• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Brown Athlon Ares ETR UHD 4.5-30x56 review

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
I've been wanting to try one of these ever since they came out, I was looking for 30x and another aspect, which concerns illumination which I cover below.

The ETR got to my house in 5 days, ordered afternoon of the 19th of Feb and received on the 24th, that's in a timely time frame I'd say.

As always with Athlon scope boxes the ETR came in a nice colorful box, both ends of the scope, and the bottom turret, were supported with rigid foam so it'd be hard for the scope to be damaged in shipping, which is something I appreciate, as I'm sure everyone would. The scope looked brand new as it should. I had my doubts when I ordered but I like the burnt color of the brown/bronze anodized finish, glad I got this color! My impression is this finish seems durable, unlike a $1800 IOR scope I used to own that was obviously painted on, which scratched off in their supplied IOR rings when I slid that scope forward to adjust eye relief. There was no drama mounting and leveling the ETR in the ARC 34mm rings. BTW these American Rifle Company/ARC rings are extremely well made and very differently engineered compared to all the other rings out there, being that the design employs basically a double, and opposing, strap wrench concept! My rings are a 1st gen set that are 10 years old but the newest gen are equally awesome.

First impressions?? Well it's not a huge or long scope at 15.3" – check that off. Ever seen those old USO 5-25's, they are 20''s?? or so long. This ETR is not so heavy for this class of scope either, that's good, it's "36.5oz", – check that one off too. Speaking of weight have you ever picked up a Vortex Gen2 Razor 4.5-27×56?? man they are pigs, at 48.5 oz, crazy! I give the ETR a solid pass for both those aspects.

Of course I went straight to the 10 mil per rev elevation turret because that's what I use most. Okay this aspect of the ETR is astounding, no lie! Perfect IMO, it has SUPER distinct clicks, in fact the best I've felt on any riflescope!!! Keep in mind I own S&B's too!, The sound the clicks make are very very audible, also more than any scope I've ever heard before. The white lines indicating 10ths of mils all line up with the centerline on the housing, again perfectly. Those lines are easy to see and standout, unlike the lines on my S&B's which can be hard to see for my old eyes, part of that reason is the S&B double turn turret has 14 mils crammed into the turret so there isn't much room to space the "thin" lines. Of note on the ETR elevation turret, the action of the turret is on the harder tension side of scope turrets, this I like because there is less chance of them moving by accident somehow. Though it is easy to make one click at a time without running over to the next click. Lastly the zero stop is easy to set, and the top screws on both turrets come off with a coin so no tools needed. The elevation travel is 32 mils so plenty of travel. Even though the EVOL has a "50" moa base, yes it is actually 50, I was still able to get a 30 yard zero!!!

Next I went to the windage turret. Much the same but it takes less tension to move it. It has a large-ish R for right, and L for left, so you know which direction to go at a glance. Nice, it has a locking feature! Just pull out to turn the turret and push in to lock again, this also has a very distinct snap in and out feel. Check – very well done indeed! One time I put my S&B 5-25 into my drag bag and inbetween stages the windage turret accidentally turned, that cost me a lot of points! Ever since I've liked locking turrets.

Side focus next, 25Y to infinity, a good action to them, nothing odd to report, check that off too. ""EDIT - I posted this review on a airgun forum too"" If you have low powered AG's that you'll shoot at 10Y this scope is not for you. However I found that this scope does focus to 15Y on 4.5x. Otherwise it's versatile for most any other application one could want to use a scope for.

ILLumination, to actuate this feature go to the very end of the side focus knob where it resides. It's got 6 different brightness settings with a 0 inbetween each setting so we don't have to go all the way back to a stop to shut off the illume, that's a convenient thing! THE other """BIGGEST THING""" to me is this scope does have "DAYLIGHT BRIGHT" illume!!!! I love this feature on low magnification, and on black steel plates, or black round paper bulls! A BIG CHECK OFF for this aspect! This is another reason I chose this scope over others.

