• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brownells over restricting

Ahogue

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2019
Port byron ,il
I have been looking for a new chassis and came across somthing i definitely do not agree with at brownells

The state of il now has an "assault weapons" ban that also includes parts of awb or parts that can be readily converted, now in this law bolt action rifles are excluded from this

Went to order an mpr chassis (yeah i know christensen rifles have a bad wrap) and it shows its a regulated item and they will not ship to il now to me this doesnt make any sense as its for a bolt action rifle but it seems their legal team is going overboard

But it gets better and this was just an example i found

Solus rifle - no issue
Solus action - no issue
Solus barreled action - no issue
Solus chassis - wont ship to il
Proof barrel for orgin/solus - wont ship to il

So you can order an full rifle no issues or action or the barreld action...but not the dam chassis to put it in???

Kinda of a good example here of how a law intended the scary black rifles is having a trickle down effect on everything else

Im currently waiting on a call back from their compliance dept to push the issue more, i fully realize i can just shop elsewhere but i still think its an issue that needs addressing

Reactions: el Man and lash
Do you know the exact language of the new law? I wonder if the language may be vague enough such that a complete rifle with a known mag capacity (for example) will pass, but a chassis with potential to take a DBM that holds more than x rounds might not?

So here is the full bill i believe and there is nothing that specific or vague in there the part i believe they are basing it on is this portion

Taken from page 86

"(I) Any part or combination of parts designed or
intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon,
including any combination of parts from which an assault
weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the
possession or under the control of the same person."

But bolt actions are excluded from this and its stated in the law and these parts they are restricting are not designed or intended for awb

Pg 93

(2) "Assault weapon" does not include:
(A) Any firearm that is an unserviceable firearm or
has been made permanently inoperable.
(B) An antique firearm or a replica of an antique
firearm.
(C) A firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump,
lever or slide action, unless the firearm is a shotgun
with a revolving cylinder.

Reactions: Explorer and lash
From a fairly good source, a lot of these new laws are intended to be able to sue companies out of existence even if from civil lawsuits.

Also many of these companies are not going about this all alone with a single compliance officer calling the shots. But rather they belong to some form of organization that gives further guidance until things are clear.

Odds are whatever you are experiencing is from an abundance of caution standpoint.

Some people say "just sell what you want and F them" but there is an increasing belief that that strategy is a losing one. In the long term it potentially will give the anti gunners exactly what they want.

Yes we can defeat them short term, but we actually have to defeat them long term and on a specific battle field.

I can certainly order else where and i can have it shipped to friends elsewhere as i live on the border

But its just flat out frustrating as it is with the ar situation but ive gone more to bolt guns over the last few years and now with no actual restrictions im being limited

The move to ia for us in definitely eminent but until then kinda screwed and wifes already been told there will be a stash of cash for supressors and tax stamps the day that its official

Reactions: lash
So here is the full bill i believe and there is nothing that specific or vague in there the part i believe they are basing it on is this portion

Taken from page 86

"(I) Any part or combination of parts designed or
intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon,
including any combination of parts from which an assault
weapon may be readily assembled if those parts are in the
possession or under the control of the same person."

But bolt actions are excluded from this and its stated in the law and these parts they are restricting are not designed or intended for awb
Is the chassis compatible with .50 cal receivers? Seems like the ban includes anything chambered in .50.

(b) Except as provided in subsections (c), (d), and (e), on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 102nd General Assembly, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, import, or purchase or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, imported, or purchased by another, an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d), beginning January 1, 2024, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly possess an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge.
(d) This Section does not apply to a person's possession of an assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge device if the person lawfully possessed that assault weapon, assault weapon attachment, .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge prohibited by subsection (c) of this Section, if the person has provided in an endorsement affidavit, prior to January 1, 2024, under oath or affirmation and in the form and manner prescribed by the Illinois State Police, no later than October 1, 2023:

I have been looking for a new chassis and came across somthing i definitely do not agree with at brownells

The state of il now has an "assault weapons" ban that also includes parts of awb or parts that can be readily converted, now in this law bolt action rifles are excluded from this

Went to order an mpr chassis (yeah i know christensen rifles have a bad wrap) and it shows its a regulated item and they will not ship to il now to me this doesnt make any sense as its for a bolt action rifle but it seems their legal team is going overboard

But it gets better and this was just an example i found

Solus rifle - no issue
Solus action - no issue
Solus barreled action - no issue
Solus chassis - wont ship to il
Proof barrel for orgin/solus - wont ship to il

So you can order an full rifle no issues or action or the barreld action...but not the dam chassis to put it in???

