• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Broken Screw Extraction

zekers7

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2017
Don’t ask how. One broke going in. Other coming out but I’m not very happy.

Any very fast very good business for screw extraction services?

ADCO has some brutal turn around times for something I’ve already been waiting months to complete.

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpeg
    IMG_9927.jpeg
    426.6 KB · Views: 113
@308pirate is the poor for this job.

I will say, if you have access to the correct equipment, spot or centre drill, carbide drill, and easy-out, or retap it once drilled.

If you are really lucky, often when you drill it, you get a nice little coil you can pull out with pliers / grips. You MUST set it up and drill it dead nuts centre.

Good luck.

Reactions: Modoc and lariat
Iceng is correct. The only other item I would look at once they are out is the threads in the part. Something is going on there, either with the screws or the thread dims in the hole. Regardless I would take a serious look at chasing th threads with a quality tap. By quality I mean something other than hardware store Irwin brand crap. A spiral flute bottoming tap would be good.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I was wondering about the loctite too. If it was loctite I would still chase it to remove the residue, but that's just me. I want those threads as clean as possible before I ran another screw down a hole that I had to drill a screw out of.

100% be chasing that thread regardless, because it a broken bolt occured in it, it may habe been a 6mm bolt in a 1/4 unf hole. Fun times. Those suckers go in like 3 turns easily before they even start to resist.

maybe not on the beaten path, but have you called a few machine shops or mechanics near you? Most mechanics I know are pretty well versed in extracting a broken screw..but we're in the rust belt.

Its on its way to d wilson. The extractor is really jammed in there and don’t want to trash my ATX or make this worse than it currently is. Got it back from a cerakote job and feel like the paint may have gummed up the threads.

Reactions: lariat
Let us know how it goes. I'm about to attempt drilling one out. I've removed broken screws from other things, but not a rifle yet.