• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Browning A5

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    Can you put a 16 gauge recoil spring in a 12 gauge, I have a shotgun that a buddy has inherited from his grandfather. He is rather small and when he is running bird loads it fails to eject. When I run it it runs like a an A5, I don’t know what else to do

Can you put a 16 gauge recoil spring in a 12 gauge, I have a shotgun that a buddy has inherited from his grandfather. He is rather small and when he is running bird loads it fails to eject. When I run it it runs like a an A5, I don’t know what else to do

No, the 12 gauge spring is for 12 gauge.
    The 16-20 gauge springs are a different spring.

Screenshot_20191117-061413_Drive.jpg

You can try changing the friction ring settings.

Screenshot_20191117-061253_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20191117-061159_Drive.jpg

What you describe, works for larger you, versus not working for light weight him, is he doesnt have enough body mass to make the gun function. Like limp wristing a 1911.

You could try getting him to change his shooting stance, lean into the gun hard, to produce more resistance to the recoil.

You could check, clean, and lubricate the mag tube to eliminate that potential issue, then try the different friction ring settings to see if you can find a "set" that works for him.

Since it works for you, it obviously is working as designed...

When we were younger, and wanted to reduce the kick, we would use the heavier load setting to slow the recoil impulse.

Testing for function, we set the rings, then put the buttstock against a solid object (wall, post, tree, large truck bumper, something), and if the gun would fire 5 in a row, ejecting properly but slower, we were good to go.

Using the lightest load settings, with heavier loads, will lead to battering and can split the fore-end.
    BUT, the lightest load setting with a heavier load "might" work for your featherweight friend.

Best to you, vr
    jw

Last edited:
    Reactions: pabrousseau
    Low base lead shot doesn’t eject well in semi auto shotguns

I've shot Browning Auto 5's for 45 years, and I have a much different response, mine eject just fine with low base lead shot.

My maintained and properly lubed Auto 5's eat anything I feed them, the way they were designed to.

Piece of shit Remington 1100's are feed and eject issue nightmares with some low brass loads. If a POS 1100 wont eject Winchester AA trap or skeet loads, well, it's a POS 1100.

My Winchester SX4 also eats anything I feed it, including the cheapest imported junk low brass lead shot you can buy at Walmart or Pricks Sporting Goods.

ymmv

Piece of shit Remington 1100's are feed and eject issue nightmares with some low brass loads. If a POS 1100 wont eject Winchester AA trap or skeet loads, well, it's a POS 1100.
    MMDV, as I've used 1100's for years upon years shooting trap, singles, doubles, then on to bunker an never had issues. Operator error or home smith'ing ability ? LOL

MMDV, as I've used 1100's for years upon years shooting trap, singles, doubles, then on to bunker an never had issues. Operator error or home smith'ing ability ? LOL

Neither operator error nor home smithing like you.
    Broken parts rimington replaced.... a few times, b4 we shitcanned the pos'...

Ours failed regularly with magnum buckshot and heavy duck loads. A whole community's worth and a 100 member sports club.

You need to shadow box your magic 1100 b4 it breaks.

YMAV, you probably also have the only 742 Woodsmaster that's never jammed too. ?

Last edited:
    YMAV, you probably also have the only 742 Woodsmaster that's never jammed too. ?
    How did you know? Then again mine was a carbine in 308, could that be the reason why?
    Only part I ever had brake in a 1100 was a firing pin, once after about 7 years of Trap shooting with it. Other then that it just ran, then again I always have lead a charmed life,...LOL

I didn’t figure it would work, I will try the friction ring thanks for the help. I have tried to get him to change his stance but he is like a lot of younger kids these days and thinks he knows how to do it ?‍♂️

Reactions: j-huskey
    I didn’t figure it would work, I will try the friction ring thanks for the help. I have tried to get him to change his stance but he is like a lot of younger kids these days and thinks he knows how to do it ?‍♂️
    Kids trust YouTube.
    Find a video that supports what you're trying to teach him, then share it.
    Problem solved.

Or, trade him an 870 for his A-5

Reactions: j-huskey
    If you have a friend with a lathe you could trim an EXTRA brass friction ring lengthwise to reduce the bearing surface and thus reduce the friction.