• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Budget Custom Rifle Build?

tmxring

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2006
Athens AL
Hey Fellas,
I've been thinking for a while about trying to build a less expensive but still custom rifle. Here's my questions to you.

Is having a detach mag a must even though it cost around $200+?
Is having a tactical bolt handle a must?
How about stocks?

Basically what my goal is, is to build a custom rifle with the same 1/2 moa guarantee on my full custom builds but as cheap as possible priced. Example= Remington 5R's sell for $1200-$1300? Would you give approx $600-$700 more for a same platform rifle but with a custom barrel, trued action, cerakoted, bedded, 1/2 moa guarantee? I've accumulated some extra barrels, actions, etc. Thinking about building 3-5 of these platforms. Thoughts? Thanks, Tooter

Just a suggestion, if you could put the barreled action on a stock, shoot the guaranteed group, then separate the two, and sale the barreled action, the market would be more open, most of what turns me and I'm sure others away is the stock choice on particular builders 'built guns'.

Just a suggestion, if you could put the barreled action on a stock, shoot the guaranteed group, then separate the two, and sale the barreled action, the market would be more open, most of what turns me and I'm sure others away is the stock choice on particular builders 'built guns'.

Great idea! I have noticed that stocks are like shoes, everybody wants a different size, color, and style. However it does pose a slight problem because once bedded, that barreled action needs to stay with that stock. I may use a Manners chassis as the test platform. Thanks

Last edited:
Detach mag not a must...look at Tac-Ops.
Tactical bolt seems to be a hallmark of a custom rifle. Std Remington bolt doesn't look custom.
Stocks...Manners...MCS-EH1...std fill...price efficient...with a hint of tactical...otherwise MCS-T.
If going chassis stock...Mcrees.
20-22" .308 barrel not too heavy. (Bartlein, Krieger or Rock Creek)
or 6.5 CM 22-24 inch barrel.
Metal cerakoted in color to match the molded color of the Manners stock (Desert, GAP, woodland)

If you can make it look and shoot like some of the rifles from SAC, Accurate Ordnance, Spartan, GAP, and price it for $2000 with demonstrated (5-shot) groups...those rifles should sell.

I'd like a threaded bolt handle in a common thread size. You could supply a basic cheap knob, and the customer could install their choice of replacement if desired. I'd prefer a detectable mag, but it prolly wouldn't be a deal killer.