• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broken firing pin

salmonaxe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2007
Lynnwood, WA
A few years ago I changed out my Jlock firing pin for a Callahan speedlock firing pin assembly on my Remington 700 5R Milspec. It worked great since then and I figured it was working fine. I probably had dry fired it several hundred times, if not several thousand times.

Anyway, just this past week I installed a CG Jackson Model 22 tactical trigger. I noticed right off the bat that the bolt lift seemed heavier with this trigger. Also seemed it was heavier on close. Seemed kind of strange to me. Might have been the heavier closing making me think the bolt lift was heavier.

Anyways about 100 or so dryfires in, the firing pin broke. It did it right at the connection between the aluminum shaft and the steel firing pin tip. The aluminum was the material that failed. When placed back together, it appeared as the aluminum shaft forward of the break had bent down a couple of degrees. Examining the interior of the bolt did not show any anomalies. Everything else looked fine.

So, was this the triggers fault? Was it just the firing pins "time to go"? I'm thinking I'll get a fully steel firing pin now, but still I'd like to know if there was some deeper more inherent problem that caused this break.

Thoughts?

Re: Broken firing pin

agree . your only saving what 1oz maybe?

Happened to me about two weeks ago. Back to a steel pin. No more alloy for this little black duck.

I have never broken a Tubb Speedlock pin before, its one of the better alloy/steel pins out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...637#Post1659637 </div></div>

Hey that looks identical to mine!
shocked.gif

Steel is the only way to go. Anything else is a fishing lure.