• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

Re: British sniper breaks Rob Furlong's record

Taliban are good for something. Helping set records

Hmmm...and he shot the machine gun as well on the third shot????

So that's 3 hits in a row at 2706 yards with the third making a 1/8 MOA hit.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm...and he shot the machine gun as well on the third shot????

crazy.gif

</div></div>
My thoughts exactly. However, they must have known they were on to something to GPS the shots?

What kind of kinetic energy would a 338 LM have at 2700 yds? I am guessing the Brits use the 250g Scenar? Not sure what the MV would be out of an AI.

About 450 ft/lbs and 157 MOA drop with almost 6 seconds in the air. Man he had time to get a cup of tea before it hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> His L115A3 long-range rifle, the army’s most powerful sniper weapon, is designed to be effective at up to 4,921ft and supposedly capable of only <span style="font-weight: bold">“harassing fire”</span> beyond that range.

</div></div>

Thats one hell of a harassing they got then!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was having that thought.

And, he was shooting with his "bipod rested on a compound wall."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmm...and he shot the machine gun as well on the third shot????

crazy.gif

</div></div>

I want to know what scope has over 150 moa comeups.

dang brits, nice job

broke both arms a few weeks later. But returned to duty. Must be ... dun da dun... SUPER BRIT!

im calling bull shit on this whole thing, shooting a fuckin machine gun at 2700yds (first round hit my ass)

The rifle this guy was using typically shoots .338 Lapua 250 Lockbase ammo.

What i find funny about this whole thing is when i read this

"Harrison killed one machinegunner with his first attempt and felled the other with his next shot. He then let off a final round to knock the enemy weapon out of action"

So a 250gr Scenar Lockbase, at 2700 yards, retains enough kinetic energy to put a PKM Machinegun out of action???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle this guy was using typically shoots .338 Lapua 250 Lockbase ammo.

What i find funny about this whole thing is when i read this

"Harrison killed one machinegunner with his first attempt and felled the other with his next shot. He then let off a final round to knock the enemy weapon out of action"

So a 250gr Scenar Lockbase, at 2700 yards, retains enough kinetic energy to put a PKM Machinegun out of action???

</div></div>
I hadnt even thought about this, just the statement about making 3 first round hits at that distance with one of them on a machine gun blows my mind.

Very often, the soldiers over there are far more accrate with their shooting than the Press are with their stories.

While I have no doubt the incident happened, I would be very interested to read other accounts. There are a couple of military magazines over here and I would full expect them to cover this in their next monthly editions.

Also, and perhaps I am being a little cynical, but the story as it appears in The Times has a strong smell of propaganda to it.

As briefly mentioned in the article, we have been taking casualties from one or more Taliban "sharpshooters". Unlike the typical insurgents over there, these particular one(s) seem to be able to put fire down that is reasonable effective out to 500m or so. There is lots of speculation as to who they are, and even more speculation about who is hunting them. The article in the Times almost seems like counter-propaganda against these Taliban sharpshooter stories.

Regards,

Peter

I have my doubts...........
unless his rig was set up for that(custom base etc)It looks like it would take approximately 192 minutes of elevation or so to do that.

All I can say is, "Good shooting" if it's true, and "Good propaganda" if it isn't.

Ummm... with issue 250 lock base this is close to 150 MOA comeups (we don't know the altitude), and three hits in a row at more than 800 yds beyond supersonic range, two of them human targets (that move in the 6 seconds TOF) that are about 0.6 MOA, and then the MG that is less than half of that.

Yeah, sure...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very often, the soldiers over there are far more accrate with their shooting than the Press are with their stories.
</div></div>

Yeah, I think it is likely that the press messed this one up. Maybe it was 2700 cm. not yds.?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my doubts...........
unless his rig was set up for that(custom base etc)It looks like it would take approximately 192 minutes of elevation or so to do that. </div></div>

You mean you can't aim for the moon, or sun and hold off that way??? LOL. I don't doubt that those fine snipers are accurate shooters, but 2700 yards on a 338LM? My 338LM runs out of steam at about 2000 yards already. If it's true then I sure as hell don't need a 375 CT then.

Playing around with JBM, if he was at 15,000 feet elevation shooting at 250gr. scenar silver jacket at 3,000fps then he would have <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> needed to come up 99.3MOA from a 100 yard zero. Also that load at that altitude would stay supersonic til about 3,000 yards.

However at 10,000 feet that same load goes trans sonic at 2,500 yards.

My guess is if the event did indeed happen, it has been exagerated for propaganda purposes.

FWIW, I didn't see the 'hit the machine gun' part in other reports. Also, no word of the spotter's testimony, assuming one would have been involved in the shot.

In mentioned in the London Times article that the driver of his vehicle was acting as spotter.

Any ideas how a GPS would be used to range the spot prior to the shot? I can understand how it would be used after the shot to confirm an estimated distance, but not the other way around.

