• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget beater build

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
I have been slowly gathering extra savage parts for awhile and now have everything together to build a total budget build. I want to try a real switch barrel set up that can be fast and accurate so I am going to try the JB weld on the headspaced nut with a modified wrench where I can pull the barrel without pulling the action. Heres my part list.

Used Savage Model 10 centerfeed action with SS bolt
.223 Savage SS bolt head complete
.308 Savage SS bolt head complete
.308 Magazine with single shot follower - Feeds .223 fine.
Glade Armory tactical bolt handle
20" SS fluted bull barrel .223 1:7 twist
20" SS varmint contour .308 1:10 twist
Boyds Tacticool Stock
EGW 20 MOA mount
Weaver Tactical 6 screw medium rings
Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope

I have a whopping $800 into these parts. I am going to cerakote all the metal and leave the stock black for now. Thinking of a mix of Blue Titanium and Socom Blue to darken it up to make a Midnight Titanium color. Another option is a 75% Graphite Black and 25% Titanium mix. My primary LR rifle is a Savage .260 in and XLR chassis which is OD Green/Black so I don't want to go green again or tan. Other ideas on color?

Anyone done the fixed nut switch barrel thing? If so any tips? I plan to snug the barrels up on the headspace guage fill the threads with JB weld then tighten to only about 20lbs. Once cured I'll pull it off, remount it and check headspace again. Once done I hope to be able to switch barrels with just a quick headspace check after swapping out the bolt heads. It will be cool to go from .308 to 223 in a few minutes for such a small investment. Should be light enough to carry around and cheap enough not to worry about bangin it up.