• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BSA Scope on AR's

CVA12

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2011
Glendale AZ
Got a Colt match competition H Bar in 223 with a BSA 6-24x40 IR on it. Has any body had any luck with kind of set up, or is the BSA junk? Like to shoot High Power with it

Re: BSA Scope on AR's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipe62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...is the BSA junk?</div></div>

Yes.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipe62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...is the BSA junk?</div></div>

Yes.

1911fan </div></div>
<span style="font-size: 11pt">YES</span><span style="font-size: 14pt">YES</span><span style="font-size: 17pt">YES</span>
and so is Barska, NCstar and please don't ask about dark ops counter sniper products.

I agree, they are junk. You get what you pay for. Just my two cents.

If you have a limited budget, try a fixed power platinum BSA scope. They will work until you get a better scope. I do not consider them to be permanent scopes.

I bought one for my .22 LR in 36x power so I could see the holes. When I bought my RR LAR 8 I threw the scope on there just to test it. It's working fine so far. I will probably get a Nightforce or Leupold for that weapon.

Here's a video of my setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLX6wEgSk_g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgewater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fail, save your money and shoot irons until money allows for a quality optic </div></div>

+1 BSA is money down the drain other than for rimfire maybe.

BSA!!! POS is what they should be called!!!

i just GAVE 1 away to a kid in my local club to mount on his 10/22, just because he didnt have a scope at all. im hoping that he will learn how to use it and decide to get a better one.

i actually felt bad after he left with his dad, i dont like to even give away crap...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgewater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fail, save your money and shoot irons until money allows for a quality optic </div></div>

+1 BSA is money down the drain other than for rimfire maybe. </div></div>
+2 save your money for a quality scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipe62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank's for the heads up, someone could use it on a 22 rim fire?? </div></div>

Not recommended. That's what mine failed on, a 10/22. Probably due to recoil. I sent it in and they mailed me a new one, which lasted nearly 100 rounds on a suppressed .17HMR.

BSA = Been Screwed Again.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipe62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank's for the heads up, someone could use it on a 22 rim fire?? </div></div>

Not recommended. That's what mine failed on, a 10/22. Probably due to recoil. I sent it in and they mailed me a new one, which lasted nearly 100 rounds on a suppressed .17HMR.

BSA = Been Screwed Again.

1911fan </div></div>
Come on you didn't put it on your AR-15 and run a comparable test with another AR all while sporting a great scope like BSA for the video? I know you love them 1911fan you just don't know it yet
wink.gif

Good grief I cant believe a scope that big could fail on a 10-22, what is China comming to??

This is one case where size doesn't matter. A BSA is a failure on anything.
This is not just from what I read on the internet. I have seen them fail a few times on other folks stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know you love them 1911fan you just don't know it yet
wink.gif
</div></div>

Might be a while before I figure it out, too.

1911fan

If you need something just to get you by on a .22 rimfire, try something like a lower end bushnell, a leupold rifleman series, or one of Cabela's budget scopes. Also look into things like Hawke, low-end vortex, sightmark, etc.

BTW- SWFA has a nikon prostaff 3-9 on clearance for $99, would be great for a .22 rimfire or other small cal rifles.

For the AR you might want something a bit better, but things like that cheap Nikon would probably "suffice". I personally have run these on ARs and been fine:
Nikon (buckmaster series)
Burris (fullfield series)
Vortex (viper series)
Falcon (menace series)

There are others as well, just buy from a reputable company... and through a reputable dealer (like one of our hide vendors) who will back you up if you have problems.

LOL You guys are funny. What do you do with your rifles to get your scopes to fail on a .22LR? Are you shooting your gun or using it for a club.

I have a 36X fixed power BSA (don't use variable power) that I purchased for a .22LR and have temporarily mounted on a RR .308 - I have fired over 400 rounds and nothing has failed. I think a .308 might have a little more recoil than a .22LR

I will be getting a Leupold or Nightforce for the RR rifle. But for now the BSA is working out fine. Has not failed, tracks, and I shot a couple 1/4 inch groups with it. Shot it out to 300 yards and got sub minute. Until I get the scope I want, I will use the BSA (until it fails?).

By the way, I only paid $59 for the scope with free shipping. Duh, it works!!! I am not a fan of BSA. I also believe that any cheap variable power scope,including BSA, is subject to failure and I will not buy one.

I believe Carlos Hathcock only used a 10X fixed and made record distance shots (kills).

If a person is on a budget, I think a fixed power could be an option including a BSA (platinum).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL You guys are funny. What do you do with your rifles to get your scopes to fail on a .22LR?</div></div>

Just shooting it.

1911fan

My brother-in-law just put a BSA sweet. 223 with BDC turrets on his Remington. He said the turrets don't match at all. Sets it for 200 and its shoots to high.

I bought a used SASS off a friend with a BSA on it. I remounted it, and it is working fine right now. It is definitely temporary. I have a couple hundred rounds on it, and it has held zero. I have not had to adjust it since zeroing, and I probably won't touch it until my new glass comes in.

I think he paid $200 for it at Bass Pro Shop. It is about 100 cheaper online. Contender 3-12X40.

Now if I could make up my mind on what to replace it with.

As I am sure you have noticed BSA is not held in high regard. That being said you have a couple of options. Someone above mentioned shooting iron sights. This is very good practice and brings us back to basics. Brushing up on basics is never a bad thing. If you are set on getting new glass and on a budget your options narrow. When it comes to optics you really do get what you pay for. On AR's I have tried SWFA's Super Sniper and a Weaver (I forget the exact model). Both these scopes functioned well. They were not the clearest or brightest but they did well enough. I hope this helps, good luck.

There is a wealth of help on this site,I have been shooting & loading for 40 years just like Dad said you never stop learning. Thank's for the info..