• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget 223 Bolt Action Trainer. Howa 1500 or RemArms 700?

pewpeweric

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2020
Hello all!

6.5cm has become too expensive to shoot at this time, I don't reload as I do not have the time/space to reload at home. I plan to practice in the time being with a 223 bolt gun until I relocate and have the time/space to reload.

I have been drawn to the Brownell's Howa 1500 .223 barreled action or even the Howa 1500 .223 in the Oryx chassis as it comes from the factory. My requirements are pretty basic, threaded barrel for a comp and an Arca rail. I understand the barreled action now comes in a mini action as opposed to the short action they used to. I am not too worried as I do not plan to spend too much on aftermarket chassis parts or parts more commonly found in the short action configuration.

I also see Remington is back again with their post bankruptcy line of 700 rifles. But it does look like I'll be spending more money replacing the Hogue stock whereas I am good to go with a ~$900 Howa in Oryx chassis. Added bonus with Rem is their rifles now all come standard with a Timney trigger.

Anyone have any input as to whether this is a decent choice to move forward with?

Thanks y'all!

1689544187404.png

I'd go with the Howa. I had a mini 223 but it was a 9 twist and was a slimmer barrel profile, not threaded. The one you are looking at is an 8 twist. I liked the HACT trigger as well.

Reactions: pewpeweric
I would buy Remingtons new 223 with a 8 twist barrel and sell the stock/ BDL mag . With the hundred bucks you will get from the take off hardware buy a KRG stock and Arca rail. The barrel is 26" have it cut to your length and threaded.

I would buy Remingtons new 223 with a 8 twist barrel and sell the stock/ BDL mag . With the hundred bucks you will get from the take off hardware buy a KRG stock and Arca rail. The barrel is 26" have it cut to your length and threaded.
This is what I would do and swap the trigger.

Howa makes nice stuff but it doesn't seem to hold it's value well.

Reactions: pewpeweric
Buy some snap caps for your creedmoor, learn to dryfire with absolute perfection then incorporate different positions and time stress.

But if you want a trainer rifle make it a exact clone of your primary.

Reactions: camocorvette
Hello all!

6.5cm has become too expensive to shoot at this time, I don't reload as I do not have the time/space to reload at home. I plan to practice in the time being with a 223 bolt gun until I relocate and have the time/space to reload.

I have been drawn to the Brownell's Howa 1500 .223 barreled action or even the Howa 1500 .223 in the Oryx chassis as it comes from the factory. My requirements are pretty basic, threaded barrel for a comp and an Arca rail. I understand the barreled action now comes in a mini action as opposed to the short action they used to. I am not too worried as I do not plan to spend too much on aftermarket chassis parts or parts more commonly found in the short action configuration.

I also see Remington is back again with their post bankruptcy line of 700 rifles. But it does look like I'll be spending more money replacing the Hogue stock whereas I am good to go with a ~$900 Howa in Oryx chassis. Added bonus with Rem is their rifles now all come standard with a Timney trigger.

Anyone have any input as to whether this is a decent choice to move forward with?

Thanks y'all!

View attachment 8184159
I'd go Howa, stock trigger is pretty good when ajusted, not sure about the post-bankruptcy Remingtons, but the old ones you pretty much had to swap trigger, and more often than not also true the action.
Howa will probably work out cheaper, and is a solid performer, just find a stock/chassis and plop it in, and you're good to go.

I bought an ADL and am going to put it in a KRG Bravo.

Reactions: Easy_E
IMO both the Tikka and Howa are fine rifles. I favor the Howa due to it's bolt angle, it just fits me. I chose the Remington due to the claims of upgrading the manufacturing. I'll have to measure the trigger pull weight but it felt like a reasonable 4 lbs right out of the box. The bolt works smoothly and everything looks fine. The jeweling isn't impressive or aesthetically pleasing. But my main concern is is it accurate, reliable, and safe.

Just my .02 here. I would take a very hard look at the savage 110 Elite Precision. I bought mine for well under 2k and it came in an MDT chassis. I've had great results with it. It is incredibly easy to shoot. There is very little recoil and the rounds go where I point them. I am having very good luck with 69gr HPBT bullets from Sierra. I will be testing some 77 gr tomorrow with two different powder charges. First I will try 24.0gr of n-140 then 24gr of sta-ball match. I will try to follow up on those later.

It has been one of the best rifle choices that I have ever made. To say the least I have been thrilled with the results. I changed the trigger to an Elftmen and added the bolt lift kit. Both were significant upgrades over the factory offering. The other nice part about the rifle is that it comes with a 26" barrel. Also savage barrels are a sinch to swap. You will probably spend more initially than you intended but you will spend about at much upgrading a Howa or Remington in my opinion. I also want to state that I am not a Savage fan boy (I usually make fun of them) but this offering is a tremendous value.

I have been very happy with my howa mini action 223 . If you go that route I would suggest you install the D.I.P. bottom metal . I was going to get a different stock but decided to just use the factory one it's not that bad . 77 grain matchkings will due sub moa pretty consistently . I also relocated the mag release which is very nice now .
IMG_4062.jpeg

Reactions: lou400a
Just my .02 here. I would take a very hard look at the savage 110 Elite Precision. I bought mine for well under 2k and it came in an MDT chassis. I've had great results with it. It is incredibly easy to shoot. There is very little recoil and the rounds go where I point them. I am having very good luck with 69gr HPBT bullets from Sierra. I will be testing some 77 gr tomorrow with two different powder charges. First I will try 24.0gr of n-140 then 24gr of sta-ball match. I will try to follow up on those later.

It has been one of the best rifle choices that I have ever made. To say the least I have been thrilled with the results. I changed the trigger to an Elftmen and added the bolt lift kit. Both were significant upgrades over the factory offering. The other nice part about the rifle is that it comes with a 26" barrel. Also savage barrels are a sinch to swap. You will probably spend more initially than you intended but you will spend about at much upgrading a Howa or Remington in my opinion. I also want to state that I am not a Savage fan boy (I usually make fun of them) but this offering is a tremendous value.
You`re a brave man.