• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Budget binos <$300

Twistid

I'm pilot, I can fly
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
Code 3 to Hawaii
Looking to get a set of beginner budget binos <$300, from googling and reading it seems it is possible to get a quality set binos for this price but just like scopes there are so many choices. Also just like scopes, I assume there are ones to avoid like the plague...

So far I'm looking at Doug's Athlon Cronus 8x42 ( Athlon Optics Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular - Camera Land NY ) for $270 , downsides is it seems outdated, heavy and Chinese (is outdated a bad thing?).

Athlon Ares 8x42 ( Athlon Optics Ares 8x42 Binocular - Camera Land NY ) $200, so cheaper(!), imperceptibly lighter, but still discontinued and Chinese.

Steiner Tactical T750 7x50 ( https://store.steiner-optics.com/products/t750r?variant=31735476060253 ) $300 (most expensive), much lighter, unknown origin.

Steiner Predator AF 8x30 ( https://store.steiner-optics.com/products/predator-af-8x30?variant=20291100639325 ) $215, lightest (!), still unknown origin.

What's your intended use for the binos? Hunting, birding, etc.?
I don't know much about optics generally, so from one beginner to another, here are my thoughts:
I bought the Ares 8x42 for the $200 price during CameraLand's Black Friday sale. They're larger and heavier than I'd like for hunting, but the glass is a big step from what I was using before. They have a wide FOV and I'm very happy with their value at that price.

This is for hiking/hunting. Doesn't necessarily have to be smallest and lightest possible but the more so the better.

The other binos I considered were the Kowa BDII 6.5x32, they're 10oz lighter than the Ares 8x42 I chose. For hunting I like light weight and wide FOV, but the Ares were half the price and I haven't found the weight to be a problem.

Reactions: Davo308
I bought both the Athlon Ares 8x42 and Meopta Optica 8x42 so that I could compare them side by side. In nearly all respects, the Athlon is a superior bino. Edge-to-edge clarity, natural color rendition and the transition to low light performance are all a bit better in the Athlon. In their favor, the Meopta has a slightly better depth of field/focus and they're a few ounces lighter than the Athlon. One of the most significant optical differences was the amount of internal stray light reflections the Meopta exhibited when viewing close to the sun or bright lights. The Athlon controls internal reflections much better than the Meopta. I also have a pair of Athlon Ares 10x42 and they're every bit as good as the 8x42. At Camera Land's close-out pricing, the Athlon is hard to beat.

FYI, here's a link to a very detailed review of the Athlon Ares 10x42 - Best Binocular Reviews
Pretty much everything said there applies to the 8x42 as well, with the 8x having a wider field of view and a slightly larger exit pupil.

Also, I believe Athlon's Cronus binos are made in Japan. You might ask Doug for confirmation about that.

Last edited:
I have Leica Trinovids 8x BCA

glass is better than anything else I’ve seen under $1k

recommended by a birder friend that knows binos the way we know riflescopes, gift from my wife when she asked him what I might like

recommend them very highly

they will not be as sturdy as Steiner or cheap as Athlon

But they’re the high value / low price option in the Leica lineup

at least they were 6 years ago

I bought both the Athlon Ares 8x42 and Meopta Optica 8x42 so that I could compare them side by side. In nearly all respects, the Athlon is a superior bino. Edge-to-edge clarity, natural color rendition and the transition to low light performance are all a bit better in the Athlon. In their favor, the Meopta has a slightly better depth of field/focus and they're a few ounces lighter than the Athlon. One of the most significant optical differences was the amount of internal stray light reflections the Meopta exhibited when viewing close to the sun or bright lights. The Athlon controls internal reflections much better than the Meopta. I also have a pair of Athlon Ares 10x42 and they're every bit as good as the 8x42. At Camera Land's close-out pricing, the Athlon is hard to beat.

FYI, here's a link to a very detailed review of the Athlon Ares 10x42 - Best Binocular Reviews
Pretty much everything said there applies to the 8x42 as well, with the 8x having a wider field of view and a slightly larger exit pupil.

Also, I believe Athlon's Cronus binos are made in Japan. You might ask Doug for confirmation about that.
Thanks for your review, yeah looks like the Ares is the way to go considering price and they are both Chinese. Reviews of both look good however I'm not sure if the Cronus is 35% better than the Ares to justify the extra cost.

I originally thought it was made in Japan as well but I found a review that highlighted it was made in China with picture proof. https://www.birdforum.net/threads/athlon-optics-cronus-8-5x42-uhd-review.395897/

Reactions: rhsc
The other binos I considered were the Kowa BDII 6.5x32, they're 10oz lighter than the Ares 8x42 I chose. For hunting I like light weight and wide FOV, but the Ares were half the price and I haven't found the weight to be a problem.
I plan to pick up a pair of these soon. Really like the discontinued vortex viper 6x32 and the old vortex 6.5x30 porros.

Reactions: Feurhand
This is for hiking/hunting. Doesn't necessarily have to be smallest and lightest possible but the more so the better.
The Leopold Yosemite is a good value, I like the 6x30 but the 8x30 isn't bad.

Another option that will allow you better optics is buying used.

I picked up a pair of Cabela’s Intensity HD binoculars a few years ago. I got the 8x42. I thought they were a good bang for the buck option. The salesman(can I say that now?) let me pick out three pair and went outside with me. I compared the Cabelas Intensity against the Vortex Viper and Leupold BX2. The Viper was twice the price (~$400). I picked out a black and white bordered sign on a store about 400 yards away to check for CA. The Cabelas and Vortex were very similar with very minor chromatic aberration and were better than the BX. Considering the price difference and the equal performance in CA, color rendition and clarity, I chose the Cabela‘s over the other two. I have no experience with the Athlon binoculars but have an Ares BTR 4.5-27 on my 22 and am quite pleased with it in that combination. I have no experience with KOWA binos but have many hours behind their spotting scopes are they are AMAZING! The Cabela’s Intensity have been through hell weather and terrain wise stalking Aoudad in Texas hill country and Elk in New Mexico. I have no complaints about them. Good luck in your search.

I have the 8.5 Cronus and like them a lot. I paid $299 for them and would again. Not much downside to these for under $300. If you’re looking for something outside of China you’re going to be spending a good chunk more for equal performance.

I plan to pick up a pair of these soon. Really like the discontinued vortex viper 6x32 and the old vortex 6.5x30 porros.
I'm intrigued by those Kowas...without any experience with them, they seem like the ideal hunting binoculars for me. Definitely interested in your thoughts on them.
I'd love to find one of the 6x32 Vipers too, but it seems anyone who's got them isn't selling.

Reactions: Davo308
I'm intrigued by those Kowas...without any experience with them, they seem like the ideal hunting binoculars for me. Definitely interested in your thoughts on them.
I'd love to find one of the 6x32 Vipers too, but it seems anyone who's got them isn't selling.
When I pick them up I will report back. I am figuring that in light of the excellent 6x30s and 32s that a half x bump in mag power won't negatively impact fov, eye box, and low light transmission.

Reactions: Feurhand