• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Browning low wall

swordfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2009
Daphne , AL
I always liked the Browing low wall and just thinking about getting one . What should I expect in accuracy ?
Hoping to get 1" moa and I know its not a bolt action

Re: Browning low wall

It's all in the barrel, headspace, and bedding, if any.
50-75 years ago LOTS of High Wakls, Low Walls, Stevens 44 1/2, Borchardts, Ballards, etc were rebarreled to "modern" wildcats and gave great accuracy.

Saw one at a gun smith in 22 hornet getting a old unertil mounted. It looked awesome would love to spend a summer afternoon looking for groundhogs with it.

Be prepared to be disappointed with the old stuff compared with the new rifles and barrels. Our barrels, machining and bullets are light years ahead of 50 years ago...not to mention 100 years ago. Just lower your standards and you'll be happy.

I have a Browning high wall in 25-06. 85 Ballistic tips are around a half inch, and 117 SST's are under an inch for hunting. I have done very little load development for it so it may do better. I passed up a low wall in 260 years back and have regretted it to this day. The high wall is one of my favorite rifles.

My 243 I had put the first 2 shots into 1/2" at 200 yds, all 3 in 1" - on the last range trip prior to my son popping his first 2 deer, 250-275 paces, and 300+ respectively. BTW, that was using a 6x Leupold/duplex....

85 BTHP, Fed Brass, IMR4350.

Miroku knows how to build quality
wink.gif

I have one of the original B-78s with an octagon barrel in .22-250. I've had the gun for over 30 years and it's been a half inch gun with handloads.