Kinda of a good example here of how a law intended the scary black rifles is having a trickle down effect on everything else

Im currently waiting on a call back from their compliance dept to push the issue more, i fully realize i can just shop elsewhere but i still think its an issue that needs addressing
If I had to guess, maybe it’s because of the detachable mags, pistol grips, and barrel shrouds (handguards)? You know, all those uber-dangerous items that make “Assault weapons” super duper evil. 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

If I had to guess, maybe it’s because of the detachable mags, pistol grips, and barrel shrouds (handguards)? You know, all those uber-dangerous items that make “Assault weapons” super duper evil. 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼
Next post down show another passage from the law that states an bolt operated rifle doesnt constitute as an assault weapon

I would push the issue with Brownells. They are not interpreting the law correctly. Or ask for an explination how it is in violation.
Thats where im at currently customer service was just spouting off there book so they pushed it up so im suppose to be getting a call back from the compliance dept

Reactions: lash and Halfnutz
Similar bullshit for muzzle devices in WA at select locations, like Sportsman’s.

“You could maybe be going to build a fully-semiautomatic assault barrel!”

No, really.

That's the reason behind the phrase "any part or combination of parts." The fact that it can be interpreted to mean that a muzzle device, crush washer, plastic pistol grip (or grip screw), stock, etc. is legally the same as a complete firearm is the entire point. As is the use of "designed or intended" in determining guilt. It doesn't matter what you intend to do with it if it was designed to be a part of an "assault weapon."

The folks writing these laws are no longer stupid and are building them to do as much damage to the industry and to the individual gun owner as possible.

ETA, thank God for the Heller and Bruen decisions, and for groups like the FPC who are working to end this sort of overreach.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
Dont think there is any 50 cal action that fits in a 700 action foot print
Perhaps not .50 BMG, but the law doesn't specify "BMG."

Laws written by criminal politicians (all of them) mean nothing if it weren’t for men that enforce them for a paycheck and a pension. I hope you guys aren’t foolish enough to “back the blue” that serve, protect, and empower these tyrants. If you are then congratulations, this is all deserved.

A lot of you seem quick to criticize Brownells. Not related to this chassis sale but possibly why there is this issue to begin with is this information I found while looking at magazines:

"Illinois:

· No magazines over 15 rounds to Aurora, IL

· No magazines over 12 rounds to Chicago, IL

· No magazines over 16 rounds to Franklin Park, IL

· No magazines over 10 rounds to Oak Park, IL

· No magazines over 35 rounds to Riverdale, IL"

Depending on where in IL the OP lives, there may some local ordnance that is triggering the issue. Food for thought!

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
There is no local ordinance where i am preventing this and magazine size is not effecting a chassis sale....they are doing the same thing with barrel for bolt guns

....can't blame Brownell's for following the new/recent laws that have been passed that affect their ability to remain in business. If you feel the need to blame, then blame the politicians that supported passage then go further back and blame the voters that elected those politicians, but the "blame game" doesn't get you any changes. Not happy with the situation?, then use that same "system" that is denying you to overturn what has been rendered. That's the beauty of our "system", it works both ways....

I grew up in Brownell's "backyard" and loved 'em. But agree they are off the deep end on this, no matter how bad the "crap" laws are written here in WA. Nor have they replied to my email inquiry on this.
A MDT LSS-XL GEN 2 FS CHASSIS for a Rem 700 is NOT part of an assault weapon! Seems Slide Show Bob's destroy the FFL industry bill (SENATE BILL 5078) is having the desired impact.

Question, do all the restricted chassis utilize AR pistol grips?
Do all the restricted barrels have threaded muzzles?

Definitely don't cross over the border to buy these non-federally restricted parts though. That would be against the rules and frowned upon.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
They would not sell me a Magpul stock for a 10/22 nor the Midwest industries handguard for a 1894 Marlin 44 magnum. Sent emails on both occasions and never was given an explanation. So I bought the stock from Midway USA the same day. My inclination has been to shop elsewhere.

Have you actually called them and asked if you can purchase it and maybe pointed out these discrepancies and they said no or are you assuming they won’t because it won’t let you check out online?

It very well could just be their system and not them somehow trying to oppress you somehow… just saying.

Have you actually called them and asked if you can purchase it and maybe pointed out these discrepancies and they said no or are you assuming they won’t because it won’t let you check out online?

It very well could just be their system and not them somehow trying to oppress you somehow… just saying.
Read further down the thread.