pretty sure that Brisket is a Universally Approved topic.

Good job.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh78T--ZUxY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vh78T--ZUxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Wow, I'm truly impressed. What kind of smoker do you have?

Looks Awesome, making me hungry! I wish I were slow grilling a pork shoulder today, 35 and been raining since I woke up, not a day for grilling.

Looks good man. I usually totally remove the fat cap just because I like more bark and find my brisket is just as juicy. Thats the great thing about smoking. Theres no wrong way to do it as long as it taste good. Next time you fire up the smoker throw a roll of your favorite breakfast sausage in there. You can thank me later if you have not tried it.

i do about the same thing with a few small differences. JSF is right...there's is no wrong way unless you REALLY screw up. i dont cut the fat side like you do...will definately try that. i smoke with the fat side down and cover the top with bacon strips until the last few hours. then i take the bacon off so the smoke can get to the top better. also about once an hour i crack the lid and spray the meat down with REAL applejuice. mine always seems to fall apart when trying to slice it. thanks for this post.

if its not too much trouble, could you explain how you do the pork in the pictures? i've done a few pork butts and they taste great but are too tender. i may need to just cook them for a shorter amount of time. i like to know how everyone does this smoking business. always "adjusting" my process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you deliver? </div></div>

I'd send you some if we thought customs would get it to you inside of a month. 'but you're welcome at my house anytime!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Wow, I'm truly impressed. What kind of smoker do you have? </div></div>

ZL, I've tried many smokers and so far this one has been the best, it's a Master Forge propane cabinet style smoker. It's just like any other smoker it has it's strong points and it's weak points. People freak out on smokers that leak a little smoke out of the doors but they all do it and it's a stupid amateur thing to freak out about. I also like having a tall column of smoke because it gives me a lot of vertical space with different temps to smoke different things (cheese, fish, veggie, potatoes, chicken, beef). The best part is how perfectly this smoker can hit and hover at a temp. And it was quite a bit cheaper then the other one's I've had in the past that weren't as good as this one so win-win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good man. I usually totally remove the fat cap just because I like more bark and find my brisket is just as juicy. Thats the great thing about smoking. Theres no wrong way to do it as long as it taste good. Next time you fire up the smoker throw a roll of your favorite breakfast sausage in there. You can thank me later if you have not tried it. </div></div>

I've done my own sausage and summer sausage but never breakfast sausage. I'll do that, thanks for the idea!

man as I sit here and eat my cereal my mouth waters, I'm gonna have to get into this smoking stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: budiceale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if its not too much trouble, could you explain how you do the pork in the pictures? i've done a few pork butts and they taste great but are too tender. i may need to just cook them for a shorter amount of time. i like to know how everyone does this smoking business. always "adjusting" my process. </div></div>

Well too tender is most likely going to be from being aged too long or smoked too long. For pork butts (shoulders) I'll pull the meat out of the package and let it dry age in the fridge for a ~day. Butts are different because you should really use a brine. I use my turkey fryer's pot to brine in because I usually do huge chunks of meat. My brine is pretty basic just a ~1/2 cup brown sugar, ~1/3 cup salt and a few healthy pinches of some cayenne pepper. Mix with enough water to cover the meat and let the meat brine in the fridge for ~12-24 hours but don't go over that. Then I pull it from the brine, dry it off and hit it with a dry rub. Now, I've taken a lot of food science classes (it's one of my minors) and I've seen the nastiness that exists in pork so I'm pretty careful with pork and always use an internal thermometer. Try smoking your pork at a slightly lower temp (200ish) until the internal temp (not on the bone) hits ~140, the time is going to vary depending on how big the butt is so the temp method is more telling and I hit it with a mop of sauce every time I open the smoker. Once it hits 140 pull it and wrap it in heavy foil and toss it in a turned off oven to rest. The carry-over will take the internal temp to 145-150 and finish the cooking for you. You'll get a better end result if you pull it out of the oven once the internal temp is 145-150. Try cutting big slabs off right away to shock it and stop the cooking. Than start doing your pulling and you should end up with a great end product. But really, I think the key is to gauge your progress on pork to concentrate on internal temp not time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for that! Do you soak the hickory wood before using it in the smoker? for how long? </div></div>

Yep, soaking really helps. I'll only soak the wood chips for ~20 mins before they hit the smoker so not very long. Basically, when I smoke I'm pretty much stuck at home and when it's almost time to go add chips, I'll toss the chips into a pot of water, let them soak for ~20 mins and then go out and toss them in. Over the course of a 16 or so hour smoke, I'll add more chips around 4 times over the course of the first 10 hours, after that, I don't add more chips (just water) and let it cook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338Sendero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many pounds of chips do you typically go through during a smoke? </div></div>

I would say 3-4 dry lbs for a giant brisket. Less than a one lb for a block of cheese/fish and around 2 lbs for a full smoker of chicken. I think you can way overdose the meat with smoke so just after the mid point I stop adding wood and just let the water/heat do the rest of the cooking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ZL, I've tried many smokers and so far this one has been the best, it's a Master Forge propane cabinet style smoker. It's just like any other smoker it has it's strong points and it's weak points. People freak out on smokers that leak a little smoke out of the doors but they all do it and it's a stupid amateur thing to freak out about. I also like having a tall column of smoke because it gives me a lot of vertical space with different temps to smoke different things (cheese, fish, veggie, potatoes, chicken, beef). The best part is how perfectly this smoker can hit and hover at a temp. And it was quite a bit cheaper then the other one's I've had in the past that weren't as good as this one so win-win. </div></div>

Thanks for the recommendation, HB. I've been wanting to get into smoking meats now that I've got the jerky thing down. I'll start looking online for that setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

ZL, I've tried many smokers and so far this one has been the best, it's a Master Forge propane cabinet style smoker. It's just like any other smoker it has it's strong points and it's weak points. People freak out on smokers that leak a little smoke out of the doors but they all do it and it's a stupid amateur thing to freak out about. I also like having a tall column of smoke because it gives me a lot of vertical space with different temps to smoke different things (cheese, fish, veggie, potatoes, chicken, beef). The best part is how perfectly this smoker can hit and hover at a temp. And it was quite a bit cheaper then the other one's I've had in the past that weren't as good as this one so win-win. </div></div>

Thanks for the recommendation, HB. I've been wanting to get into smoking meats now that I've got the jerky thing down. I'll start looking online for that setup.

