• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Browning A-Bolt action...Why no love?

r_boyette

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Alabama
Have always wondered, what with the popularity of the A-Bolt in hunting rifle circles, why does a person never see these used in Target/Tactical builds? Are there some inherent problems with the action that ,make custom builds a headache? A high school friend of mine came home for Xmas with an ABolt Micro-Medallion that he'd recently had a smith install a Douglass barrel and re-chamber from .308win to .338 Federal. Ive owned several Abolt's over the years(all in sporter configurations) and shot one Eclipse and all have proved to MOA or less(sometimes quite a bit) with factory hunting ammo. But for such a popular hunting rifle i see very few aftermarket parts.

Im a big fan of Big Green, but have to admit, for a fast handling, accurate hunting rifle a Micro Hunter/Medallion are hard to beat. So what is the main reasons for the lack of Browning actions in custom rifle builds? Is the action weal in some way?
confused.gif

Re: Browning A-Bolt action...Why no love?

I'm interested to hear the responses too. Is it just because there is a lack of aftermarket parts for Browning?

I had a 7mm A Bolt Medallion with the BOSS and it was fantastic. I could "tune" that barrel to match the cartridge I wanted to use.

I'd surmise Browning doesn't care about the tactical market all that much, it's a very small market and they know the money is to be made in hunting rifles.

I have a browning abolt composite stalker that im about to get rebarreled and I have had a hard time finding a gunsmith that would even do it. I cant figure out the problem either Big Russ

The biggest problem is the lack of support from the aftermarket industry in making parts/accessories/etc. Also, as you are finding, not many smiths work on the A-Bolt platform. Also, the industry has literally decades of experience and primary reliance on the Remington 700 actions, and now/recent years, many folks are going to custom actions like Stiller, Surgeon, Lawton, etc., etc.

As for someone to work on your A-Bolt for a rebarreling job, call and talk to someone at Douglas Barrels in Charleston, WV. Tim or one of the guys should be able to help you out with both a new barrel and the rebarreling work.

I think it's been hit on pretty well. First the A-bolt while a great gun was pretty hit and miss with accuracy. I do like the platform though. My father bought me a stalker 20+ years ago in 30-06' been the only deer rifle I've ever needed since. Mine was a great shooter after bedding it, however I know a lot of guys that have ones that didn't shoot that well. They also got a bad reputation with the BOSS system from people who were not willing to put the time or ammo into getting it set up right.

Love the 60 degree bolt lift, like the tang safety, the mag system I could take or leave, but it's better than the new plastic crap they have on the X bolt. Trigger isn't great, but with the spring kits and some polishing they do just fine. I think a couple companies do full adjustable replacement triggers for them now as well.

I'm considering having mine rebarreled as well, and put into a better stock, so you'll have to let us know who you find and how it turns out.

Pete has a good reputation, mainly in the benchrest crowd, but his site shows he also works on Browning A-Bolts. He helped me out a few years ago getting a clip rail to fit my clipslot remmy, nice guy. Like ToddM I've have a 30-06 Stalker for ~20 years and am considering a re-barrel from Pete this spring myself.

http://www.precisionbarrelwork.com/index.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the 60 degree bolt lift, like the tang safety, the mag system I could take or leave, but it's better than the new plastic crap they have on the X bolt.</div></div>

+1000 ... the new xbolts are shit compared to the old abolts... I have also been hunting with a 25-06 abolt composite stalker for 17 years... still shoots great... great little gun.... I was also thinking about getting a better stock for it and also get some trigger work done... McMillan has a few choices that look pretty appealing.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-hunting-stock-list.php?subnav=branch2a

I've also got an A-bolt stainless stalker in 25-06. I've had it for 12 years now. I can tell you this and it's the no shit truth. While my A-bolt is "broken in" and my new Rem. SPS in .308 only has maybe 30 rds down the tube, my A-Bolt will run circles around the SPS out to 200yds. I may have a "freak" A-bolt but it will shoot one ragged hole groups at 100yds.and dime size at 200yds. with Federal/Barnes 100gr. loads. The best I've done (which was sat.) with the Rem is about a quarter size group at 100yds. I can't lie though, I shot that with junk ass 13 dollar a box Wal-Mart ammo just to get on paper.

Good thread..I'm thinking about doing a build on an A-bolt action.

I have a SS 7mm Mag Stalker that will do moa or just under with factory Remington 140 Core Lokts. Lightweight and the action is smooth as butter. I'm debating on switching out the leupold on it to something that I can use to stretch it's legs with some handloads.

I have a Varmint Stalker in 223wssm also but I haven't had much luck with so far but in all fairness I haven't put in a lot of time. Factory Win 55gr BT will shoot under moa for about 5rnds and then opens up. Run a boresnake through it and the groups shrink back for another 5rds or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tpiwb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also got an A-bolt stainless stalker in 25-06. I've had it for 12 years now. I can tell you this and it's the no shit truth. While my A-bolt is "broken in" and my new Rem. SPS in .308 only has maybe 30 rds down the tube, my A-Bolt will run circles around the SPS out to 200yds. I may have a "freak" A-bolt but it will shoot one ragged hole groups at 100yds.and dime size at 200yds. with Federal/Barnes 100gr. loads. The best I've done (which was sat.) with the Rem is about a quarter size group at 100yds. I can't lie though, I shot that with junk ass 13 dollar a box Wal-Mart ammo just to get on paper.

Good thread..I'm thinking about doing a build on an A-bolt action. </div></div>

This is why im curious as to why you dont see more. I have owned and shot several, and have yet to see one that wouldnt hold MOA or better(in most cases a good deal better). Guess there just wasnt room for another bolt action. Like i previously said, Im a fan of Big Green, but i like almost everything about the ABolt just a little better than a M700 for a hunting stick. As for the X-Bolt, well to me it feels and points like shit. Cant speak to the accuracy cause i couldnt make myself pay that much for a rifle that felt that bad. YMMV

Big Russ, I agree with your opinion on the X-Bolt. I was all about buying one..until I got my hands on it. It feels like a cheap gun and points/handles like shit. My A-bolt action is night and day compared to the action on my new SPS. I plan to fix that soon...the A-bolt did'nt need the action "fixed" is was smooth right out of the box.