Obviously, to disable a machine gun with only about 700 ft lbs, one would aim for the trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously, to disable a machine gun with only about 700 ft lbs, one would aim for the trigger </div></div>

at 1.5 mile? that's one hell of shot then. The target is even smaller than those insurgents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In mentioned in the London Times article that the driver of his vehicle was acting as spotter.

Any ideas how a GPS would be used to range the spot prior to the shot? I can understand how it would be used after the shot to confirm an estimated distance, but not the other way around.</div></div>

Not sure what your asking, but if the target was on a noticeable terrain feature one could plug that into the GPS and it would give you a very accurate straight line distance from you to the target. This of course is assuming that you plugged the targets in with a very close 8, or at that distance, a 10 digit grid. That would require some luck though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harrison killed one machinegunner with his first attempt and felled the other with his next shot. <span style="font-weight: bold">He then let off a final round to knock the enemy weapon out of action</span></div></div>

Wow, this guy's good. Too good.

I don't buy it personally, however I maybe wrong, time will tell. Furlong required 3 shots to get the deal done, and this guy got his kills a little further, and without any spotter shots? Just seems like propaganda to me. Hope that i'm wrong, we'll see.

Branden

Sure seems hard to believe, but if it's true then it was some fine shooting

If it's true it's pretty incredible. One shot cold bore I would think is pretty amazing, two? stretching amazing. But putting the machine gun out of action at that range kind of made me think...uh maybe not so much.

We'll see I'm sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read it was 8,000 ft, </div></div>with a 250 scnar? someone plug this in and let me know the speed and TOF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: esromvre</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I read it was 8,000 ft, </div></div>with a 250 scnar? someone plug this in and let me know the speed and TOF.

</div></div>

8000 ft is 2438.4 meters or 2666.66 yards. If you remove all wind, give it a favorable altitude of 5000 ft, you get 1292.3 ft/s with 926.9 ft/lbs with a time of 4.172s. Notice the story says it took almost 3 seconds to get there. According to the ballistics a 250gr Scenar will take 2.9 seconds to go 2100 yards or 1920 meters...

Way too many sceptic septics in this thread!
laugh.gif

Simple explanation.......Trooper Harrison had three Weetabix for breakfast that day!

I do not buy it , that's bullshit !

PP out

Unfortunately, like a lot of these things there is always a lot of speculation. There is a gentleman on another forum who was involved with this incident and can verify the general data; however Some of the equipment used in this incident was later destroyed by an IED. Further, for whatever reason the trigger man's PERSEC has been compromised by the media and without further compromising anyone its difficult to give specific data on an open forum. Good drills the HCR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously, to disable a machine gun with only about 700 ft lbs, one would aim for the trigger </div></div>

Well, I'm thinking if I was in a hide & had shot two guys 6 seconds away then started looking at the business end of a machine gun- the trigger would be an obscured, indistinct target. I personally would aim at the muzzle to place my bullet up the tube to take it out. For a shot on the more difficult end of the spectrum like this i would opt for the clear target, not the obscured one.

Exactly how clear could you see a target at 1.54 miles with the magnification that they use? Could they resolve with sufficient clarity a machine gun at that distance? The scopes they use, they top out at 20x or so? I can see hitting a man sized target with a 20 or 25x scope, but a machine gun? If the machine gun was a hit, it was luck IMO.

Branden

My bet is they knew the taliban would be through that area, pre-fired some ranging shots and then the story happened.

It's not impossible, and these guys do nothing but train over there, and he hd a stable platform.

Need more specifics.

Nice story, but...according to Lapua B408 radar drop data:

-Bullet flight time would be 6.42 sec, not "under three"

-Very good MV deviation would be around 6fps- and that only will make close to one yard deviation in POI

-Practical accuracy under stress and from improvised position, say, 0.5MOA 3-shot group would be very good.
That makes additional 1.5ft to up, down, left or right deviation

-Total elevation needed with 100meters zero is around 57mils.
With 5-25 S&B, max magnification would therefore be around 8x- just to see enough hash marks for hold-over. 8x at 2500meters?

-3 hits in row -and last one destroyed PKM MG. POI for that must be under palm size area. And aimed with 8x from 1.6miles...I dont believe it would be even possile to see it.

-Three shots- three hits?
Under MG fire, ambushed, without preparation or zero-in shots with spotter?

-GI driver as a spotter

Everything is possible...but still, I´d say there is simply too many variables
first shot, why not- with huge luck. Second...hmmm...perhaps- but its like winning
national lottery. But third- destroying MG with first one?
My BS bell is ringing LOUD.

I find it hard to believe at that kind of distance.

What they don't tell you is they disabled it by shooting the safety lever into the safe position, figuring the Taliban cant reed Russian to figure out how to make it fire again.

Maybe to take out the MG he hit the post in the middle of the front sight making it unusable?