• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budapest M95 Carbine

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Hello fellas,

I picked up a Budapest M95 Carbine today in a trade today. The barrel, receiver, and stock have matching numbers. The barrel does not have any stamps indicating that it was rechambered at any time, though I can't confirm that it still has the original 8x50r chambering without doing a mold or getting a hold on some ammo (the previous owner said it was the original chambering).

It has the Austrian acceptance stamp from 1915. All parts are "R" stamped with the exception of the bolt, which is "K" stamped (I assume this means it is not original to the rifle). There are no import markings on it, but the stock has initials either stamped or carved into it. You can tell it was done quite some time ago. The previous owner said it was the initials of the vet who brought it back, but there's no way to confirm this.

The buttplate is marked "5SP", which may indicate that it was used in one of the 14 sapper battalions during the period. I have been trying to dig up info on the 5th Sapper Battalion, but my Google-fu is weak tonight. Anyone have any insight on these rifles? It is certainly an interesting piece, and now I have another straight-pull to go with my K31 ;). I will upload pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Don't think ammo is available for it anymore. There used to be some WWII German ammo out there, but I think it has dried up. It was corrosive ammo as well.
Small Arms of the World has more info on these. I'll check my copy and post more info.

That cartridge can be formed from 7.62X54R.

CH4D has the forming die. I used to do this for a M95 rifle I had. Kind of a pain in the ass, but there isn't any other way to shoot it besides finding a custom ammunition manufacturer.

Run the 7.62 brass through the forming die, trim to length and fireform.

Verify the chambering. My reference books are in storage so I can't look it up. IIRC the Hungarian M95 straight pulls with the "S" on the receiver ring or knox form were chambered in 8x56R and without were 8x50R. The rounds DO NOT INTERCHANGE.

I have seen someone commercially producing 8x56R but I don't recall ever seeing 8x50R.

The other catch is these rifles are like the Garand in that they use a mandatory enbloc clip. If you don't have a clip you have a single shot rifle. The clips aren't quite made of unobtanium but they are close.

25 years ago when I was poor and getting started collecting millsurps and the ammo in clips was $30/1000, I wish I'd scraped up $60 to get a couple cases. Now I've got a nice boat anchor.

Last edited:
Does anyone maybe want to sell me a round or two of 8x56r so I can verify the chamber dimensions?

Don't think ammo is available for it anymore. There used to be some WWII German ammo out there, but I think it has dried up. It was corrosive ammo as well.
Small Arms of the World has more info on these. I'll check my copy and post more info.

Hornady was still making the ammo a few years ago.