• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bronze Wool for stainless guns Question

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019
I've read more than a few posts about using bronze wool to polish, or remove tiny rust spots on STAINLESS STEEL guns- do you guys use medium or fine, and with what chemical?

Last edited:
Medium with Kroil works well. Some people suggest Hoppes, but I would think that just breakdown the bronze wool faster and not really improve anything.

Use Hoppes or KG copper remover afterwards to eliminate any yellow or copper stain.

Last edited:
Any good gun cleaner and a cloth. Cloth is abrasive enough that, with cleaner/kroil/wd40... anything like that, you can polish off fine rust.

Be careful with bronze wool. It can both abrade the finish, but also 'rub off' and leave yellow/bronze hues where you rubbed it.

Sirhr

I edited my OP to show that I'm asking about bronze wool on stainless steel guns.

I just use standard 0000 steel wool. It’s safe even on bluing, if you don’t wear yourself out putting a ton of elbow grease into it. I’d get tired before it took the bluing off, and stainless obviously doesn’t have that concern.

I have used the 3M pads very successfully on SS. Use a light oil and rub smooth and slow all in the same direction for best results.
Had an SS HK USP that I brought back to new condition with these pads. Looked just like new........

Both steel wool pads and bronze wool pads will leave micro pieces of themselves on the object being polished- but the bronze pieces don't rust like the steel does.

I use 0000 steel wool wet with WD40 on stainless . Works great for me .

This product came up recently on another forum- haven't used it, but cheap enuf that I'm gong to order some and give it a try.

I've largely replaced steel/bronze wool (and fine sandcloth) with Scotchbrite pads, including finishing chambers with the fine gray.

I use ScotchBrite pads, can get them at grocery or hardware stores. Light abrasion to high is blue, green, maroon; if the finish has a "grain" make sure you polish with the grain or it will look bad.

Reactions: Milf Dots
*If* you use steel wool it will transfer carbon onto/into the stainless and everywhere you scrubbed with it will now be susceptible to rusting.
I worked in a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant as a machine repair guy for a while (temp job, so shoot me).
Everything was, and had to be, stainless.....you learn this shit quick or are looking for another job, quick.
If you use ANYTHING like a wire wheel, sand paper, file, whatever, that has touched carbon steel you cannot use it on stainless or problems happen like, now.