• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BRN-180s no go

oldfatguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
Really wanted BRN-180s 300 BKL to work. But wouldn’t run with FOG 220 subs. Called vendor and was told to try different mags. 11 different mags from 4 manufacturers same results. One round & FTF, at most 4 rounds then FTF. Also several light or no primer strikes. Lower is 100% with Hardened Arms DI upper. Anyone have one that runs?

OFG

There was another thread with the exact same issue on August 31. The link shows up in a Google search, but it's missing on the Hide. Wonder what happened.

I think that thread might have mentioned some possible solutions. I do know an noted issue has been barrel loosening. Could increased headspace cause the light primer strikes?

Man, this is disappointing... I really want the BRN-180s to work; it's a cool concept that allows for some flexibility in the AR platform.

Didn’t check for loose barrel. Only ran 70 rounds of Unicorn teeth thru it and the light/no primer strikes, a half dozen, were random throughout. IMHO it was very “under gassed” if that applies to a short stroke piston. The one shot with it set on setting #2 failed to cycle at all. Only tried 220 grain subs as I don’t have any rare supers.

OFG

Last edited:
Known issues are short stroking until broken in and barrels loosening. I think these are just teething pains and they'll get it sorted out. Not like it's a new concept. I've forgotten those early designs that the Magpul Masada came from, but there were cool magazine covers twenty years ago.

Known issues are short stroking until broken in and barrels loosening.....

Ok, how many rounds till “broken in”? 300 BLK is a bit hard to find right now so not wanting to burn through several hundred rounds on the hope that it will eventually run 100%. Even dies are backordered and powder out of stock.

OFG

Not sure how many rounds. That information just came from Googling BRN-180 failures and reading a few posts.