• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brownells Alumahyde??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I'm not sure i am spelling this right (Alumahyde) but at any rate, how tough is this stuff? Is it better than Krylon? I see that they offer it in two different types. A spray bomb can and a mix meant for a air brush paint gun. Any differences? Just looking for some info! Lee

Re: Brownells Alumahyde??

I have used the Alumahyde II and it is pretty tough. In terms of chemical resistance, it's much better than Krylon. On that same note, it's much harder to remove.

When you spray it on, don't touch it for a week! You think it's dry but it'll dent and smear.

It goes on thicker than duracoat and I would not want to apply it to anything with close tolerances. Im liking it better than duracoat on stocks but they do not offer alot of colors in liquid form. If you get the cans make sure to get extra nozzles, they sell them 3 or 5 at a time for a reason. Also using an airbrush it will tend to clog the .5mm nozzles due to the heavier pigments even if you shake the crap out of it.

I take the nozzle out and spray brake cleaner though it after each use. That keeps it nice and clean.

What pressure were you shooting at? I had some clogging using a tube feed and had to keep three nozzles handy to finish. I ended up switching to a HVLP to shoot it smoother but it is not set up to shoot low volume, precise stuff. I never realized how tough the Alum II was until I tried to strip a stock that had been painted several years ago, much better durability than expected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What pressure were you shooting at?</div></div>

Beats me, it was a spray paint type can.

I just take it off, attach the bottom nipple onto the end of my red brake cleaner hose/extension and shoot it out for a few seconds.

The Alumahyde on the crown on my LTR was chipping witing a few months of painting it.