• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Action Question

lts1ow

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Gave up trying to find a cheap lefty 223 off the shelf so going back down the remage path. End result would be short barrel, XLR chassis, budget glass, and the ability to buy cheap ammo to work positional stuff at local range. (200yd only)

If you had to pick between a factory savage 10, or rem700 which would get the nod? (I believe I can get a model 10 in 223)

I believe the savage may let me run its factory trigger down lower than a garbage 700 trigger would, and it comes with a scope rail base, but no experience with em. Used to R700 and its clones.

Thoughts?

That’s a tough one, I’ve personally been a savage guy but after two custom actions it’s hard to go back. I’d go with a 700 action, due to the ease of upgrading things down the road. Savage bolt cycle kind of leave a lot to be desired, the lack of triggers is kind of annoying, but the aftermarket is starting to get behind them more as time goes on.

My trainer Factory Rem 700 20" sps .223. Has a tac sport pro same as my comp rifle. Here's 5 @ 430 using 75 bthp. Plenty good enough for positional practice
IMG_7072.PNG
IMG_6702.JPG

I have an older savage 10FP in 223, and I'm going to hazard a guess that you can still get one no problem. I did swap mine to a better stock than the cheap Choate chassis it came with like you're thinking of doing, but it's a been a wonderful rifle as long as I've owned it. Great value for how well it shoots.
The Accutrigger is OK for a stock trigger. And it's easy to put lighter or cut springs in to lower the pull weight, but it is nowhere near as clean as a good aftermarket 700 trigger. I also have problems with it dropping to safe if I run the bolt too hard because of the light springs, so that's something to consider as well. Better than it firing though i suppose! It is a good trigger for a rifle you're teaching someone to shoot on because of that feature though. Takes a tiny bit more thought to pull the blade and the trigger, and is less likely to get set off by someone stuffing their booger hooks in there before they're really ready to touch of the shot.
If you're looking for something you can just get cheap range time in with the Savage is a good buy. If you're looking for something you can run hard to simulate competitive shooting I would stick to the R700. Or if you think you may want to build it up into something else in the future, the R700 will of course be better supported to do that.

Learn to shoot right handed?
In pistol training, I was required to be adequate shooting off hand. I was never “good” at it, but I’m really glad I know that I can.

My PRS rig is lefty, as is my other 308 bolt, committed to shooting southpaw.

Edited:I don't think my suggestion was helpful.

As for the Remington you can find the older 40x or pre recall walker triggers cheap. Just have to make sure they haven't been monkied with. Ive bought some of the older walker's and replaced the xmark pros when I get a lowend 700 and they work well. Just a good cleaning and test and away we go. My 223 R700 LRT is one of my favorites and its stock.
21543778_10159297141665427_3639622370416794483_o.jpg

Last edited:
I’d agree, you know the platform pretty well and it’s the lego if bolt actions. I think northland shooting supplies has bare actions if you didn’t want to buy a complete to just get an action

I’d agree, you know the platform pretty well and it’s the lego if bolt actions. I think northland shooting supplies has bare actions if you didn’t want to buy a complete to just get an action

Yup, James has supplied the few 700 actions I have bought so far. Much easier to find the bare action in lefty than full lefty ADL models.

Rem 700 is my vote. I own a Savage in 223 and it’s alright. I’m pretty sure you can purchase a trued 700 on northland shooter supply for ~ $400 and add a barrel and trigger.

You’ll be in there like swim wear!