• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Brux barrel

EMCA

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2020
Hi guys.
I want to put a 30-32" barrel on my Bergara hmr.
My gunsmith can get Brux barrel 4 groove fast.
I like to shoot hornady eldm 225 gr and A-tip 230 gr.
As you well know, they are very soft bullets.
I think that with this barrel length it could exceed 3000 fps.
Do you think I could have problems with the bullets exploding in this type of 4 groove barrel?
Thank you

Brux is a top tier, cut rifle , hand lapped premium barrel. If your bullets blow up it’s not going to be from a Brux barrel.

I don’t know what caliber you’re shooting, but 3000fps with a heavy 30 cal is pushing it even for a stout 300WM or a PRC. I’m sure guys do it, even never came close at 27”.

Agree with what's said. I don't think the brux will give you a problem. In my experience bullets blowing up is related to RPM. My 5r 1-7 223 barrel explodes 55 grain vmax. My 1-8 4 groove barrel does not.

Reactions: matt33
I would have no issues using a Brux barrel. I have looked at them in the past but they never had instock what I was looking for.
What twist is the barrel?? MY 300nm is a 30in 1-8 twist Bartlein in my AI-AXMC

Brux barrels are GTG. It's the twist rate, MV, and temperature (ambient & chamber) that will be your determining factor. Hornady bullets don't like anything over 280K RPM, especially on 90 degree days. Pick the correct twist rate for the bullet you are choosing, the speed you expect to be at, and environment (altitude and avg temp).

I run a 32” Brux 1:9 in my 300NMI and it shoots fantastic. I did a custom contour, 1.25” for 5” then straight taper to 1” at 32”. You won’t be disappointed. I run the 230 Atips and the 245 LRHTs.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
thanks guys.
I want 1:9 twist.
I expect a speed of 3000-3050 fps accurately.
From this information, you can calculate bullet rotational speed. If you know a certain bullet is only rated for x rpm, I would not run it at or above that rpm. What rpm are those Hornady bullets you want to shoot rated?

I've been reading and it seems that you have to keep them below 300,000 rpm.
Doing the math, even at a speed of 3100 fps, I will be below 300,000 rpm.