• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Broncos fan — not sure if the Mahomes contract is great or terrible news

stilesg57

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
NRA Headquarters
I am a maniac about my hometown team so it’s been a rough couple years since Manning retired and watching this kid in KC rise up has been terrifying. Now I know how KC’ers felt circa ~1985 like “oh shit this Elway kid is gonna be terrifying our division for at least a decade...”

So Mahomes gets his big contract, and man is it big. First half-billion contract in pro sports I believe (with incentives).

My first thought was: great — break the bank and make sure they can’t afford to put a team around him.

My second thought was: oh crap — this is actually a team-friendly deal when you think about it given the clip at which the salary cap will increase over each of those 10 years...halfway through it he’ll likely be a below average paid QB. Maybe this is a nightmare.

Your thoughts?

Patrick Mahomes signed a 10 year, $450,000,000 contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $141,481,905 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $45,000,000. In 2020, Mahomes will earn a base salary of $825,000 and a signing bonus of $10,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,346,508 and a dead cap value of $64,953,413. Linky

The contract seems to be very team friendly at a cap value of $5.3mil/year. That's down in RG3 and Matt Barkeley territory for a perennial league MVP. I don't know how the dead cap will hit the Chiefs, but I do know that they can't surround themselves with all the offensive and free agent talent they had last year.

Meanwhile, I'm one of those guys wondering why the hell athletes (and their management) are getting paid so much money...

I stopped watching the NFL when the kneeling started. Never looked back.

Meanwhile, I'm one of those guys wondering why the hell athletes (and their management) are getting paid so much money...

They get paid well because they are the only ones in the world that have the talent. Messi probably makes more than any basketball player. Canelo Alvarez probably makes more than any baseball player. Right now, Mahomes makes more than any other football player. But not for long.

Because they’re worth it — the league is printing money. And even the poorest owners are worth ten fold what all the players on a roster combined are.

The contract seems to be very team friendly at a cap value of $5.3mil/year. That's down in RG3 and Matt Barkeley territory for a perennial league MVP. I don't know how the dead cap will hit the Chiefs, but I do know that they can't surround themselves with all the offensive and free agent talent they had last year.

This. This is what scares me. Hopefully it hurts them in the near term while Drew Lock and his new weapons get their feet under them but a few years in... 😳😬

This. This is what scares me. Hopefully it hurts them in the near term while Drew Lock and his new weapons get their feet under them but a few years in... 😳😬

I got some bad news about Drew Lock. He isn't John Elway. Hope the kid plays well though.

They get paid well because they are the only ones in the world that have the talent. Messi probably makes more than any basketball player. Canelo Alvarez probably makes more than any baseball player. Right now, Mahomes makes more than any other football player. But not for long.

Value isn't there for $500M contracts, sorry.

Agree
I got some bad news about Drew Lock. He isn't John Elway. Hope the kid plays well though.

Agree 100%, on all counts. Don’t necessarily need an Elway caliber QB to win championships (doesn’t hurt), but definitely need more ability under center than we’ve had for a while regardless of how good the defense is.

Bread and games....wtf cares anymore.... Like the NRA, the NFL is a worthless organization

Reactions: Riverlife87