• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Broken extractor on Bolt action

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
6mm Creed I've worked up to 41grs of H4350 behind a 115 DTAC Lapua Small rifle primer brass. I've fired this load numerous times out of this action in the hot Nevada desert. Zero problems. I've since changed stocks from a Chassis to a Manners LRH stock and had it pillar bedded.(What difference could that of made?) Shooting yesterday in 33-degree weather, I fired one shot. The Bolt lift was extra hard. I felt the crunch of the extractor breaking, and out came the bolt with a stuck case in the chamber, but there was NO blown primer. I pulled a couple of bullets, and the weight was what it was supposed to be.

6mm Creed I've worked up to 41grs of H4350 behind a 115 DTAC Lapua Small rifle primer brass. I've fired this load numerous times out of this action in the hot Nevada desert. Zero problems. I've since changed stocks from a Chassis to a Manners LRH stock and had it pillar bedded.(What difference could that of made?) Shooting yesterday in 33-degree weather, I fired one shot. The Bolt lift was extra hard. I felt the crunch of the extractor breaking, and out came the bolt with a stuck case in the chamber, but there was NO blown primer. I pulled a couple of bullets, and the weight was what it was supposed to be.
The chassis switch would have made no difference whatsoever. Any chance excessive moisture/condensation in the bore or perhaps oil in the barrel from a recent cleaning?

Also, same lot of H4350 powder or did you open a brand new bottle to load those rounds shot yesterday?

I don’t know if 41g would be considered middle of the road or on the high side for those bullets w/H4350 & Lapua brass in 6cm…

The same lot of H4350 8KG. I'll run a bore scope. Moisture in the bbl, maybe? How could I of made such a rookie mistake?

Moisture? Possible but Northern Nevada is pretty dry....was the bolt like really hard to open? Did the extractor break trying to open/extract this round? Did you feel way more recoil than normal? Was this the only round fired? How many rounds in between cleanings? Whats the case look like that this happened with? How often do you clean and how many rounds since the last cleaning?

I would look closely at the "grain" of the metal where the break is..
If you have a camera that will do a close up, post it here.
It's not just firearms that are suffering metal failure, it is across the board of anything mechanical.
JMHO

Reactions: Iron Worker
Moisture? Possible but Northern Nevada is pretty dry....was the bolt like really hard to open? Did the extractor break trying to open/extract this round? Did you feel way more recoil than normal? Was this the only round fired? How many rounds in between cleanings? Whats the case look like that this happened with? How often do you clean and how many rounds since the last cleaning?
Yes, hard to open; I could feel the crunch of the extractor breaking on the opening. Yes, felt more recoil new stock is 2.5 lbs. lighter. The first and only round of the day. 60 -75rnds between cleanings. The rifle is being cleaned now,should've done that before. Significant shiny ejector mark(But I've fired many of these loads; I worked my way up) Bolt is on its way to Terminus now, they said to send it.

Reactions: Baron23
I would look closely at the "grain" of the metal where the break is..
If you have a camera that will do a close up, post it here.
It's not just firearms that are suffering metal failure, it is across the board of anything mechanical.
JMHO
I can't get a close-up view of the grain structure, bolt is on its way back to Terminus now.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Yes, hard to open; I could feel the crunch of the extractor breaking on the opening. Yes, felt more recoil new stock is 2.5 lbs. lighter. The first and only round of the day. 60 -75rnds between cleanings. The rifle is being cleaned now,should've done that before. Significant shiny ejector mark(But I've fired many of these loads; I worked my way up) Bolt is on its way to Terminus now, they said to send it.

Is it possible that the powder charge was light?

Terminus texted today(1/24) that the bolt was fixed and headed back. Sent it to PA on 1/21. That's some first-class service

Reactions: LR1845