• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed Long Range McMillan

lonesomesniper

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2019
Has anyone bought the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed Long Range McMillan rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor? I am considering this rifle along with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 for my new deer gun this season. Anyone have any insight on the gun? Looks really nice from what I've seen of it. Just looking for anyone with any type of firsthand experience/ knowledge with the gun.

My father bought one in 6mm creedmoor. It is a nice rifle. The action has a short bolt throw and has a button on the bolt that allows it to be cycled while on safe. We put a scope on it, sighted it in and then shot it to get or come ups out 750 yards. He was supposed to use it as a hunter this last year but never did. So far it has only been take out a few times to bang steel.

I wish they made it in lefty....
They do (or did). My father in law has one in left hand. He waited a year for it on special order. He may be one of very few to own a lefty.

They shoot extremely well. Factory 143 ELD-X ammo is easily sub MOA out of it. The trigger is crisp, and the action is very nice.

I would however look for less magnification for a deer rifle. Something in the 4-16x range would be better. That rifle also deserves better glass than a Diamondback. Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x would be my pick.

They do (or did). My father in law has one in left hand. He waited a year for it on special order. He may be one of very few to own a lefty.

They shoot extremely well. Factory 143 ELD-X ammo is easily sub MOA out of it. The trigger is crisp, and the action is very nice.

I would however look for less magnification for a deer rifle. Something in the 4-16x range would be better. That rifle also deserves better glass than a Diamondback. Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x would be my pick.

I think I will go with the Vortex Viper HST as it will also be a range gun and not just a dedicated hunting gun.

So you're going to put a $500 scope on a $1800 rifle?

A Nightforce SHV isn't just a hunting scope, it'll do well in multiple roles.

Well the HST is a $800 scope, and I've never had a bad experience with vortex, they make good quality scopes and have an amazing warranty. if I didn't also currently have a custom rifle build in the works than I would probably go with a night force scope for this gun as well, but priorities.. Especially since I am planning on buying the ATACR 7-35x56 which is going to break the bank enough as it is on my custom rifle build. I think the HST will do plenty good to put a few deer in the freezer even if its just for this year until I upgrade.

Just over $600 at the most, and even that is too expensive for that scope.

I like Vortex optics as well, I own 2 of them.

Well you certainly found a better deal on it than I did. I was just looking at the MSRP off of the vortex website.

Well the HST is a $800 scope, and I've never had a bad experience with vortex, they make good quality scopes and have an amazing warranty. if I didn't also currently have a custom rifle build in the works than I would probably go with a night force scope for this gun as well, but priorities.. Especially since I am planning on buying the ATACR 7-35x56 which is going to break the bank enough as it is on my custom rifle build. I think the HST will do plenty good to put a few deer in the freezer even if its just for this year until I upgrade.
You can pick up solid NF shv deals on eBay all the time. Worth looking into.

The HST is a 350 dollar value scope these days though places will still try to charge you well more than that. I wouldnt pay more than 400 for one.

I got a 4-16x HST “open box display” (it was new) from Cameraland for $400 shipped a few years ago, so you might check with Doug first. That being said, I’ll echo the other’s thoughts and would try to step up to better glass b/c that’s a really nice rifle you’ll be getting.

They used to. I've been searching for one daily to pop up.

I called Browning direct and they said that they MAY expand their line of lefty guns in the future but until then its a no go, even from the custom shop.

I have several x bolts that are shooters I just need 4 of those stocks

Reactions: fanninland
I just bought the same stock that Browning uses (Game Scout) from McMillan for $500. They had 4 long action left hand X-bolt stocks in inventory. Since I can't seem to buy one, I am going to make one. I have the rifle, stock and scope already. I am now trying to decide what barrel I am going to use. I am leaning towards a Bartlien fluted #3b or a Hell's Canyon Armory Ultralight Summit in .270 Win.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would love to hear what you all have to say.

I’m ignorant when it comes to Browning’s.

I have read they are quality rifles, but I thought gunsmiths didn’t like to work on them.

Barrels hard to replace?

I don’t know. Thanks

Can't say which barrel, but it's a good choice with the browning and McMillan stock. My dad did the same with an x bolt and game scout. Bullets all fall in the same hole

I think I will go with the Vortex Viper HST as it will also be a range gun and not just a dedicated hunting gun.

Worst mistake in scope choice ever..

I have one laying under my bench. I took it off a .22 and replaced it with a tango 4.

5 mil turrets suck, no zero stop sucks, turrets spin so easy any little rub from a jacket spins them off. Glass quality isn't great.

