• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Bubble Level Importance in PRS

IPoutdoors

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2020
with a properly fitted stock/chassis and leveled scope, how important is a bubble level to you in positional type shooting?

It's the single most important piece of gear on the rifle. I wouldn't even bother buying a scope till I had a level.

Get one of those electronic color coded ones that light up, that way you can tell when your rifle is canted even if you're half fuckin retarded and partially blind.

If you think anybodys looking at a level on positional shots that probably applies to you. Hopefully not.

• Haha
Reactions: Carole Baskins
Totally up to you.

Ideal world if you use a level:

You set the rifle properly for yourself. However that may be.

You use the level in training to verify your rifle is setup properly. If you find yourself always out of level, fix your fundamentals or your rifle set up.

Train yourself to see and feel level while on the rifle and seeing crosshairs. This leads to less time wasted being out of level on clock.

Only use the level on the clock to take a quick glance and verify your position (which should be level after all the practice) is level, or when in very compromised positions get the rifle level.

In short, you should be training and learning much more with the level than using it on the clock. It should be more of a training too and verification device than a must use while on the clock tool. If you’re doing much more than verifying on the clock, you have work to do.

This is getting to be such a common argument, I think the barrel break story is the answer. Just tell people they must have a level and let them figure it out. Rather than argue every time.

I have one. I use it for training. I also use it for verification on positional shots when I can't get straight behind the gun or the prop isn't perfectly stable.

Is it needed? Not if you set your rifle up correctly and train to see level.

I look at it like a flashlight on my fire helmet. Train to not need it or rely on it, but it is nice to have.

Reactions: RichMangus
I’m new to the game but I actually found it quite useful. I don’t have an add on level but I have a spuhr mount and they come with a built in level and it actually comes in pretty handy. A little can’t inside of 300 isn’t terrible but when you start walking it out it can mess up you shot a bit. I’ve also found it helps with the consistency of my shot. As I said I’m new to the game so take my comment with a grain of salt as I am way out of my depth for the time being, but I do find a level pretty useful

I agree with you guys. Its a great tool to detect any discrepancies in rifle fit and fundamentals and one must work to correct those issues instead of being dependent on the level. At the same time, one cannot really see the issue if they dont have a level.

Reactions: Daleteam6
Let's be honest.

The Spuhr integrated level is horseshit at best.

If you're going to get a level, buy one that you can see without taking your head off the cheek piece.

Eh it’s not that bad. I might get a separate one eventually but the integrated one is decent

Let's be honest.

The Spuhr integrated level is horseshit at best.

If you're going to get a level, buy one that you can see without taking your head off the cheek piece.
Speek for yourself I like mine way more than all my others my second favorite is my uso everything else just looks like a big blob of shit hanging off your scope, the vortex levels are ugly

Reactions: Daleteam6
Speek for yourself I like mine way more than all my others my second favorite is my uso everything else just looks like a big blob of shit hanging off your scope, the vortex levels are ugly

Not to mention I see mine just fine without taking my head off the cheek rest

I have a level mounted and rarely use it at all....

.5MOAat200.jpg

I like having it but it doesn't change anything. I'll probably pull it next season.

VooDoo

I like the one on ARC's Xylo. Placed far enough forward for mid 40's + eyes. Has Left, Right, & off.

Use it to set up rifle & get used to building position, then just push it in and forget about it.

I have a Spuhr.....but I never use the level....I can't see it. I really have to bring my head up and look for it. Mostly hidden and hard to read. If I had to make weight...it would probably be the first thing I popped out. In the below pic....canting was not my issue....it was a tricky 7 to 5 o'clock 15mph switchy wind on my 1000 yard target. 300PRC shooting with an Atlas CAL and a PU ELR Bag.

1000ydgroup.png

You don't need a level for PRS. Considering most stuff is 600-700 yards and in, you'd be just fine without it. If you did have a level, I would ignore it unless you were shooting a 1,000+ yard stage from a wonky position.

Reactions: IPoutdoors