• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broken Firing Pin

Lowe Left

Chief
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
Arizona
Planned to shoot the Las Vegas and Ash Fork matches this weekend. Just got done doing some loading for load development (280AI) and was just going to confirm zero on my trusted 260 Remmy. Practiced one dry fire off hand, cycled the bolt and felt the cocking piece contact my thumb...? WTF?

162ps9.jpg

AWESOME, broke firing pin.

ncf59g.jpg

20r31jc.jpg

Gotta make some calls!!!

Re: Broken Firing Pin

That blows

Worst case scenario, i have an extra bolt laying around that we could cannibalize for parts if you cant come up with one before the weekend.

Lowe,

Give us a call or stop by. We have aluminum and steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That blows

Worst case scenario, i have an extra bolt laying around that we could cannibalize for parts if you cant come up with one before the weekend. </div></div>

Thanks Dane, Matt has a spare I can borrow. I'm going to swing by Phoenix Custom Rifles and get a new one. Appreciate the offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowe,

Give us a call or stop by. We have aluminum and steel. </div></div>

I will give you a call today Brad, thanks.

Swung by Phoenix Custom Rifles @ lunch today. Picked up a new "all steel" firing pin assembly. Thanks PCR you guys are great.

I don't know Steve, it was in the gun when I bought off this site. The rebarreled 280AI is showing some promise... a .141, 3-shot group using 162 Amax and H1000. Hoping to let her bark at the match on Sunday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowe Left</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know Steve, it was in the gun when I bought off this site. The rebarreled 280AI is showing some promise... a .141, 3-shot group using 162 Amax and H1000. Hoping to let her bark at the match on Sunday. </div></div>

Was your trigger starting to feel weird right before the shaft broke?

This happened on my MAK. I think the FP shaft had been fatigued for a while because I wasn't able to get a crisp pull on the Jewel anymore even with fine tuning the adjustment. I noticed my rifle wasn't shooting tight anymore either. I actually thought my barrel was worn out. Got the new barrel on, went to go work up a load and no go banggy
confused.gif
ended up pulling the FP shaft right out the back like you. I called to complain to SSS, they said they weren't producing the TI FP's anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was your trigger starting to feel weird right before the shaft broke?</div></div>
I didn't notice anything different until I cycled the bolt back. Lesson learned, I've got a new STEEL FP assembly in the rifle and will soon have a spare in the pack too.

Ever run into maciej szerbiak at the Vegas shoots? I lost touch with him a few years back....hell of a shot no matter what gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever run into maciej szerbiak at the Vegas shoots? I lost touch with him a few years back....hell of a shot no matter what gun. </div></div>
If you're asking me, no. But, this is only the 2nd time shooting with the Vegas crew. Great bunch to shoot with.