• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broke in .308 AR today

AlterEgo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Well, I broke in my DPMS pattern (24" non fluted bull barrel) AR today.

Bagged, it shot ok, maybe 1-1.5" group at 100 yds with FGMM 168 gr. I was using an old Ruskii 4x scope though, so maybe some improvement there (it does track well though).

It's been a loooooong time since I broke in a non chrome lined barrel, forgot the PITA of shoot/clean deal.

Anyhow, it needs some detail work. I shot it w/o mag and it was scraping the brass opposite the ejector so have to de-burr that stuff. Other thing was witness marks/scrapes developed on the extractor at the rear or what looks like the relief cuts in the extractor for the barrel extension locking lugs. I de-burred the feed side of the lugs already.

Unfortunately I did expect somewhat better, maybe it's my touretts trigger pull or whatever, but at what kind of round count do you guys see your DPMS barrels tighten groups up?

EDIT:
Mods please move, meant to post in semi-auto rifles section....

Re: Broke in .308 AR today

between 100-200 you should start to get close to the rifles optimum accuracy. I would use the cheapest non-corrosive non-wolf that you can find for the first 200 since your not shooting them for any purpose other than to break it in and it doesnt matter how nice the ammo you break the barrell in with it.

On another note . . .

If you dont reload, a new rifle thats not getting you the groups you want with factory ammo is the perfect reason to start. Its a lot of fun developing and finding the load that will make your rifle shoot 1/2moa, and there probably is one out there, you just have to find it and make it!

You are going to need more magnification if you want to see the rifles true potential (at least I do). I won't get into the shoot/clean debate (other than to say just shoot it!) but you are not going to get groups that are consistent if you are doing the clean shoot clean deal. All my stuff shoots better with 10-20 rounds of foulers down the pipe. Nice rifle..enjoy it!

I too recommend another scope with more magnification. A better trigger would help too. The factory DPMS trigger is a bit crude. I got a JP trigger on mine. I tried shooting all types of 168gr factory ammo, my LR308 just doesn't seem to like it, groups spread anywhere from 1.5MOA-2.5MOA. I'm starting to shoot 175gr now, so far it likes Black Hills BTHP. Consistantly shooting under 1.5MOA, occasional 3/4 MOA but then again, I'm not a great shot and there are those frequent flyers. Still new to the AR308 scene. I still need tons of practice.

I never officially broke in the barrel though, I just fired 100 rounds of S&B 147gr because it was the cheapest ammo I could find and cleaned it up real well afterwards. Barrel break-in is one of those controversial subjects so I'm not gonna go there. I'm not getting into reloading yet but I am saving up all the brass and can't wait to build my own loads but we all know that's a whole new ballgame.

I find my DPMS pattern .308, premium heavy barrelled rifle much more difficult to shoot well. I have a lot of experience with bolt guns, over a long time, but the AR style seems to need more attention paid to technique and follow through. With good technique it will shoot 3/4", but I don't enjoy shooting it as much as the bolt guns. Other shooters have said the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlterEgo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been a loooooong time since I broke in a non chrome lined barrel, forgot the PITA of shoot/clean deal.</div></div>

Try this next time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LvPjreNjg

And large patter AR's are difficult to shoot to their potential. It takes a concerted effort for me to push mine anywhere near it's limit. I am much more comfortable with a bolt gun. However, for me that's the appeal of the AR10. It's something I have to work at.