• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning BAR optics upgrayedd

smokey0118

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2011
BAR.jpg

0124011904a1.jpg

So, here's my BAR in 30-06. She was made back in '79. Don't worry, that carbon is all cleaned off now. My grandpa (commander Jack richardson) got it and then passed it on to my dad, who passed it on to me. The thing is capable of sub MOA groups, but that scope and mount on top have got to be updated.

It's sporting an old redfield tv scope with the range finding reticle(yup, with the two lines up top and the yardage scale down at the bottom). My problems are 1)The scope mount is so far forward that it's about impossible to get a comfortable cheekweld and 2) the scope has so little eye-relief that it's tagged everyone who's shot it at one time or another in the eyebrow.

I'm thinking of replacing the mount and scope with a dnz gamereaper to bring it back a bit...
http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?mai...d851f5ab96b6b73

and a nikon monarch 5-20x44 side focus
http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/monarch/5-20x44_Side_Focus_Nikoplex/8424

or something similar for about the $500 range of scopes and roughly 14-20 upper magnification range. Anyone use these or have any feedback/suggestions for other optics/mounts within a similar price range? Use for the rifle is primarily punching paper, but would like the ability to use it as a deer rifle every now and again too.

Re: Browning BAR optics upgrayedd

I used a Monarch 4-12 on my 30-06 BAR last season and I'm going with a little more power this year. Not that I get many long shots, but trying to sort out trophy deer with a low power scope is pretty rough. Sometime you don't have time for binoculars in this part of the country. I think a Nikon Monarch is as good a hunting scope as you will find for what you want to spend ($500). I've got a gamereaper mount on my Encore and it is fine...