GLASS, you've been waiting for this, right?! Well it's awesome, or I should say better than I expected it to be! Looking through my Athlon Ares BTR gen1, the ETR has much more/better image quality, it's pleasantly superior. Comparing to my S&B 5-25 it's close, almost there, just less, but plenty nice, and that's really nitpicking. The ETR pulls off 30x well, no darkening and the image is crisp and clear. On 4.5x the FOV is huge and sharp from edge to edge. No CA that I can see either. The general colors are true to life which makes the experience of gazing through the scope seem like it's an S&B. Check this area off with flying colors – pun intended.

Reticle, okay this is my only small complaint. The truth is I like "all .2 mil" tree reticles for exacting holdovers and holdoffs, it's my personal preference, you may not feel this way! I do like the line thickness, it's .03 mil for the main crosshair and is also for the center dot. See here for all reticle dimensions https://athlonoptics.com/wp-content...-Ares-ETR-APRS1-FFP-IR-MIL-Reticle-Manual.pdf Basically on low magnification I use the reticle as kind of a tree looking, upwards pointing arrow, duplex reticle because the center dot can't be seen, though with the illume on the reticle sticks out dramatically, especially useful on 4.5x to 8x No drama on mid power, I can see the reticle fine without illume. On high magnification the center dot and the rest of the reticle actually appears large. Remember that in a FFP scope "no matter how small or large the reticle appears" all those dimensions remain exactly the same on "any magnification". I do like center dots, so I can suffer the .5 mil hashes as my compromise for the benefit of having 30x which is half of why I wanted to get the ETR. I'll give this a check, only because I'm picky when it comes to reticles, and I know that 90% of shooters wouldn't care one way or another. Also in many ways this reticle blows most other reticles
DSC00186.JPG
out of the water anyway. Like this aspect, see the reticle in the link above, there are no mil line numbers just off the vertical crosshair getting in the way of a wind holdoff, when holding over. I hate looking through a number, don't you??!!

Magnification ring action is good, maybe a little on the stiff side. Numbers are easy to see. Check.

Euro style diopter adjustment is good and with no slop. I like this type of diopter because my eyes fluctuate and I let friends and family look through my scopes, and first thing that has to happen is they need to set the reticle focus to their eyes. I like that I can set it back for me quickly! Check.

Conclusion; To start. I don't see how anyone could not love this scope if that person likes FFP scopes! Man it totally kicks butt on many scopes costing a significant amount more $. I could name brands but that'd be in poor taste. Let's just say I'm glad I sold some scopes costing more money because for various reasons certain aspects of the scope were to me a disappointing "FAIL" which I couldn't talk myself into putting up with. Let's just say I've felt crappy turrets, lines on turrets not lining up, seen poor glass, seen poorly designed reticles, on and on and on, and I gotta say that this scope is such a well sorted out scope regardless of cost! How much do I like this scope? Well if it had an all .2 mil tree reticle and it focused down to 10Y, I'd sell all my S&B's!!! That's how much I like the ETR and that says a lot about it. Hint -hint!

Any questions you may have please feel free to ask.

Here in a short while I'll be mounting this ETR on my 6.5Saum, it's only temporarily on this air gun, because I posted this review on Airgun Nation too, and of course they want to see nice scopes just as much as we do.

WHAT THE HECK RIFLE IS THAT, you say??!!
It's a American Air Arms EVOL, in 30 caliber - a 9 shot repeating 'mag unshone' - PCP air rifle, featuring a biathlon style lever action and a titanium air tube, as well as a 50 moa scope base for long range. The tune is 50.1 grain pellets at 882 fps and groups at 50Y are often all touching. Just less than 80fpe energy.

What for you say??? Because, that's why - Just kidding, it's for hunting and a match called the "Extreme Bench Rest" match that Airguns of Arizona puts on annually. As well, this thing really thuds small game and steel hard - for a pellet gun!

