• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing BTHP vs. Ballistic Tips for hunting....

mgd45

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2008
Ga.
I know this topic has been debated several times & some people believe that a match grade bullet should be used for long range hunting because it's more accurate. Other's...(me included) believe these BTHP aren't the best rounds to be shooting at animals and a ballistic tipped bullet should be utilized to ensure expansion and a better chance at a kill.

I shot both bullets (168 grain BTHP & AMAX) at 1000 yards this evening & was able to recover the bullets from the dirt berm about 8 feet behind my target stand. This dirt berm is very hard packed solid dirt that takes a freaking pick-axe to dig into !!
smile.gif

1000 yard comparison....BTHP vs. AMAX
1000ydbullets2.jpg

Notice the lack of deformation of the BTHP vs. the AMAX.....You can still see the red tip on the AMAX.
1000ydbullets.jpg

That dirt berm was a heck of a lot harder than a soft skin & organs of an animal.....maybe it's not conclusive proof, but I think it shows a good comparison between the 2 bullets at such a long distance....

Opinions....?

Re: BTHP vs. Ballistic Tips for hunting....

At 1000 yds, those bullets aren't going fast enough to tell if they'll open reliably, neither of those two pics looks like great or desireable expansion for killing game, now if you shot the same two bullets at 6 or 700 yds or less, you would find that both will perform much better.

I would shoot either one. Like it has been said a thousand times before "Holes kill shit" period.

Yeah, the AMAX didn't mushroom like I hoped it would....but it at least folded over more creating a wider object going through the body....hopefully....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 1000 yds, those bullets aren't going fast enough to tell if they'll open reliably, neither of those two pics looks like great or desireable expansion for killing game, now if you shot the same two bullets at 6 or 700 yds or less, you would find that both will perform much better. </div></div>

I'll try this experiment again at those distances and post the results.....
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 1000 yds, those bullets aren't going fast enough to tell if they'll open reliably, neither of those two pics looks like great or desireable expansion for killing game, now if you shot the same two bullets at 6 or 700 yds or less, you would find that both will perform much better. </div></div>

I'll try this experiment again at those distances and post the results.....
cool.gif
</div></div>

Try it on meat, that'll show whether or not they'll work.

I'll try shooting them on a thawed out turkey......I'm sure my wife would love the explanation on that one.....LOL!

How about a milk jug water test at 1000, that would garner a lot more info than the dirt.I would love to see the results. I just worked up loads and dopes on 150 GMX and 165 Interbond for hunting a distance.

That's probably cheaper than using a turkey huh......ha..ha..

Yeah, but how many milk jugs do you plan on hunting? I'm sure you'll kill every milk jug you hit. I've tried 5 gallon bucket filled with wet newspaper, it works great.

Back in the days of my .30-06 deer hunting, I quit the 150gr. Nosler Partition (Ballistic Tip) when using Max. Loads, (don't remember the combo now,something with 4895, I would imagine)I neck shot a huge buck, in the neck @ 30yds. and had the bullet literally disintegrate. I DID recover the deer, after he got out of his bed and ran 25 yds., but my confidence in that particular bullet was gone. I immediately switched to Barnes TSX's for hunting. I have since used some GK's and VLD's, but as for the ballistic tips, no thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would shoot either one. Like it has been said a thousand times before "Holes kill shit" period.</div></div>

laugh.gif

Holes in the right place will kill shit weither it's BTHP , Ballistic Tip or fricking BB ..............just saying .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back in the days of my .30-06 deer hunting, I quit the 150gr. Nosler Partition (Ballistic Tip) when using Max. Loads, (don't remember the combo now,something with 4895, I would imagine)I neck shot a huge buck, in the neck @ 30yds. and had the bullet literally disintegrate. I DID recover the deer, after he got out of his bed and ran 25 yds., but my confidence in that particular bullet was gone. I immediately switched to Barnes TSX's for hunting. I have since used some GK's and VLD's, but as for the ballistic tips, no thank you. </div></div>

Not trying to start a fight here but your statement shows a lack of knowledge about the construction of that particular bullet. The Nosler ballistic tip bullets have thin jackets and thus have a tendency to blow up when impacting targets at high velocities. This type of expansion is no less effective then the traditional mushrooming effect. Berger has proven it as it is the principal that their bullets work on.

You are right about that. At the time, I knew little of bullet construction, as that was many years ago. I prefer the Barnes TSX ever since, though as stated I have used other bullets with success(deer still dead)...No offence taken.