• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bubble level

madav8r

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Im looking for an offset bubble level for a 1 in tube and wont break the bank. Does anyone know about the vortex level? How durable is it? I want a level that can go into the field and im not afraid of it getting snagged or broken under normal use. Thanks

Re: Bubble level

I love how Vortex did their 35mm bubble level - and if they offer 1in level I'd take it over other levels.

I've no personal experience with Sinclair's level - but from the picture it looks less convenient (and less offset) that the one from Vortex.

Dude....you posted the same question TWICE in the same section....I recommend checkin out the "Trust the level or the eye" thread in this section. Pay particular attention to LL's posts regarding the fundamentals. Its very informative

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I recommend checkin out the "Trust the level or the eye" thread in this section. Pay particular attention to LL's posts regarding the fundamentals. Its very informative </div></div>
Yes it is. But somehow all these discussions inevitably turn into "best equipment vs. best training" argument. <span style="font-style: italic">Why can't people see that it's both?
smile.gif
</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMelton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I recommend checkin out the "Trust the level or the eye" thread in this section. Pay particular attention to LL's posts regarding the fundamentals. Its very informative </div></div>
Yes it is. But somehow all these discussions inevitably turn into "best equipment vs. best training" argument. <span style="font-style: italic">Why can't people see that it's both?
smile.gif
</span></div></div>

Because people tend to skip the training hoping the gadget will take up the slack. Devices support the shooter who must properly execute the firing task as no device does it for them. Especially a $30 add on.

I guess I view the bubble as also being a training device but it can be used as a crutch depending on how the shooter uses it. If it is used as a tool to double check when you think you have everything right then it can help you. Getting used to setting up the shot the way you think it needs to be then glancing up to see where that bubble is then I think it's a useful instrument. But if you use it to line up the shot instead of the other way around then you're not helping yourself to become a better long range shooter.

I still have them on both of my long range guns, I do try to line up and then glance up to see how well I've done and after a season of using them I feel I've improved that part of my game.

Yes they are cheap, some view them as a crutch and only an inexperienced shooter will use them but like any other part of your shooting machine, it's a tool that is useful and not to be viewed as something a novice would be using. On larger targets at distance a slight cant won't get you off the target but on a really small high value target at 1000 yards that small cant you might misjudge will get you a big goose egg.

Topstrap