Believe it or not I was hitting a 7" diamond at 289Y with it and a full sized metallic chicken silhouette was easy to hit at 200M. Which is amazing for a pellet gun using pellets.
DSC00182.JPG
DSC00183.JPG
DSC00187.JPG

Last edited:
Man do I appreciate this! I have been lurking around reading all I could about this scope as I’m very interested but hesitant. I think you helped validate my own thoughts! Thanks for the write-up!

Reactions: steve123
Have you looked through the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29? If yes ... how does this one compare?

Just got off the phone with Doug placing an order for one. He pointed me to the review as I spoke with him. Great review with a lot of good info on the scope, I believe this will be the first of a few of these scopes I purchase.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
@gr8fuldoug is the man when it comes to Athlon products, isn't he?

Very happy with the service and pricing I received. And I really appreciate that he accommodated a less than simple transaction from my side. Anyone looking at Athlon owes it to themselves to give him a call.

Awesome review and super thanks for it. That burnt bronze looks very nice and I am surprised being as I'm a basic black man. Doug is The Man for Athlon - I bought a Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 for the reticle and magnification and got damn good glass in the bargain. I'm really impressed with Athlon bang for the $. I'm an Athlon Whore for Life now.

VooDoo

Is this a different scope then the Athlon Ares Etr 4.5-30 that came out 2 years ago? I dont recall the UHD being in the name...

You are all welcome, glad you liked my review, and thankyou for taking the time to read it.

Also for those that have had a ETR, and used it a while, it's reassuring to know that they have held up well.

Have you looked through the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29? If yes ... how does this one compare?

I have looked through 3 Cronus scopes, owning one of those. Though I haven't compared the ETR side by side with a Cronus or a Cronus BTR.
Right now I'd have to think that the glass is very close to each other???
Maybe someone that has compared both line's side by side can comment.

I do prefer the turrets on the ETR.
I like the shorter length of the Cronus and I think it has a little brighter illume on the highest setting.
I loved the old .2 mil reticle in the original Cronus!

Is this a different scope then the Athlon Ares Etr 4.5-30 that came out 2 years ago? I dont recall the UHD being in the name...

No, it's the same scope I believe.

UHD stands for Ultra High Definition. I don't know if new coatings were used, or the glass is any different now, vs when the ETR first came out???

Maybe Doug knows??

Great write up. I have two Athlon Ares ETR scopes and love them both. I don't think anyone would be upset with purchasing one of these scopes.

Reactions: 10ring1
Very nice write-up, I've had the ETR from the very beginning and it is an exceptionally nice scope. The reticle is thinner than I like (different folks, different strokes), but aside from that I found very little to complain about.

ILya

Reactions: DIBBS and steve123
Ok. big question now. Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30 for 1050 dollars or the Steiner px4i 4-16 for 800? Is the Athlon any improvement and worth the extra 250 dollars? Im okay with lower mag, and i know different erector set. I did read your write up @koshkin on your website concerning these. Any new info? Any negatives to the Steiner concerning warranty or the fact that theyre discontinued? Germany glass vs Chinese glass?

P4Xi was better in low light when I had them side by side largely due to better contrast.

Basically, if you need magnification and a tree reticle for around $1k, it is between Ares ETR and Optika6. If you like a simpler reticle and low light is a priority, go for P4Xi.

ILya

Reactions: Fweedombypepe
No, it's the same scope I believe.

UHD stands for Ultra High Definition. I don't know if new coatings were used, or the glass is any different now, vs when the ETR first came out???

Maybe Doug knows??
When it came they were saying the Cronus is a step up in glass..Japanese vs Chinese blah blah...and now on the website the glass specs are exactly the same between the Cronus and Ares ETR

P4Xi was better in low light when I had them side by side largely due to better contrast.

Basically, if you need magnification and a tree reticle for around $1k, it is between Ares ETR and Optika6. If you like a simpler reticle and low light is a priority, go for P4Xi.

