• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning A Bolt 300 win mag

VDVSNIPER

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
Out West
Just the other day my father gave me his Browning A Bolt in the 300 win mag. We where shooting the other day at a range for the first time in years together and he was getting bad groups with the Browning so I gave it a try and mine were all hitting the mark, he said it must have been the big recoil that he couldn't shoot so good so he gave it to me.

The Browning must have no more the 100 rounds through it, and has been in his safe for over 8 years. So today I took it apart to clean it out and see what I can do with this gun. The scope that is on it right now is a Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 (this is the first thing I am going to take off and replace with a better one) My question is what will be the next steep in making this a more accurate gun then it is now? I looked around the forum and could not find any Brownings A Bolt's that have been used for long range, seems like a not popular gun, but I really like it, looks well made. The barrel is free floating so I guess we are heading off to the right start. Any inputs will be great, Thanks.

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Re: Browning A Bolt 300 win mag

Yeah I hunt with the same gun except mine has the BOSS system on it and a 4.5 x 14 Leupold...I get a little better than 1" groups with Hornady 165 Interbonds out of mine...the BOSS system helps a good deal on recoil but HAMMERS your hears if not protected!

I have an A-Bolt myself and it shoots very well. There just isn't much of an after market for them. I would say just shoot it and get to know it before you change anything. Mine will eventually get re-barrled and bedded, but that's about it.

Mine also has a BOSS, and I honestly hate it.

I have one in .270,mine is a european A bolt which has a more of a round type action. I intend doing something really interesting with my one, I just havent decided yet but it definitely will involve a rebarrel to a different calibre and a different stock. Ill post some pics when I get around to it and Im also open to ideas.

McMillan inlets for them....that would be my first improvement....will help with recoil...just a correctly designed stock will do wonders as it puts the recoil where it is supposed to go....this guy is a member here too....had a video of hits on steel at 1502 yards with that rifle.

http://www.jonaadland.com/Hunting/A-Bolt/A-Bolt/A-Bolt.html

IMO the A-bolt is as god as any non-M700 make to build on....

Im going to try out some different types off ammo and see what it does at 200 yards. When we where at the range my father only toke some federal 180gr soft tips and I was getting inside a 3"x3" square all 40 shots. Im sure if I use some hollow points or other kind of bullets it will tighten up some, and a more better scope because at 200 yards a 9x is very hard to see the 2" square.

Timney makes replacement trigger springs that will improve the feel and lighten up more than factory. I really liked how mine felt after the swap. It is very easy to do as well and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">doesn't</span> shouldn't require a smith.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#timney%20browning____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

I would also suggest a better stock.

Your rifle is a great hunting rifle and a good long range shooter just as it is.

To tune it up a little, I would just steel bed that rifle action. That is an important step but that's all I would try to do to it. That step will give most of the accuracy that the rifle is capable of, and it will be a great hunting rig.

The vx-11 is also a decent hunting scope, and 9x is plenty of magnification at 200 yards...hell...2x is enough mag at 200 yards. I would keep that scope...they are popular with experienced hunters. A 3-9 in general is a popular choice for a hunting rig. There is no need for a larger scope on it that weighs more than the rifle itself. 3x is generally more than is needed for a big game rifle, but if you can't see a 2x2 square at 9x there must be some other problem.

Match ammo would be the next step to see what that rifle can do. Brownings often shoot well. Another consideration is loading your own ammo. The 300 WM is really more powerful than is necessary with full power loads most of the time, and for most purposes, but can be down-loaded to 308 or 30-06 levels with a BIG reduction in recoil and barrel wear, etc. for everyday use. For hunting use, if you are firing a box of rounds once a year then it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, that is a nice gift...with a little bedding I think that rifle is good to go.

TC

I'd just send that scope in for the M1 turret retrofit, change the bases to Talley Lightweight, bed it, and call it good.

My Dad has an older A-Bolt synthetic in .270 very similar to yours. His is very accurate with my handloads, 3 shot groups (I know!) in an inch square at 200. I was worried when he first purchased it as these are not famous for accuracy...very pleasantly surprised. +1 for Montana & Top Cat...bed it and shoot it.

AG in NC

I love the A-Bolt. Mostly because I am left handed and can fine alot of them.

also due to the 60 deg bolt lift and all that.

When I decide to do a magnum, it will be on a A-Bolt action.

John

Try some 190 or 200 grain loads, mine really like them, especially the 190 SMK. Lighten the trigger pull, the springs mentioned above are easy to do, I have done 2. Do not shoot the barrel hot, mine starts stringing shots. They are good hunting rifles but not tactical rifles.