The HST was a bunch of compromise 5 years ago. It's not even relevant today with the other options in the market.

Reactions: lennyo3034
I’m ignorant when it comes to Browning’s.

I have read they are quality rifles, but I thought gunsmiths didn’t like to work on them.

Barrels hard to replace?

I don’t know. Thanks
I've owned and shot Browning weapons for 58 years. I must be the same size person that John Browning was because they "fit" me. Browning does not install a barrel to be removed / replaced. A less experienced gunsmith runs the risk of pulling the threads out of the receiver when changing a barrel. In my past I have traded Brownings off , for what I wanted, to avoid removing the barrel.

This should be a nice weapon, regardless of the glass.

Hobo

Reactions: 10ring1
If you want to stick with vortex ditch the hst and get on eurooptic.com. They have vortex strike eagle on sale for 300, and in my opinion is better than the hst esp in a hunting situation where taller turrets of the hst can more easily be accidentally knocked off zero. Also if you were planning to spend 800 on an hst they have pst gii for <800.00 and is a much better optic than the hst

I had that exact rifle and loved it. It shot really well with every ammo I tried. The magazine had plenty of length to load long, heavy bullets. Mine had a 1-7" twist, which is pretty fast for a 6.5 Creedmoor, and should be great for heavies. The rifle balanced very well. The trigger sucked, and I replaced it with a Timney, but other than that, I would not hesitate to purchase another. It's a great factory hunting rifle.

One of the first mods I made to mine was replacing the factory trigger with a Timney. I was surprised at how much better the Timney was.

I sure wish Trigger Tech would jump on board and make a X-bolt trigger. That would be awesome!!

I agree with the Optika6 scope choice. One heck of an optic for a great price. There's a reason Meopta's Optika6 line of riflescopes is selling like crazy. Great features with the all-important excellent glass that Meopta is known for. The 3-18x50 is a great choice for the deer hunter who also wants to do some long-range shooting. Illuminated reticle to help on those cloudy days or pivotal dawn and dusk times for game movement. The 50mm obj is huge for light gathering and the 56mm obj I am using on an AR hunting rifle is more impressive for light transmission.

IMG_3634.jpeg

I had that exact rifle and loved it. It shot really well with every ammo I tried. The magazine had plenty of length to load long, heavy bullets. Mine had a 1-7" twist, which is pretty fast for a 6.5 Creedmoor, and should be great for heavies. The rifle balanced very well. The trigger sucked, and I replaced it with a Timney, but other than that, I would not hesitate to purchase another. It's a great factory hunting rifle.
How was the timney install w Mcmillan?

One of the first mods I made to mine was replacing the factory trigger with a Timney. I was surprised at how much better the Timney was.

I sure wish Trigger Tech would jump on board and make a X-bolt trigger. That would be awesome!!
How was the timney instal

Bob Green is well versed in gunsmithing Browning’s.

All in all they’re a well made rifle. I think their lack of popularity is in replacing the barrels. They’re a bear to get off, and at least some of them (not sure on all of them) have a extractor cut and bolt face relief cut on the breech face. More cuts equal more time and expense when replacing.

If I can find my spare barrel, I’ll post a pic (it’s buried in the safe somewhere).

Bob Green is well versed in gunsmithing Browning’s.

All in all they’re a well made rifle. I think their lack of popularity is in replacing the barrels. They’re a bear to get off, and at least some of them (not sure on all of them) have a extractor cut and bolt face relief cut on the breech face. More cuts equal more time and expense when replacing.

If I can find my spare barrel, I’ll post a pic (it’s buried in the safe somewhere).
This is why I will not be buying any more Brownings. Crazy to spend that much if you ever plan on shooting out the barrel.

Has anyone bought the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed Long Range McMillan rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor? I am considering this rifle along with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24X50 for my new deer gun this season. Anyone have any insight on the gun? Looks really nice from what I've seen of it. Just looking for anyone with any type of firsthand experience/ knowledge with the gun.

Got one about a year ago and definitely get what you pay for. Put close to 1000 rounds down range. Running Hornady factory 147gr ELD-Match and hitting sub moa out to 600 so far, haven't taken it further yet (1/4" at 100yd). Also put a vortex viper pst gen2 5-25x50 on her with a Vortex bubble level. If you're looking for a precision rifle with some finer details to it, this is it.

Hornady Gunner 140gr BTHP is also the best, cheapest round i've found for the rifle (1/2 - 3/4" @100yds) to fine tune and tweek or plink. Gets spotty at 600yds. The ELD-Match 147 Hornady, best for long-range precision for factory loads past 600yds.

Reactions: Capt LeBlanc