• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Budget Game Getter

Big_Kumar

MMNC(SS)
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2019
NM
I am getting ready to upgrade the glass on one of my budget hunting rigs. It is an H&R single shot .243 that I bought probably 15 years ago on sale for $169 brand new. Right now it is wearing a Leupold American Marksman 3-9x40 that I bought probably 3-5 years ago on sale for $159. It is obviously nothing special or fancy, but it is a simple and reliable game getter that consistently groups around 1.25 MOA. It doesn’t really go beyond 100 yds very often, and has never been beyond 200 yds. There is nothing wrong with the scope that’s on it now and I have never missed an opportunity because of it, but I am ready to upgrade a little bit. I am looking to stay around $300-500, but that is somewhat flexible. I just can’t mentally justify spending 5 times the money on a scope as I did on this particular rifle.

Things I am looking for:
- Around $300-500 unless it is a ridiculous deal
- 3-9, 2-10, etc.
- Capped turrets preferred, locking would be acceptable (Mils if exposed)
- Simple, SFP reticle

Scopes that I have been looking into:
- SWFA 2.5-10
- Leupold VX3HD 3.5-10
- Meopta Optika5 2-10
- Burris Fullfield IV 2.5-10

Any opinions or insights would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you @gr8fuldoug.

I don’t know much about Sightron and Athlon, but it gives me some more options. I saw the Burris Signature series a while back but kind of forgot about them because of the MOA turrets.

ETA: I fixed the original post for mils if it has exposed turrets.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I want to offer a different perspective...

You said you want to upgrade "one of my budget hunting rigs." Rather than making incremental upgrades to each of the budget options, why not just put more eggs in one soulful basket?

For the $$$ you're talking here, could you just sell it and make something else you have your main squeeze?

For 100 yards or so I think everyone needs a lightweight somewhat precision repeater bolt action rifle in an appropriate caliber (like .243, especially if you're already loading for it). Do you have that? If so, does that rifle have the glass that you like? Is there ever a situation where you would take the single shot that you're talking about upgrading instead of the other rifle?

I just know over the years I need fewer and fewer rifles for hunting, and I get more and more particular about each of them.

You said you want to upgrade "one of my budget hunting rigs." Rather than making incremental upgrades to each of the budget options, why not just put more eggs in one soulful basket?

For the $$$ you're talking here, could you just sell it and make something else you have your main squeeze?
This is not my primary or even secondary setup, but I keep it around for sentimental reasons. I only really take it out a couple times a season at most, and that is really just when I feel like changing things up and taking something different. Kind of like grabbing my muzzleloader or bow when I don’t have to either.

While I am certainly no glass snob, I generally run something in the Razor II/MK5/NX8 range when I am looking for something to put on a rifle. I am just not looking to spend that kind of money on this setup, but I’m also not expecting that kind of performance either.

Sentimental reasons... Got it! I thought you were trying to scrounge up a good hunting rifle, my mistake.

Sentimental reasons are a limiting factor for me, too. I think I've built the perfect hunting rifle for my area, but sometimes the "perfect" rifle is the one that your grandpa left you when you were a kid (speaking for myself, here).

By the way, that one, an old Marlin 30-30, had a gawd-awful scope on it. My solution was to remove it and put on iron sights. Now it's super light and handy for pushing the thick stuff for my buddies after my freezer's full.

Reactions: Big_Kumar
I actually found a gently used Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x32 for $350. It may not be the best option, but I feel like it was a pretty solid deal.

Reactions: perfect_liberty