</div></div>

No prob. Shoot me a PM anytime with any questions you have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut49b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks awesome. I'm glad to hear that propane can make a great smoker. It seems much easier than charcoal. Have you had good luck with electric? </div></div>

I absolutely hated my electric one. I had it when I lived in Austin and the local BBQ store touted it as being the best non-commercial unit out there but I spent a ton of time adjusting it every-time I smoked anything. I think the idea of electric smokers is good but the reality isn't that great. The propane has been <span style="text-decoration: underline">FAR</span> better.

Charcoal is awesome but temperature regulation is a total nightmare at least as compared to propane. In a perfect world I would rock charcoal for a smoker and a grill but propane takes the headache and babysitting out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timesublime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HB,

Which model do you have? I found these two online at Lowe's.

Same? Without wheels but $50 cheaper. </div></div>

Well, they must have made a newer model because that's the same idea of the one I have but it's not exactly the one I have. I'd imagine the guts are the same though. The shelf is going to come in very handy. I have a 7 burner grill next to my smoker and I use that as my shelf when I'm smoking so that'll be nice. When the smoker is empty it's light enough to move pretty easily, so I don't think I'd waste the money on the wheeled version. Make sure you get some kind of cover (not plastic) for it when you're not using it and it'll stay nice.

Looks downright tasty!

Your salt issue in a trad 4x4 can be taken care of by swapping out the basic fine grind stuff for coarse ground sea salt. It's funny, we don;t even use fine grind for anything, not even on the table. It's either a bowl of coarse by the stove, or a good grinder at the table.
If you decide to go the route of non iodized salt, just supplant it with a daily multi vitamin...which you should be taking anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut49b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks awesome. I'm glad to hear that propane can make a great smoker. It seems much easier than charcoal. Have you had good luck with electric? </div></div>

Charcoal is awesome but temperature regulation is a total nightmare at least as compared to propane. In a perfect world I would rock charcoal for a smoker and a grill but propane takes the headache and babysitting out of it. </div></div>

Temp Controller

Big Green Egg

Problem solved. I use the above temp controller on my big green egg and never have to fiddle with it. I you have to do is get your fire going, attach the fan to the big green egg, plug the fan into the controller. Set the temp you want you smoker to maintain and it does the rest. I have literally smoked for 20+ hours and never had to touch it.

the biggest problem I have here in utah is getting the right wood. I personally think hickory is by far the best smoking wood. however unless its fresh hickory the smoke isn't that great. when I lived in texas I had access to fresh hickory and man the smoke from that stuff was SOOOOO good smelling. the dryed out old hickory I mostly have access now to isn't much better than firewood.

that is some great looking brisket, I have cooked in several smokers an electric that uses chips and looks like a mini fridge, a smoker I made out of 2 giant flower pots, and I also have a trailer smoker than is made from a behind the house propane tank. all of them have advantages and disadvantages. the electric mini fridge type is nice because you can just turn it on and forget about it. but it doesn't put as strong of a smoke taste in the meat. the flower pot you have to be careful because it REALLY smokes the meat actually too much unless you wrap it with foil. and the trailer smoker holds a ton and burns up alot of wood.

Re: Ejector Sleeves, Ejector Blades, ejector pin and s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matiworld</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"MATI is truly a one-stop shopping source for the molding and mold making industries, offering ejector sleeves, Ejector blades, Ejector pins, Step ejector pins, Core pins & Punches in India." http://www.matiworld.in/ </div></div>

Fuck off dick!

high bender...thanks for the information. i will use it asap. i think the puuled pork and some lexington sauce will make some great sandwiches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 7 BBQ/smokers. The 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain is my favorite:

weber-smokey-mountain-22-5-inch.jpg
</div></div>

That use to be my favorite. It is still the best bang for the buck. Nothing holds a temp like the big green egg though. Only downside is expense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 7 BBQ/smokers. The 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain is my favorite:

weber-smokey-mountain-22-5-inch.jpg
</div></div>

That use to be my favorite. It is still the best bang for the buck. Nothing holds a temp like the big green egg though. Only downside is expense. </div></div>

Yeah, the BGE is great. The weight and fragility kills it for me. I can take my WSM on the road and I'm hard on my equipment. The BGE is not a travel unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Make sure to keep the smoker filled with water and I use a mop of Cattleman's BBQ sauce (love the flavor): http://www.frenchsfoodservice.com/our-brands/cattlemens <- experiment with sauces or make your own according to your tastes.

Smoker:
2d7dbiw.jpg
</div></div>

HB, At what point during the process do you start adding the BBQ sauce?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timesublime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
HB, At what point during the process do you start adding the BBQ sauce? </div></div>

I start moping with sauce during the first reloading of chips so about two hours into it and then I continue mopping until it's time to come out. Hope that helps!