• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft British basha shelter or similar

Romeo458

That Guy
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2019
NEIA
Maybe not quite field craft, maybe it is but what I'm looking for is a replacement for my old British basha shelter half. The one I currently own makes an excellent awning off the back of my Jeep it has a couple of small holes in it anyway that I've patched and I was looking to get a new one. I can only find one's in the UK, I ordered one back in September and i still haven't seen it.

If you don't know what it is I've included a link below to kind of what I'm looking at. What I'm looking for is a similar tarp it can be lighter weight or not but it needs to be durable. I use it in my get home bag that I keep in the car so I can either make kind of like a ranger burrit's like a ranger burrito, a tartp shelter or a hammock. I also use it if I decide I want to go ultralight camping off the dirt bike in the backyard, I have a nice big backyard.

I've also just thought of replacing it with a bivy sack, but that kind of stops me being able to sling it as a hammock. I've looked at a few various tarps for camping but I don't know if any of them are heavy duty enough to hold a 200 pound man in the air.

I don't know these people it was just the first good link I could find

Tragically you have to be real careful with snugpak these days. Their quality has taken a turn for the worst. I had an ionosphere that leaked like a civ. Returned it 3 times. All leaked from the same place. The older surplus kit seems to be best.

Reactions: Romeo458
Have you thought about purchasing Dyneema by the sheet and hand sewing some guy out/ attachment points?

I have some Buchat, triple braided, Sectra (the other HMPE super material), spear-gun line in 2.2mm that is rated for a static load of 1,600lbs (more than a steel cable twice the size). When I put a new Zebra string on my bow I make a new D-loop out of it, and that string will wear out before the abrasion resistant D-loop does, which is thousands and thousands of shots per season... It is almost $1.00/Ft., making it on par with high end climbing rope...
I would bet a hammock made of Dyneema fabric would hold a commuter bus.

Reactions: thejeep
I get most of my outdoor fabric from ripstop and they usually have a good assortment of Dyneema.

Reactions: Romeo458