• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bryan and Emil Berger No BS BC Episodes Part 2

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    What's the story with Lapua bullets? They (Lapua) seem to be standing still, I've always been a fan of Lapua bullets, but they seem to be getting left behind ( I think the secnar-L's were released in 2013...). Berger, Hornady, and Sierra have been very active in releasing more consistent and aerodynamically efficient bullets over the past 3-4 years. Did the Nammo Group's acquisition of Berger make Lapua's line of bullets redundant from a business perspective? I never hear Bryan talk about Lapua bullets, does Bryan/Berger share R&D with Lapua? Will we see new bullets from Lapua to compete with all the new product offerings released over the past 3-4 years, or is Nammo leaving that solely to the Berger brand? I understand that these types of questions might not be answered publicly, but it's been a curiosity of mine the past couple of years, so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Wish Lapua would do 6x47 brass. I'm going to try out the Peterson stuff this week.

Reactions: hic28
    Bryan mentioned in Part 2 that smaller calibers have a harder time getting consistent SDs from handloads. Can Bryan expand on why this is? I suspect it has to do with small variations in powder charges have a greater effect on smaller weight bullets (vs heavier bullets) but I'm curious as to why this is. It's great to hear from both Emil and Bryan!

Bryan mentioned in Part 2 that smaller calibers have a harder time getting consistent SDs from handloads. Can Bryan expand on why this is? I suspect it has to do with small variations in powder charges have a greater effect on smaller weight bullets (vs heavier bullets) but I'm curious as to why this is. It's great to hear from both Emil and Bryan!

It's not just powder variance being a greater percentage, but everything else as well. Jacket uniformity, lead core density (variations in voids), case capacity, flash hole uniformity, etc. The smaller you go, the more it matters. Look at some of the sub caliber guys (below .224"), and the issues they contend with. Small changes have a more dramatic effect on observable performance.

It's not just powder variance being a greater percentage, but everything else as well. Jacket uniformity, lead core density (variations in voids), case capacity, flash hole uniformity, etc. The smaller you go, the more it matters. Look at some of the sub caliber guys (below .224"), and the issues they contend with. Small changes have a more dramatic effect on observable performance.
    Thanks for the reply. That does make a lot of sense!

Thanks for the reply. That does make a lot of sense!

Just to add; Walt Berger was a big supporter of those us playing with 17 and 20 caliber cases long before they became main stream. It makes sense that Bryan and Emil were VERY familiar with the challenges of going to smaller cartridges. Before Hornady, Berger was the only options for 5mm/.20 cal bullets. They were also one of the few that made 17 cal bullets after Remington stopped making their one 25gr 17 cal bullet.

Suffice it to say, they have a lot of history understanding what happens as you go down in size, but make bullets longer and longer for caliber.

Reactions: stevenlgts
    these would sell fast as fuck. I’d buy 1k right now

FYI, Peterson is making 6x47L brass. I bought 50 for testing. Capacity is damn near identical. I used the same load as my Lapua brass and got L: 2967 SD-4.4 and P: 2961 SD-4.0

Accuracy was excellent with the Peterson out of the box. I did run them all through my neck die first to set tension same as my Lapua brass but no other prep. Load and go.

Hell of a lot easier than necking down and firing all of it once before you get the accuracy out of it.

I'm going to reload a single case like 9x more and see how the pockets are doing at firing number ten but if they hold up I'll be switching. Less hassle and American made.

Reactions: Steel head