• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Brown Bear Photos

UgashikBob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
Outlet Lower Ugashik Lake AK
Took all these photos two days ago from my front deck:

10022010-7.jpg

This guy was about 150 yards down wind from me getting a good whiff of my scent

10022010-8.jpg

So impressed he walked about 20 feet and went to sleep for a half hour

10022010-10.jpg
10022010-11.jpg

Checked me out a couple times during a rain squall.

10022010-13.jpg

Walked back upstream

1002201014.jpg

And went fishing

Re: Brown Bear Photos

It would be strange and awesome to see that from the front deck.

That makes for some great viewing from your deck. Better than my bird feeder

Jeezuz Bob, looks like he's giving you the 'stink eye'.

That's a little spooky having him lurking around your house. I don't think I'd go outside at night to take a piss.

MM:
He gave me a worse stink eye yesterday as he was walking through my yard while I was putting up my electric fence. He looks a lot bigger at 20 feet.

MM:
Not anymore. Got the electric fence working yesterday and got to watch a small one get lit up this morning. The time between shot #2 and #3 was incredibly fast. The one above had walked by several minutes earier and get a respectable distance. Think he may of been lit up during the night.
10042010-1.jpg

10042010-2.jpg
10042010-3.jpg

S2 A Kodiak Brown Bear is just a Coastal Brown Bear that happens to live on Kodiak Island which is about 30 miles across the straight from where I live on the Alaska Peninsula. The record books have two clases Coastal Brown Bear and Interior Brown Bear which are x miles inland from the coast and do not have the high protien salmon diets like the Coastal Brownies which are larger.

MM
Wish I had some of your mulies in my front yard.

Jealousy set in after the first picture. That would be an awesome sight to see stuff like that everyday. Awesome pics and thanks for sharing.

beautiful animals indeed, hopefully that electric fence does its job.

Those are great pics! Do you ever hunt them around there? I think if I lived there I would have to invest in a 50 cal pistol.

Awesome pictures. Having only lived in MD and NC, it's hard for me to imagine seeing that from a front deck...

Thanks for sharing.

OL:
His track measured a little over 8" so he would probably square at leat 9
ES:
Our area has a strange season with spring hunts on even years and fall hunts on odd years.

Man, I guess you are used to it but I'd have a hard time sleeping with those critters in my back yard! Thanks for the cool pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dyoung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I guess you are used to it but I'd have a hard time sleeping with those critters in my back yard! Thanks for the cool pics. </div></div>
you live in Kommiefornia...that makes no sense at all...by the way, great pictures BOB...keep them coming.

Bob, I have been around a bunch of Browns, he is in the high 9s, hell he has no ears, that's a great sign. The first set of pic seem to be a different bore then the ones in the front yard. Is it a different bear?

Bob - simply amazing...must be incredible to see in real life...yeah, I'd take a few of Shane's mulies as well.

Bob I'm so jealous of you..... I'll trade you my home in AZ for yours in AK.....

Alaska_________________Solar power and Nature...

you said taking water samples...state job? to boot

sounds like a love story! AWESOME!

Great stuff Bob!

I was up in Alaska again in September, fly fishing the silver salmon run. Many, many fish coming up the river. Fishing was phenomenal, more phenomenal than normal!

We only saw a few bears. A couple of guys moved off the river when two bears came down to fish. Good call I thought.

Awesome pics.. I'm Jealous, that's for sure..

Keep posting pics, they are excellent..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great stuff Bob!

I was up in Alaska again in September, fly fishing the silver salmon run. Many, many fish coming up the river. Fishing was phenomenal, more phenomenal than normal!

We only saw a few bears. A couple of guys moved off the river when two bears came down to fish. Good call I thought. </div></div>

I was up on the Kenai just out of Soldotna Aug 5-14. Caught a bunch of reds and only hooked a couple silvers. I think I hooked one big king but my line broke before I could get settled in and land him. Oh well, would have had to toss him back right away anyhow. Had to laugh about the fishing style. I've never done "flippin'" before. Didn't know it worked that good.
grin.gif

AM:
The first boar is the one that tried to come through our living room window. The paw print on two of our windows and the paw print where I took his photo both measured 8 1/4" so I would guess he is a little over nine. They sometimes grow even with a steel tape.
The second set of photos is a different bear that tested my electric fence and the third set were different bears taken at Ugashik Narrows about ten miles from here. I was there helping a friend do water sampling for salmon studies. I'm just an old retired guy doing what I want to do.
M7:
Here is a photo of one of our silvers on a fly and the second is a local subsistence user:
09112010-7.jpg
09112010-4.jpg

Been in Alaska a couple of years ago , outstanding place indeed , amazing nature , wildlife and landscape , congrats for the pix !

PP out

Bob, thanks - great pics of a stunning animal.

My daughter is hoping to visit Alaska to watch bears before she goes to University. She'd be amazed by your post!