ILya
Only thing keeping me from buying the Steiner is 50yard minimum focus. I want it mainly for precision 22lr and sometimes the damn bluejays in my backyard gets closer then that. If somebody posted an ETR for 800 in the px i'd be all over it. As far as the Optika..i simply dont like the looks. The oversized grip portion on the mag ring and turrets just dont look right.

Only thing keeping me from buying the Steiner is 50yard minimum focus. I want it mainly for precision 22lr and sometimes the damn bluejays in my backyard gets closer then that. If somebody posted an ETR for 800 in the px i'd be all over it. As far as the Optika..i simply dont like the looks. The oversized grip portion on the mag ring and turrets just dont look right.

Wait a little and I probably will post mine up. Once or twice a year I rotate through scopes.

ILya

Where did you find glass specs on these?

just from the features from Athlon website i guess.

ILya
UHD GlassExtra-Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.
Ares Etr UHD

UHD GlassExtra-Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.
Cronus BTR

Ares Etr UHD

Cronus BTR

That's just marketing.

ILya

I will be posting a ton of stuff in the for sale section. I have no space left in the safe, so a bunch of stuff needs to go.

ILya
What are your thoughts on this scope compared to the Optika 6?

What are your thoughts on this scope compared to the Optika 6?

They are very competitive with each other. I prefer the Optika6 reticle (for obvious reasons, having designed it), but I like the turrets on the ETR a little more. Optically, they seem to be very similar to me.

The ETR reticle is too thin for my uses and I prefer consistent 0.2mrad holds across the board. Hwoever, reticles are a personal preference. Aside from that, given the cost, I found very little to complain about with the ETR.

ILya

ILya
Couldn't wait for you to post your ETR..so i ordered a P4XI from @gr8fuldoug. Can't wait.!

Great write up. Thanks for that. I agree 100%. Unless one has never looked through an Athlon, they would never know the image quality they are missing. An exceptional value for what you get

I mounted the ETR on my ARC Mausingfield 6mmBR! I'll take some picks in that same dirt "with" another filter on the camera lens.

The dope was as perfect as it gets at 675Y and 812Y when I shot that combo on Wednesday. Hit the 10" plate/675Y on the first try, and the 12" plate/812Y on the 2nd try - had to correct for wind but all hits were centered. SO this ETR tracks well to 812Y for sure. And the glass was very nice indeed.

Had my 4 buds look through the ETR and all were impressed! One of them always puts every scope he looks through under scrutiny, even he couldn't find fault - those were his exact words. Another friend said woehhh, sounded just like that and lasted about as long. You know, that 1970's, /dope smoking, kind of long woe sound, lol.

Had my 4 buds look through the ETR and all were impressed! One of them always puts every scope he looks through under scrutiny, even he couldn't find fault - those were his exact words. Another friend said woehhh, sounded just like that and lasted about as long. You know, that 1970's, /dope smoking, kind of long woe sound, lol.

Picking up my Vudoo from Mile Shooting Accessories I had my Ares BTR in hand to make sure it would clear the barrel in the rings I had. Mike was doing the transfer for me and while I was test fitting it, he asked if it was an Athlon. I told him it was and he asked if he could look. I handed it to him and he held it up looking outside and immediate said "wow". I think he was taken back a bit by how good it actually was.

Awesome writeup, thanks Steve. I'll be getting one in the next few weeks based on this and every other review I've read.

One question regarding the illumination, are the numbers illuminated as well, or is it just the main hashes, or does light bleed off from the reticle onto the numbers? Wont change my mind either way, but this will be the most I've spent on any optic so curious what to expect.

Reactions: loveha
The ETR is more of a frosty bronzy color. Ever seen the Vortex Razor color, it's not much different.

If you wanted a scope to match FDE, I'd personally get whatever scope - Ceracoted to match.
Thanks for the info

I love my ETR!
When compared to my Cronus, it's very very close but the Cronus edges it out a the top end where the eye box is slightly more forgiving I feel.