• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning BAR MK 2 Safari

FL410

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
During cleaning bolt went in to the the lock position outside the barrel. Unfortunately no matter what I do I cannot rotate the lock threads to the horizontal unlock position. Please see attached picture.
tempImage3MJLfp.jpg
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from the photo, but I think I would try to remove the cam pin (firing pin will need to be removed if you can get to the retaining pin) and separate the Bolt from the Bolt Sleeve and see what's going on thereafter. I authored a a technical Manual on the BAR types 1&2 so I might be able to help.

These photos will show the parts relationships to get started.

However before I undertook all theses steps, unless the parts were really forced into their predicament, you might try tapping the parts to see if they will liberate themselves from the bind, akin to a tight fitting pistol barrel getting jammed upon disassembly / reassembly a gentle tap overcomes close tolerances and allows the barrel to fall free.

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.34.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.34.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.34.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.34.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.34.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.38.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.42.09 PM.png

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I think I would try to remove the cam pin (firing pin will need to be removed if you can get to the retaining pin) and separate the Bolt from the Bolt Sleeve and see what's going on thereafter. I authored a a technical Manual on the BAR types 1&2 so I might be able to help.

These photos will show the parts relationships to get started.

However before I undertook all theses steps, unless the parts were really forced into their predicament, you might try tapping the parts to see if they will liberate themselves from the bind, akin to a tight fitting pistol barrel getting jammed upon disassembly / reassembly a gentle tap overcomes close tolerances and allows the barrel to fall free.

View attachment 8236246View attachment 8236247View attachment 8236248View attachment 8236249View attachment 8236250View attachment 8236251

View attachment 8236256
strickeeagle1 Thank you so vary much. The information you have given me is more than I could ever have hoped for. It answered all my questions. I am especially appreciative of all the time it took for you to put all this together for me and post it. I am now sure that I will be able to get it disassembled and reassembled correctly.
Thank you again for your kindness, time and assistance.
Mike

strickeeagle1 Thank you so vary much. The information you have given me is more than I could ever have hoped for. It answered all my questions. I am especially appreciative of all the time it took for you to put all this together for me and post it. I am now sure that I will be able to get it disassembled and reassembled correctly.
Thank you again for your kindness, time and assistance.
Mike
I agree with this statement. Above and beyond

Reactions: msgriff
FL410, Since strikeeagle1 has authored 2 manuals on the BAR, and if strikeeagle1 agrees, can we turn this thread into a Q & A, on the BAR?
I have some questions on the BAR also… 😁
Thanks

Reactions: msgriff
FL410, Since strikeeagle1 has authored 2 manuals on the BAR, and if strikeeagle1 agrees, can we turn this thread into a Q & A, on the BAR?
I have some questions on the BAR also… 😁
Thanks
It sounds like a great idea to me !