• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Bubbles in ocular glass of higher end scope?

noz455sd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2008
Montana
I looks like there are two pieces of glass in the ocular and the one that appears to make up the exterior lens is fine its the one just below it on the inside that at first seemed to have dust all over it but when I looked really close it appears to be tiny bubbles in the glass. Is this normal? If im looking through the scope and the majority of light is in front of me I dont notice it really but when the sun is behind me I feel like im looking into a haze, dirty lens, or something...I cant explain it very well I just feel they are interfering with my view when sun is behind me...Anyone ever hear of anything like this? Thanks!

Re: Bubbles in ocular glass of higher end scope?

What kind of glass is it?

Its well known...But I dont want to say to effect anyone's opinion

Bubbles in the glass are referred to as "seeds". I find it hard to believe that seeds in optical glass would get through the first line of QC let alone make it into final construction.

Thanks for the reply and the information...Thats kinda how I felt. How did it slip by the QC guys? It seems very obvious but at the same time I didnt know if this was an acceptable situation.

Bubbles in glass in high quality scope, to me, unacceptable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me guess...its a leupold </div></div>

Vortex?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is most likely dust that has attached from inside the body, can't imagine even the cheapest of scopes getting seeded glass past QC. </div></div>

^^ this most likely. i have a USO that has some dust on the inside and it looks like bubbles. USO will clean it for free, but its not bad enough to send in at the moment. its the only high end scope i own right now, and its not worth going without my rifle to have it cleaned out.

Ill get the manufacturer to check it out and Im sure they will make it right...I would rather not say the maker because this isnt all that serious unless they dont fix it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me guess...its a leupold </div></div>

Vortex? </div></div>

Dom Pérignon?

Not difficult to figure out just looking at your posts.
wink.gif
They will take care of any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">let me guess...its a leupold </div></div>

He said “higher end scope”
smiley_abused.gif